SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Church Walking With The World

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mattandliz

The Church Walking With The World

I heard this poem and I thought it was a blessing.
Matthew

The Church and the World walked far apart

On the changing shores of time,

The World was singing a giddy song,

And the Church a hymn sublime.

“Come, give me your hand,” said the merry World,

“And walk with me this way!”

But the faithful Church hid her gentle hands

And solemnly answered “Nay!

I will not give you my hand at all,

And I will not walk with you;

Your way is the way that leads to death;

Your words are all untrue.”

“Nay, walk with me but a little space,”

Said the World with a kindly air;

“The road I walk is a pleasant road,

And the sun shines always there.

Your path is thorny and rough and rude,

But mine is broad and plain;

My way is paved with flowers and dews,

And yours with tears and pain.

The sky to me is always blue,

No want, no toil I know;

The sky above you is always dark,

Your lot is a lot of woe.

There’s room enough for you and me

To travel side by side.”

Half shyly the Church approached the World

And gave him her hand of snow;

And the old World grasped it and walked along,

Saying, in accents low:

“Your dress is too simple to please my taste;

I will give you pearls to wear,

Rich velvets and silks for your graceful form,

And diamonds to deck your hair.”

The Church looked down at her plain white robes,

And then at the dazzling World,

And blushed as she saw his handsome lip

With a smile contemptuous curled.

“I will change my dress for a costlier one,”

Said the Church, with a smile of grace;

Then her pure white garments drifted away,

And the World gave, in their place,

Beautiful satins and shining silks,

Roses and gems and costly pearls;

While over her forehead her bright hair fell

Crisped in a thousand curls.

“Your house is too plain,” said the proud old World,

“I’ll build you one like mine;

With walls of marble and towers of gold,

And furniture ever so fine.”

So he built her a costly and beautiful house;

Most splendid it was to behold;

Her sons and her beautiful daughters dwelt there

Gleaming in purple and gold.

Rich fairs and shows in the halls were held,

And the World and his children were there.

Laughter and music and feasts were heard

In the place that was meant for prayer.

There-were cushioned seats for the rich and the gay,

To sit in their pomp and pride;

But the poor who were clad in shabby array,

Sat meekly down outside.

“You give too much to the poor,” said the World.

“Far more than you ought to do;

If they are in need of shelter and food,

Why need it trouble you?

Go, take your money and buy rich robes,

Buy horses and carriages fine;

Buy pearls and jewels and dainty food,

Buy the rarest and costliest wine.

My children, they dote on all these things,

And if you their love would win

You must do as they do, and walk in the ways

That they are walking in.”

So the poor were turned from her door in scorn,

And she heard not the orphan’s cry;

But she drew her beautiful robes aside,

As the widows went weeping by.

Then the sons of the World and the Sons of the Church

Walked closely hand and heart,

And only the Master, who knoweth all,

Could tell the two apart.

Then the Church sat down at her ease, and said,

“I am rich and my goods increase;

I have need of nothing, or aught to do,

But to laugh, and dance, and feast.”

The sly World heard, and he laughed in his sleeve,

And mockingly said, aside:

“The Church is fallen, the beautiful Church;

And her shame is her boast and her pride.”

The angel drew near to the mercy seat,

And whispered in sighs her name;

Then the loud anthems of rapture were hushed,

And heads were covered with shame.

And a voice was heard at last by the Church

From Him who sat on the throne:

“I know thy works, and how thou hast said,

‘I am rich, and hast not known

That thou art naked, poor and blind,

And wretched before my face;’

Therefore from my presence cast I thee out,

And blot thy name from its place.”

2011/5/13 16:22Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: The Church Walking With The World

Oh that God would revive His Church and bride in North America.

26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

2011/5/13 16:54Profile

Re:

"Oh that GOD would _____________" ?

Oh that men would!

I'm sorry, but I hear this from so many and it actually feels as though someone is hitting me in the heart with a sledge-hammer. Regardless of with what, that one fills in that blank.

WHO is at fault for the condition of "The Church" or each individual here and through-out this and other free nations?

Is it really GOD's fault for NOT doing 'something'?

Is it really HIS fault if men are worldly?

If they won't stand against the nonsense and lies in The Church?

If they won't stay on their faces until they see His Glory and are broken deep within by His Love and awesome Holiness?

If they don't see that it 'was' GOD Who was on that cross, paying the price for His Creation's salvation and filling them with the Very Spirit that indwelled Christ Himself?

He DID do something - 2000 Years Ago. He died and sent His Spirit at Pentecost and that Church turned the world upside down. So who moved away from His Word from that first Church?

Who's fault is it that The Church is not seeing this - except for those in the minority that are literally pouring their lives out for others on Mission fields, or on their faces until they develop a workable, living, two-way, give-and-take relationship with Him.?

The ball is in your court. And each and everyone of us shares that same Personal responsibility to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling until we become part of The Church that hears, "Well Done, thou good and Faithful servant".

2011/5/13 17:51
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

So true!

"The fragrance of God would spill
if men would just kneel.

A revival God would pour
if men's hearts before Him were tore."

God would pour out of Himself and pour out true Christ-centered revival if men would simply cry out to Him is anguished desperation!

There is nothing in this world more pleasing, more fulfilling and more meaningful than to spend time in the presence of the King of all creation. When we are willing to forsake all else that this world (and even the traditions of men) has to offer...and trade it ALL in favor of who He is, then our time with Him will be mutually intimate and soul-changing.

2011/5/13 19:40Profile

Re: What in the world are we doing?

Act 6:1 And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied,

there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews,
because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.

Act 6:2 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables. Act 6:3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.
Act 6:4 But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.
Act 6:5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and ..........

So in other words, these men were chosen to wait on the tables of widows and then we read of this waiter on tables ...

Act 6:8 And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.
Act 6:9 Then there arose certain of the synagogue, which is called the synagogue of the Libertines, and Cyrenians, and Alexandrians, and of them of Cilicia and of Asia, disputing with Stephen.
Act 6:10 And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake.

We all know what happened to Stephen at the end of the next chapter. And of Philip in Chpt 8.

What makes a man a Stephen? Or a Ravenhill, or Wilkerson, or Moody or a Jim Elliot and so forth down the list?

Every man has a calling - but he's doing something other than what GOD has called him to, if he's not living presently in a revived, sanctified and productive state and that's Biblical. No excuses.

We make the mistake to think this work of GOD in and through these men is only for those with certain names. That's where we've neglected His Word.

The LORD has already provided All that any of us need, to live a life that is pleasing in His Sight and fruitful in some sort of ministering to others.
If even just to reach out in waiting on tables in our own Towns or Cities. That's documentable.

We're all called to be holy & all called to serve. It's up to us. He's already made all of the provision that we need.

The only thing that holds us back is the teaching or belief that we have to still wait for GOD to do something more than what He did for Stephen, Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, or Nicolas, etc..

2011/5/13 20:47
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
"The fragrance of God would spill
if men would just kneel.

A revival God would pour
if men's hearts before Him were tore."

God would pour out of Himself and pour out true Christ-centered revival if men would simply cry out to Him is anguished desperation!

What other hope is there. Things are getting worse and worse in the church. The time is come for us to seek the Lord in this way till He is found. What else really matters, is the bride of Christ more precious to you then your job, home, life?

2011/5/13 21:44Profile

Re:

Just finished listening to the Featured sermon about an hour ago.
So refreshing to hear Brother Ravenhill preach what he did.

Thanks!

2011/5/14 1:48
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Amen! Powerful Word. Glory to God for him. It is awesome when one preaches and it bears witness in your spirit what he is saying. So thankful for all the sermons of his that are now available, thanks so much Brother Greg, your awesome in all you do! Giving God all the glory.

2011/5/14 12:45Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

Long sermon. I can't imagine anyone leaving a meeting like that on their feet. Eventually he gets around to everyone who has ears to hear (even the loudest ameners are eventually silenced). One of the subjects he broaches, and by no minced words, is by mention of Redpath, and Tozer both in agreement as to the 1 in 10 ratio of truly born again believers in both their perspective churches. I hear this same thing from Havner and others yet it does seem to fall on deaf ears. This is not just a mere observation worthy of brief mention. This is horrific!!!!!!!!!! Ravenhill does this purposely to show the common ground between two men representing two different denominations holding to the same discernment regarding the make up of the bride within the church. One in ten in the church is the crisis of crisis. It amazes me time and time again the comfort men can take in 10%. Thanks JiG for mentioning this sermon.

2011/5/15 0:07Profile

Re:

Thank you to MattandLiz for this poem. It was powerful enough to get a Good thread going. So much truth in that poem and how it goes along with much that is on our minds and includes our burdens.
Thank you MattandLiz!

Amen Lylewise - that message was priceless. You brought out aspects that I hadn't grasped and facts regarding it that I didn't know - Thank you!
I thought also that it could have gone longer. I enjoyed it so much. Brother Ravenhill just flowed and truths came spontaneously out of that man. And you noticed about the feedback as well. Praise GOD!
"I can't imagine anyone leaving a meeting like that on their feet." Bless GOD, Amen!

I wanted to post the link here - in case the Featured changes before the threads gone.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=17134&commentView=itemComments

Thank you again M&L for this poem. Blessing!

2011/5/15 0:25

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy