Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Stop the music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Stop the music

This is no plea on behalf of the CoC or any other denomination wishing to silence or ban instruments from a service. It is however a question as to the productivity and beneficiality of their use in stirring up that which would be better solicited in silence. One motivated by sound contrasting the other motivated by the still inward voice. Some will say it is but an accompaniment to the inward voice and therefore a compliment. If that be the case then the question should be can we really provide such a compliment?

My thoughts go to the small house church or the meeting of a few. Where there in no background music? What are they missing? While there may not be agreement on the alter call, or the tithe in the traditional sense, is it not a strange phenomena that the soundtrack played in many a church setting is common to the service. Do we really need the soundtrack that is played ever so lightly in the background as we pray and worship our Lord and Savior? It is so appropriate in a movie that one does not notice. Take the soundtrack out of the movie and you have a different movie altogether.

It seems as though silence is no longer golden but has become rather awkward. Might this in any way be an indicator or barometer as to the state of lethargy that has become the norm in the church? Since when has there ever been a greater crescendo than God Himself? By the noise of men do we drown out the very still voice that we purpose to hear? I know this might bother some but on many an occasion a corporate prayer has been crashed by an unnecessary score.

I do not run to put on my earphones and hit the background music when I glance at the sun set on my drive home. I don't ask my wife in the birthing room if she packed the ipod for when our child's head appears. When I look up in the sky and gaze up into the vastness of space and feel the awe I do not hit play on the mp3 player. Even when I go into my prayer closet I do not take such an accompaniment. If it is not necessary that we should carry a soundtrack with us for such an occasion(s) then why is it such a needed background to the service. Even if one does not agree with the prayer for the alter call and the prayer that precedes the tithe, does this accompaniment not seem a bit more fitting for a movie than a church service?

2011/5/15 11:25Profile

Re: Stop the music

Well, none of us wants to judge every service or sermon by this, but I agree in the many cases with your bottomline.

We don't need mood music to work up a move of GOD on our hearts. It's either there and genuine or it's not and no amount of background music could or should attempt to work it up.

Nevertheless, we'll have to just not let it interfere with the Voice of the Holy Spirit in our spirit if we do hear it in a audio message or in a live service. If we're really in the spirit - nothing but what HE's doing in us, at that moment, will matter in the least nor can anything take away from Him.

Interesting thing that you've brought this up. I noticed it last week in an audio - after not hearing that type 'working up' in many years.

As much as I love hearing our classic hymns of the Church - Silence is also a beautiful thing in His Presence. Gives Him opportunity to let us hear Heavenly songs as well.

Have a Blessed Sunday!

2011/5/15 11:42
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

All of the years previous to marrying my wife, I had slept in total silence. I am a light sleeper and silence was necessary for a good nights sleep. However, this was not true for my wife. She brought into the bedroom a fan and some white noise, creating a very different atmosphere for sleep. The result? I conformed and today I can no longer sleep in silence as the silence itself has become unbearable. Funny what we get use to.

2011/5/15 11:55Profile

Re:

:) Yes. - and all for the love of The Bride.

Bless you Brother!!

2011/5/15 12:00
HeartSong

Re:

When I lived in the city, I would occasionally go to the mountains for some peace and quiet. When I would first arrive at the cabin, my ears used to ring terribly in the silence - craving the noise of which they were so accustomed.

Now, since the LORD has gotten a hold of me, and I have moved to a quieter place, it is the reverse. Loud music and noise drives me away. My whole insides cringe and my head starts to throb in the driving chaos - and just now, as I write this, I have become aware of the problem and solution. It is the enemy trying to silence me and drive me away from certain situations.

"And [Jesus] arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm." - Mark 4:39

2011/5/15 14:46Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

From the title of this thread and the initial post it sounds to me like you want to make an iron-clad law that there shall be no music whatsoever in the church. I don't think that is reasonable. Everything being done decently and in order, there is a time for music and a time for quietness. Let us be led by the Spirit of God.

Ephesians 5:19 -addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,

2011/5/15 17:17Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

I have thought the same thing many, many times. Why is there the need for music in the church, especially at those moment when maybe there should be silence or low singing.

When I have pondered this, the catholic church doesn't have it. They have choirs but I don't think they bring actual music into the scene. Yet at altar calls in protestant churches it seems to be brought in as mood or emotional music.

I have wondered why it was used alot at Times Square church as well, especially at the end. It is my own thinking though.

2011/5/15 17:37Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

No Truewitness, that was not my intent. I may not have done a very good job at communicating my concern. I assure you there is enough law (I live in the bible belt) burdening people here that no additional need be added.

It is more an awareness of how much it resembles those things outside the church. My intention in attending the fellowship is to worship and draw closer to my Lord and Savior. I do not want what is artificial stirring me to that end if it is possible that what it has stirred in me was instilled artificially as well.

Might it be better served by example? Shall we take our ipod and play music in order to compliment our prayers when we are alone with God. Who does this? I often have trouble listening for Gods voice in prayer because my mind races and so many things compete for what is most important. Should I impede it more with music that may further drown Him out? I hope I have distinguished between the two for I'm not advocating eliminating song or instrument. Where in scripture would one find that or even want to? We should seek Him with all we have in us. There should be times that men fear to touch the key or string. There just doesn't seem to be enough of them.

2011/5/15 18:37Profile
rusaved1

Virginia

Re:

Excellent point, lylewise. You might be interested to know that the term "a Capella" actually means "of the church." Just something to consider...

DEADn, the catholic church actually does have music in their mass. Personally, I highly dislike their whole style of music, which is a blasting organ and some high soprano which virtually drown everyone else out. Not that what they do matters...but they are truly one of the "congregations of the dead" and have ruined a (great) hymn or two for me just because of how they go about it. Anyway, forgive my rambling.

rusaved1

2011/5/15 18:43Profile
Enochh

Indianapolis

I speak only from experience as a former pastor and american christian. We use music for a couple of reasons. 1). The peoples hearts are so filled with trash (love of the world) that we think the only way the Lord can get to their heart is if we soften it with our beautiful praise teams efforts. So proud of our selfs. What would He do without us. 2) we are so uncomfortable with silence. "Be still and know that I am God"
With our I Phones, Laptops, I Pods, cell phones, TV when can we be still. so at the end of the service please play a little something for us real softly .......I might hear my heart convict me of sin if you don't

2011/5/15 21:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy