Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Todays Church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Ovadia

Todays Church

The problem first and foremost with the church today is "me". Besides "me" we have become too comfortable in the boat. "We" need to get out of the boat and out on the water with Jesus. It is by far safer on the water with Jesus than it is in the boat without him. I am not saying leave the church, but to be the church.

2011/5/13 12:24Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: Todays Church

Very good words, Ovadia.

2011/5/13 12:29Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re: Todays Church

From my own limited experience, I have seen that "getting out of the boat" means being with "the people" - that's where the waves really get big :-). People can really make some BIG waves. That's when our eyes usually get drawn off of Jesus and on to what others are doing around us. We sink everytime this happens.

A lot of people want to get out of the church to get away from "the people." The hardest part of "being the church" is the longsuffering with one another as Jesus has suffered long with us. Either way, we will never get away from the waves, many are the afflictions of the righteous. In or out of the boat, there will be storms with big waves.

So, I say, amen - step out of the desire for personal comfort and space and get in the midst of people - that's where Jesus will be and where He will call us to walk with Him.

Most people leave the church to get away from the difficulties, not to step out into them.

makrothumia

2011/5/13 13:20Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Christians overthink themselves and their church. Too many times people talk about getting out of the 4 walls and do something. What is doing something? Missionary work? Isn't living your life, using your sphere of daily living to inject the gospel of Jesus part of getting out of the church thing and doing something?

Many times these phrases obscure out thinking and I think we overthink all of this stuff too much. Like not seeing the forest from the trees.
All it takes is a helping hand to people. Doing that which isn't expected to the people around us and eventually it opens doors to talk about Jesus.

If Jesus is reflective in your life He will be seen of others in your life. It is up to you to go out of your way sometimes to help another person or give a good word to someone. So easy but we overthink it.

2011/5/13 13:48Profile
Ovadia

Re:

But why do we over think it? Could it be that we have been taught to? What is absolutly so amazing is that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is so simple that even a fool can understand it, His commands are simple. Mt. 28:19-20 He is not saying pack your bags and go somewhere to do the work, but as you go through life do these things which He has commanded.

I heard it said this way..."Churches are willing to sing about it, talk about it, preach about it but nobody wants to go about it". (T. Vester)

2011/5/13 13:56Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
Christians overthink themselves and their church. Too many times people talk about getting out of the 4 walls and do something. What is doing something? Missionary work? Isn't living your life, using your sphere of daily living to inject the gospel of Jesus part of getting out of the church thing and doing something?

I do agree with you. However why say missionary work is wrong? or anything else is wrong? is it the thing that is wrong? or that Christ is not being glorified in it? If you tell a young person you can't be a missionary, and that is the exact thing God called them to be? Who are you sinning against? How many told Amy Carmichael not to go to Japan or India, because she was too frail or too weak, in her current state to do so?

If she would have turned back, oh my!

Should everyone be a missionary, absolutely not!

1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

2011/5/13 14:05Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

We overthink it because the church has conditioned its people that unless you are out on the streets witnessing for Jesus or something that drastic then you are not living for Him. This message comes in all kinds of forms.

The problem with people in the church is not many people really listen. Not many people care. Not many people are really committed. Pastors can thunder from the pulpit but unless the Spirit of God changes someone's life then all of the above happens with empty results. That change isn't necessarily from a 'Sinners Prayer' either. It comes from a genuine belief and a genuine change and people know when that happens. Sometimes the church can get too pushy with it.

Society wants to see christians be christians.

2011/5/13 14:14Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

StarofGod

My point of reference is that within the church the mindset of getting out of the 4 walls is usually some type of missionary work. Forgetting that a persons sphere of influence in his daily life is also the mission field. It doesn't necessarily taking going overseas or to another town to get out of the 4 walls. It is touching your sphere of influence with Jesus or even simply doing something helpful and out of the ordinary for someone to open that door. Too many people have too little patience with others to accept such things.

How often have you stood in line to pay a simple bill or buy a simple something or wait to get on a ride and the line is held up by someone or mechanical problems. Next people start grumbling over it. Patience wanes. What do you do as a christian? grumble and complain as well? What would you do to lighten the situation? This is part of your circle of influence, out of the 4 walls.

The missions field, as we traditionally think of it, is an extension of all of this but we never think of our personal growth having an affect on those around. It really all starts without going outside of ourself to do something for someone and in time that something becomes Jesus doing something for them.

Make sense?

2011/5/13 14:24Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

I totally get and understand your point.

2011/5/13 14:31Profile
Ovadia

Re:

our individual ministries are in whatever we are called to do, however witnessing is not a calling accept in that God called you to Him.

A preacher, pastor, evangelist or any one else for that matter should not thunder anything from anywhere if they themselves are not living it.

You want to know what the church has done? It has watered down the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the point it is all sweet and nothing bitter. Christianity per todays standards cost you nothing...When in fact it costs you everything.

Society wants to see Christians mess up. Gandi said "I would become a Christian if it were not for Christians".

2011/5/13 14:32Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy