SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : MARK 11: 24 On Prayer (anyone know?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

MARK 11: 24 On Prayer (anyone know?)

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good sermon or discussion on Mark 11:24. I am extremely focused on this passage of late and trying to figure it out.

Obviously none of the apostles nor any other man of God in history has ever cast a mountain into the sea nor moved one and obviously Believers in Christ don't always get whatever they ask for and believe for so what does this passage REALLY mean? I know of people who had faith that God would heal their child and so didnt bother take the child to the doctor and the child then died. They believed that what they asked God for would come to pass; they believed they had what they had asked for, just as the passage commands, yet they didnt get it and so it brought shame upon Christ and Christians in our community. I can think of many other examples. So either the passage is false or my/their/our understanding of it is off. If you know of a very good sermon on this passage please let me know. Thank you.

2011/5/20 1:45
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: MARK 11: 24 On Prayer (anyone know?)

Quote: 'So either the passage is false ...'

I do realise you then went on to say that the understanding might be off.

However, since it was Jesus Himself who spoke these words, how can it be false?

It is a travesty in Christianity when Christians, due to lack of understanding, have let people die and brought dishonour to God's name?

Can't think of any sermons concerning this particular scripture, but I hope you can find one.

God bless.

2011/5/20 2:04Profile

Hi,

There are a good number of sermons by David Wilkerson on tscnyc.org under the sermons tab, which come up to the search for mountain + faith. I particularly remember 'Moving Your Mountain' but there are more, and Carter Conlon also, has preached on this passage.

2011/5/20 7:44
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

If we are saved by Grace through faith, "which is not of my own", and I don't even have the faith of the smallest mustard seed, how can I have faith that saves? Because it is not my faith that saves, but the "Faith of the Son of God" that is birthed in me at salvation, born again by the incorruptable Seed of God. Gal 2:16-20 Seed; 1Peter 1:23

In Christ: Phillip, who is no longer I, "But Christ who lives in me" "the life I now live I live by the faith of the Son of God". Praise God.

2011/5/20 17:00Profile

Re:

Alive-to-God,

Does the sermon EXPLAIN the passage or does it just use that verse/passage to support something he says about "moving your mountain"? I need something that really dissects and defines the meaning of the passage. I looked at gty.org because usually John MacArthur is good at that sort of thing but i didnt find anything there. Thanks for your input.

2011/5/20 17:34

Hello CyAn,

There is more than one way to preach this passage of Mark. I do recommend this sermon. At the time it was given, it was very powerful. It's one in which you can become part of those listening, and pray at the end, too. He leaves a lot of time for personal prayer.

It depends whether you want just an exposition that doesn't ruffle your personal feathers, or, you want to use it as an aid to moving on with God in whatever way He leads as you listen.

2011/5/20 17:44
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Re: Mountain Moving Faith

CyAn, Go back to Mark 11:13-14 the Withered fig tree. What did Christ say to the fig tree and most importantly Why?

Then read Mark 11: 20-26.

The fig tree is the symbol for Israel. Peter brought to remembrance the fig tree that Jesus cursed in Mark 11: 12-14
And Mark 11: 20-26 is the lessoned the disciples and we learn from Christ.

In Verse 22 Jesus say's "Have Faith In God" My Expositors bible say's "literally means have the Faith of God". Such a faith judges profession/ the fig tree/ removes difficulties [the mountain / forgives injuries.

The mountain is used as a symbol i.e. mountain of difficulties. God is a miracle working God and will do so for any of his children, "whosoever". However, every petition must be predicated as well on the Will of God.

Hope this helps.

2011/5/22 12:26Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Re: on mountain moving faith...

CyAn.

If you are looking for a time less classic that digs deep into Mark 11: 20-24 read Kenneth Haggins book "Mountain Moving faith"

I have it and re-read it again and the teaching is sound even though Haggin was a word of faith minister. however, I do not see anything wrong with the word of faith movement in some of there teachings as long as it lines up with the word of God.

Also Haggin mentions in the book that the greek new testament says "Have faith in God", should read "Have the God Kind of Faith".

2011/5/23 14:42Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Hey,

I wanted to ask, how come some translations of the Bible put in Galatians 2:20, "Faith OF the Son of God", instead of "faith IN the Son of God"? Today when I read "Faith OF" on this blog post, that actually revived me today!

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/5/23 17:33Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Most of the newer translations change the "Faith of the Son of God", to faith in the Son of God, The same with verse 16 also, which takes away from 1 Cor 1:30. Most Greek scholars agree it is, "the Faith of the Son of God". It is the saving faith of God that gives us "wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption", For this is what Christ has been made to us. Stick with "Faith of". "Faith in" puts salvation faith squarly on our backs, taking away from God's work and Christ on the Cross, us being given to the Son of God, without which there is no salvation.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/5/23 20:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy