SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What WAS Tozer doing in there??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
Ada Tozer could not be a Suzannah Wesley - who spent so much time with her 15 children, raising them up in the LORD and would NEVER speak against her husband. Ada Tozer was Dead Wrong to say such things against her husband and their private lives. Sorry if some disagree. I would rather have a man like Tozer than a very attentive man to myself. I'd rather just use that time to get on my face as well. I'd rather be a Suzannah Wesley with 15 than a backstabber of my husband with 7. This is troubling indeed. I'd rather hear what Ravenhill said of Tozer, if I could get the book, but maybe someone here could have the time to just quote some things. I'd have given my right arm to have a father or husband that took GOD that seriously. I had neither a father to raise me nor a husband that was 'there' but for a short time, when he was what I thought was 'on fire for GOD' and would spend hours in his den, with the Word and translating the Greek, I'd keep the home quiet and rejoiced to GOD that he was occupying himself with what GOD had called him to. If what Greg posted is true, that Tozer only laid on his face from 9-12, I feel even more that Ada was wrong to speak of a great man of GOD behind his back in that way. What if Gwen Wilkerson did anything like that to us now? I would like to hear from Tozer's 7 children about their mother and their father, IF they are worthy to speak of either of them because they themselves have developed a walk with GOD and are not blaming their parents if they're not. No good wife would speak about a Godly, much used by GOD husband in that way. Nothing she is quoted to have been said, should have been said - for "GOD's" sake and the ministry of Tozer's sake.

Amen Sister JiG. I was utterly astonished as well when I heard some of what Ada said about her husband. Quite heartbreaking to say the least. It still bothers me..

2011/5/17 17:31Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Amen, Jesus-is-GOD. Good thoughts.

2011/5/17 17:32Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I would rather have a man like Tozer than a very attentive man to myself. I'd rather just use that time to get on my face as well. I'd rather be a Suzannah Wesley with 15 than a backstabber of my husband with 7.

As far as I know Ada was always respectful of her husband publicly. She was a godly woman and shared some of the same tendencies to be 'distant' with A.W. Tozer. But she did not hide her feelings later in life when asked how her life had changed since remarriage. I would recommend reading both biographies to get a feel for how things seemed to have been. Again, Tozer himself was careful not to glorify men so as to overstate their good qualities and cover over their shortcomings. I have to concur with much of what Dr. Brown wrote in his review.

We have to be balanced in this life and realize that God is pleased with us as we go about our daily lives living for Him. It is not necessary to bring to God offerings He has never required at our hands. We cannot improve on simple obedience. If we are walking in obedience we are living the, 'well done thou good and faithful servant' type of life.

2011/5/17 17:41Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Robert W said..

Quote:
That sounded very selfish in my ears when I first heard it. But after some years of reflection I realize that Tozer had a responsibility to get up and see about his family. To provide them with their needs emotionally. Women sometimes get bent out of shape when the husband is glues in front of the TV watching football for 6 hours Saturday and Sunday; is it scriptural or even sensical to spend so much time in study and prayer that life comes to a halt? Just asking. I know it sound very pious, but where is the precedent for it in scripture?

This is quoted in the new Ravenhill biography.
Quote:
Leonard had a high view of marriage and deep commitment to their loving relationship. But like any husband, there were times he had to be reminded of this. One night after Martha and Len had prayed and prepared for bed, he lingered in the living room, continuing to pray. Shortly, he heard Martha call out, “Len, come on to bed.” He replied, “I will come when I finish.” But, Martha’s words were even more insistent, “Len, you also have a wife!” God spoke to him through those words. He got up from prayer, went to the bedroom and slipped into bed. He later said that sometimes the most spiritual thing a man can do is to go to bed with his wife!

Who knows the context of Ada's quote, but it's still bothersome to some degree..

2011/5/17 17:57Profile

Re:

These men who did these biographies - did they know Tozer and his household personally? I'm sorry if I don't know the answer to that question.
I believe Ravenhill may have known more.

All I see in Ada's remarks after her remarriage was derogatory about A.W. and unnecessary and very self-centered or 'self' focused and not focused on the affects his ministry has had on the many.

My concern is not - as I tried to get across in my post - was not to lift up a man but to find the great men in our Bibles who had a strong or prophetic call on their lives and whether they had wives and children also.

To look only at the Biblical way that these husbands and wives and children lived their lives and not any man outside of the Bible.

There is a vast difference in the lives of 'true' prophets or the Apostles than in the average Believer and their wives should respect that calling.

I would like to only examine the lives of those great men of our Bibles and then hear from someone who actually knew Tozer while he was alive.
Was this "Dr. Michael Brown" who wrote this - or another Brown and how about the other biographer?

Again, my only purpose is to line all of this up with Biblical relationships of great men of GOD with their families. The balance can only be found in His Word, is my desire - whether one is called to a great world-wide ministry and those who are not and those who think they are called to something greater than what GOD has called them to.

Thanks!

2011/5/17 18:04
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
All I see in Ada's remarks after her remarriage was derogatory about A.W. and unnecessary and very self-centered or 'self' focused and not focused on the affects his ministry has had on the many.

It seems very disrespectful and dishonouring.

With Leonard, I think I could relate a little, I have burnt food several times in the last few weeks, because of not focusing on the needs around me I think! :P

2011/5/17 18:10Profile

Re:

:)

I can relate to E. Elliot who hated kitchen work and GOD blessed her with Lars who loves cooking - :p (:

What part is it that you mean about "relating to Leonard". I haven't read his book or wherever you are referring to.

Bless you Sister!

2011/5/17 18:23
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

"Leonard had a high view of marriage and deep commitment to their loving relationship. But like any husband, there were times he had to be reminded of this. One night after Martha and Len had prayed and prepared for bed, he lingered in the living room, continuing to pray. Shortly, he heard Martha call out, “Len, come on to bed.” He replied, “I will come when I finish.” But, Martha’s words were even more insistent, “Len, you also have a wife!” God spoke to him through those words. He got up from prayer, went to the bedroom and slipped into bed. He later said that sometimes the most spiritual thing a man can do is to go to bed with his wife!"

This one. :)

2011/5/17 19:12Profile

Re:

Hi RobertW,

I am reminded of this:

Mat 9:36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

I agree that God's children should be balanced and our love for God should translate into a love for people, starting right in our own home. Our love for God should translate into a love for people and a willingness to "get our hands dirty".

A777

2011/5/17 19:18

Re:

Sweet! I read this before, I 'think' you posted it. :)

Very dear relationship they had, from what I've read.

Good wife - good husband - Good Home.

Thanks Sis!

2011/5/17 19:18

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy