1. Be honest about your condition (1:2). The earth was dark, empty and shapeless. Sin had affected the earth. If you want God to work in you and remake you, be honest about your condition. Admit that you are dark, empty and without the image of Christ. The thief on the cross said: I deserve to be crucified. I deserve punishment. Therefore the Lord said to him: You will be with me in paradise.
2. Submit to the Holy Spirit's workings (1:2). You cannot fulfil your function in the Body of Christ unless you are baptized in the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit moves in us to make us like Jesus. Any area of your life that is not open to the Holy Spirit will remain dark, empty and under the control of the devil. Let the Holy Spirit control every area of your life.
3. Listen to God's Word daily (1:3 ff). The words, Then God said occurs 7 times in this chapter indicating that God speaks every day. If you want transformation, you should listen to God daily. Otherwise you will remain empty, dark and shapeless. It is written about Jesus in Isaiah 50:4 He awakens me morning by morning. He awakens my ear to listen as a disciple. Develop the habit of listening. The first words of Jesus after His baptism were, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
4. Allow God to separate you from all darkness (1:4). God separated the light from darkness. In Luke 11:35, Jesus said, Take heed that the light in you be not darkness. In 2 Cor 4:6, it is written, God who said, Light shall shine out of darkness is the One who has shown in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
5. Sanctification is a daily process (1:5ff). God wants to bring a renewal in our lives every day. 2 Cor 4:16 says, Our outer man decays, but the inner man is renewed daily.
6. God wants to reproduce His image in you (1:26). God said, Let Us make man in Our image. Us refers to the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit all working together to make us like Jesus. (Rom 8:28-29).
7. God wants you to be a ruler (1:26). God said
Let them rule
.. We are to rule over sin (Rom.6:14). It is not Gods will that we should be slaves of sin. Thanks be to God who always (24X7) leads us in His triumph (2 Cor 2:14).
8. God wants to provide your every need (1:29). God provided Adam a wife, a home (a garden) and a job (as gardener). God will do the same for you as well, if you seek His kingdom and His righteousness first.
9. Only God's blessing can make you fruitful (1:28). God wants you to be fruitful in your character and in your ministry. You cant build the Body of Christ or do anything useful for God without His blessing. Jesus said in John 15:5, Apart from me you can do nothing. So wait on God saying, Lord, what will you have me to do? And when God blesses you, you WILL be fruitful.
10. God can make something beautiful out of your life (1:31). God wants to make something out of your life that He Himself can certify as Very good. Believe that He wants to do it, no matter how much of a mess you have made of your life.
SI Moderator - Greg Gordon