SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Today I was convicted of my righteousness

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Today I was convicted of my righteousness

The Holy Spirit convinced me again of my 100% righteousness in Christ. It is good to know that because I have been made righteous by what Christ has already done I can never be more righteous and that I can never be less righteous.

2011/5/17 12:15
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Today I was convicted of my righteousness

My friend, the scriptures do not use the word 100% righteouness of Christ. Though our standing and salvation are in Christ alone, we can live in this life not pleasing to God. We need to submit to His ways constantly and be slaves of righteousness, being an instrument of righteousness that is useful in His hands: Romans 6.

God loves us in Christ despite our sins and short-comings. But we do not want to persist in sin in anyway however small before a holy God and the love of the son of God to us!

He who overcomes. is the call from Jesus Christ in the book of revelation to His church. May we follow Christ whole-heartily not on our own but by His spirit and from the foundation of our acceptance from God through Christ.

But let us not fool ourselves if we are in sin that we think we are 100% righteous before God the Scriptures simply do not allow this though some clever theologians do.

2011/5/17 12:20Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

this is a good audio message on the Spirit-filled life and shows that there is our part to be had in the Christian life daily. Though it is not salvatical it is very important that we follow Christ fully and not grieve Him.

The Spirit Filled Life by Oswald J. Smith
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=6612&commentView=itemComments

2011/5/17 12:23Profile

Re: Today I was convicted of my righteousness

That is indeed an excellent sermon, Greg.

Quote:
It is good to know that because I have been made righteous by what Christ has already done I can never be more righteous and that I can never be less righteous.

John 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more. Romans 1:4 And declared [to be] the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from ALL SIN. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS.

Matthew 22:11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: 12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. 13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; 10 and cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and [about] the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, 12 saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, [be] unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they? 14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Amen, tuc. Blessings in Christ to you.

2011/5/17 14:46

Re: righteouness of Christ

Yes it is true that the scriptures do not use the word 100% Righteousness of Christ.

There is only ONE man's Righteousness that is acceptable to God - the man Jesus Christ.

I now have HIM and have been made Righteous and as a result I am as just Righteous as Christ is.

2011/5/17 14:53
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

tuc, what you are saying is the gospel truth for those of us who are in Christ. Nothing of our own we bring only to the cross we cling. It is the gospel of the grace of God in which is revealed a righteousness from God which is by faith apart from works(Romans 1:17). The Father does not impute our sins to our account anymore but instead imputes His own righteousness to our account.

That said, I understand Greg's concern. There are far too many who are preaching the grace of God as a license to sin(Jude 1:4). Easy believism is running rampant in these days and we must wage holy war against that false gospel which is no gospel at all. And even among true believers there is a rampant watering down of the doctrine of sanctification. As stated in other threads, the fear of God is missing in many of our churches and in many of our lives.

So while it is true that we are completely justified or positionally righteous before God through faith in Christ apart from any merit or works of our own, we are also being sanctified and conformed into His image by the work of God's Spirit in our lives. If we are true believers that process of sanctification will be innevitable and obvious.

2011/5/17 15:41Profile

Re: righteouness of Christ

Tuc,

It's important to remember that there is a race for us to run with the end of overcoming the world, as sermonindex and Alive-to-God pointed out. Being in Christ is a matter of abiding in him and bringing forth the fruit of the Spirit while putting to death the deeds of the flesh. The Bible never gives any hope of the imputed righteousness of Christ and mercy to those who live after the flesh. That is why the nature of one's deeds are often , if not always, given in the Bible as the evidence of true faith in Christ and thus of ultimate salvation.

"He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." (Revelation 21:7-8)

"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him." (james 1:12)

"For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience." (Ephesians 5:5-6)

The gospel is a gospel of power to be free from sin's dominion and to live to glorify God. When we are under grace in Christ that power will be manifest.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to EVERY ONE THAT BELIEVETH; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God REVEALED from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." (Romans 1:16-17)

"But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ UNTO AND UPON ALL THEM THAT BELIEVE: for there is no difference" (Romans 3:21-22)

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." (Romans 6:14)

Thus, if we are hearing from God, along with the truth that there is no righteousness but in Christ, will also be conviction wherever sin reigns that we must yield to Christ (as Romans 6 in its entirety shows) and find grace to overcome.

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:1-2)

This shows there is a race for us run and that we must lay aside every weight and sin to look to Jesus in order to run it. This chapter proves that truly looking to Jesus involves- striving against sin (vs.4), enduring chastening that we might partake of God's holiness and bare the peaceable fruit of righteousness in us or we're not God's children (verses 5-11), exercising ourselves by following after peace with all men and holiness, without which none shall see the Lord (verses 12-14) and "Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears." (Hebrews 12:15-17)

That's a lot, but antinomianism, the idea that one's works have nothing to do with their salvation is an evil doctrine that has deceived millions into thinking their own life is covered by the righteousness of Christ when the scriptures never teach that. I don't know if you were advocating that, but clarity should be brought to this issue. Ultimately the evidence of faith in Christ is the Spirit of Christ (Galatians 3:13-14, John 7:37-39) which glorifies Jesus, sets free from the law of sin and death, and fulfills the righteousness of the law (See Romans 8:1-4). A walk/race in the Spirit which comes by abiding in Christ is true Christianity and nothing else according to the scriptures.

"But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God." (Galatians 6:14-16)

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live." (Romans 8:13)

2011/5/17 15:48

Re:

Amen Oracio, The Bible is clear that true faith in Christ results in sanctification, which is being given the divine nature by the Holy Spirit and bearing the Spirit's fruit as we abide in Christ.

"To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me." (Acts 26:18)

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14)

"For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren, Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee." (Hebrews 2:10-12- making it clear that those who are God's children and Jesus' brethren are sanctified)

2011/5/17 15:55
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
tuc, what you are saying is the gospel truth for those of us who are in Christ. Nothing of our own we bring only to the cross we cling. It is the gospel of the grace of God in which is revealed a righteousness from God which is by faith apart from works(Romans 1:17). The Father does not impute our sins to our account anymore but instead imputes His own righteousness to our account.

That said, I understand Greg's concern. There are far too many who are preaching the grace of God as a license to sin(Jude 1:4). Easy believism is running rampant in these days and we must wage holy war against that false gospel which is no gospel at all. And even among true believers there is a rampant watering down of the doctrine of sanctification. As stated in other threads, the fear of God is missing in many of our churches and in many of our lives.

So while it is true that we are completely justified or positionally righteous before God through faith in Christ apart from any merit or works of our own, we are also being sanctified and conformed into His image by the work of God's Spirit in our lives. If we are true believers that process of sanctification will be innevitable and obvious.

Amen.

2011/5/17 15:57Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I hope it is not too redundant to say again, Amen Oracio. This seems to be one of the major battles of our generation. May we be well suited to meet the occasion by the grace of God.

2011/5/17 16:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy