Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Stop the music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
It seems as though silence is no longer golden but has become rather awkward. Might this in any way be an indicator or barometer as to the state of lethargy that has become the norm in the church?

It's not so much the lethargy of the church, I believe, as the human habit of men and women constantly needing something to occupy and stimulate their minds to escape the void. When the mind is not occupied with Christian meditation, it searches for something to fill it: Music, conversation, reading, visual stimulation, et cetera. The incessant need to "fill the void" by electrifying a human sense, and thus touch the soul.

When a person is in accord with the Holy Spirit, however, he may only sing a few verses of hymn and suddenly be transported into God's presence. We need to be careful in differentiating between that which vivifies spirit and that which touches the soul. The reason so many fellowships seem to go overboard with the music and dynamic choirs (I'm sure you've noticed, some sessions will go on for an hour or more) is because of this failure to differentiate. If your heart is right with God, you won't need an hour of singing. A few hymns or pious songs will normally suffice, and then you're ready for the preaching of the Word of God.

But we live in an entertainment-laden world, and many believers have yet to be weaned from the habit of "occupation", even after years and years of following Christ. We simply expect something to fill the void of corporate silence each time. There's got to be some person performing, a chorus, a stimulation of some sort, otherwise it can get uncomfortable pretty fast! The very fact that we grow uncomfortable in the face of silence, speaks of our lack of filling and abundance. A person in the presence of the Lord, on the other hand, is perfectly comfortable in silent introspection (yea, he even welcomes it), for his "occupation" is within, and not dependant upon any outer stimulai.

2011/5/15 21:37Profile

Re: Stop the music

I once walked into a church here that was so full of noise i never went back. They have a large tv (ON) hanging from the ceiling in the entryway and then in the sanctuary a huge movie screen like you see in theaters, with loud speakers and surround sound!! The place screamed WORLDLY. It was like a concert hall and so loud i could not hear myself THINK, let alone pray.

Then I encountered a teenager in the lobby who's appearance and behavior were dripping with carnality. One of the elders of the place had also been arrested for drunk driving after killing someone. Despite all this i gave the church a chance and sat through a sermon by the pastor. The sermon was on spiritual gifts and it was alright but i did not find the place to be Christ-focused much. Rather it seemed entertainment focused and i know from personal experience the pastor is desperate to get as many people in as possible and build up his congregation; he wants a LARGE church. I, however, never went back.

2011/5/15 22:56
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

I don't blame you CyAn. Church is to be a place to meet God, not a carnival.

2011/5/15 23:20Profile

Re:

Thankyou for that! What a breath of fresh air you are!

It seems when i mention this to other "Christians" they dont agree; they just want their rocknroll religion and entertainments. I just want to barf. On the other extreme is the church i grew up in which had only organ music and hymnals. You would be instructed to stand up, sing, sit down, stand up, sing, sit down, stand up, sit down. It felt so ritualistic and false. And the organ music was so awful and so loud I would always sit in the very back to protect my poor eardrums but it was never far enough. Organs are not the instruments God tells us in His Word to use to worship Him, maybe that is the problem. When will the churches begin obeying God? God lists the instruments HE wishes to be praised with. Drums and organs are not on there. Just my two cents.

2011/5/16 1:36
HeartSong

Re:

We are to be the instruments of His praise.

Quote:
It's not so much the lethargy of the church, I believe, as the human habit of men and women constantly needing something to occupy and stimulate their minds to escape the void. When the mind is not occupied with Christian meditation, it searches for something to fill it: Music, conversation, reading, visual stimulation, et cetera. The incessant need to "fill the void" by electrifying a human sense, and thus touch the soul.

When a person is in accord with the Holy Spirit, however, he may only sing a few verses of hymn and suddenly be transported into God's presence. We need to be careful in differentiating between that which vivifies spirit and that which touches the soul. The reason so many fellowships seem to go overboard with the music and dynamic choirs (I'm sure you've noticed, some sessions will go on for an hour or more) is because of this failure to differentiate. If your heart is right with God, you won't need an hour of singing. A few hymns or pious songs will normally suffice, and then you're ready for the preaching of the Word of God.

But we live in an entertainment-laden world, and many believers have yet to be weaned from the habit of "occupation", even after years and years of following Christ. We simply expect something to fill the void of corporate silence each time. There's got to be some person performing, a chorus, a stimulation of some sort, otherwise it can get uncomfortable pretty fast! The very fact that we grow uncomfortable in the face of silence, speaks of our lack of filling and abundance. A person in the presence of the Lord, on the other hand, is perfectly comfortable in silent introspection (yea, he even welcomes it), for his "occupation" is within, and not dependant upon any outer stimulai.

God bless you brother Paul. I pray that the LORD would send you around more often.

2011/5/16 1:54Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Re: Stop the music

Amen. Music has its place during worship service. Maybe even at an alter call. There are many times the preacher gives an alter call and starts praying out loud, then the music picks up a few octives then I can't hear and agree with the prayer. Such a waste of breath when it was intended for instruction and salvation.

Music has it's place. I would rather hear a good prayer than the choir and piano.

Was there good music in the background when our Christ gave us "the Lords Prayer?"

How about when John the Baptist strolled into town. Did he strut in with a boom box on his shoulder singing "Repent, ya, Repent, ya baby, repent for the kingdom of God is at hand. Oh ya, Repent"

Did the strings of a syphany play when the Apostles said to the cripple at the gate beautyful "silver and gold have I none, but what I have I give to you. Rise up and walk!"

No, a million times NO!

Music has it's place, but not during the preaching like I see televagelist do all the time. it is an annoince.

Not during the prayer service or alter call. For the Holy Spirit doesn't need an introduction or an accompaniment.

And not in ones prayer closet because how can you hear the still small voice during your prayer or a watch. You can not.

"Be still and know that I am God". I believe that is the message for many today.

Are you listening?

2011/5/16 11:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy