Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Baptism + Fire

[i]Suffering may build character, but ultimately it's not about us.[/i]
By Mark Galli

[i]God loves you and has a difficult plan for your life.[/i]

That message isn't mentioned in pass-along tracts or in bestselling books. It isn't proclaimed in praise choruses or PowerPoint sermons. We've heard plenty about the god-of-the-wonderful-plan and the god-of-possibility-thinking. Recently we've been told to follow Our Bliss, which is another god disguised as the True God. And in every age, lots of people follow the god-who-will-do-well-by-me-if-I-do-well-by-him.

But the God who plans to make our lives difficult? And if he really loves us, he makes our lives really difficult?
[url=http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/012/20.38.html]http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/012/20.38.html[/url]

2004/12/2 8:32Profile

Bless God!

and in light of whats going on, I can see how that word would minister to you Mike. Praise God for any cold drink of water in a desert.
Neil

2004/12/2 9:38
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Bless God!

Quote:
But the God who plans to make our lives difficult? And if he really loves us, he makes our lives really difficult?

Hi Brother Mike. I'm not sure if your comment was more rhetorical but knowing you pretty well I assume that's true.

I believe that God is concerned much more about the state of our hearts than our circumstances. That's no solace, however, when you're going through the fire.

I'm not sure about you but what my flesh wants is out of the difficult circumstance but what God wants is to change my heart and create a testimony that with God I can walk through the fire. That way I can help others.

There's a sermon on SI from Pastor Dave (Wilkerson) on the Baptism of Fire. I (perhaps foolishly, okay not perhaps) prayed for this baptism of fire and am currently in the midst of it on many fronts. It comes to all believers at some point but it is painful.

As one dear brother told me, God cleans up things with fire.

Jesus did say that "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." I believe that but to say that the Christian life doesn't have any tests is simply untrue. I used to think that I was supposed to have an "easy" life but have since reexamined my theology in light of scripture.

2004/12/2 11:26Profile
Spitfire

Re: Baptism + Fire

Fire?! Whatchu talkin 'bout, fire?! I don't know nuthin bout no fire! I must be God's pet. 8-) Love, Dian.

2004/12/2 16:24Profile
dohzman

Re: true vision

Acts7:55But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up(UP) stedfastly(STEDFASTLY) into heaven, and saw the glory of GOD and JESUS standing(STANDING) on the right hand of GOD> look up .

2004/12/2 19:33Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Baptism + Fire

If I wonder why something trying is allowed,
and press for prayer that it may be removed;
if I cannot be trusted with any disappointment,
and cannot go on in peace under any mystery,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

-from [i]If[/i] by Amy Charmichael

2004/12/2 19:44Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Thanks Neil...

Actually I get Christianity Today and had read this a few days ago. Thought it was a good article and when it came up online figured I would share...

Ed, yeah this original post is all verbatim from the article...none of my own words. Indeed we have gotten to know each other quite well over these many months, what a blessing this brother has been to me for everyone else following along.

Quote:
I'm not sure about you but what my flesh wants is out of the difficult circumstance but what God wants is to change my heart and create a testimony that with God I can walk through the fire. That way I can help others.

Without a doubt 'out' does seem to be what we crave and often what we pray for, not just for ourselves but for others. Guess it depends on any number of factors..."Out of debt"..."Out of bondage to..."

But you hit on it.."[i]what God wants is to change my heart"[/i]

Finding more and more that as the heart is changed so is the disposition toward whatever circumstances are present, good or 'bad'. How often they are actually opposite. Even knowing all that we do from scripture that tells us it is so, that can we can grasp with our minds and believe, when it happens in actual experience and find like Paul that "none of these things move me"...It's quite remarkable. Reminded of what Leonard Ravenhill said about that passage; "Paul didn't say none of these things [i]hurt[/i] me, of course they hurt him, but they didn't [i]move[/i] him"

2004/12/2 23:17Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy