Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : World net daily

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

World net daily

I really have to ask this. How many people on this board consider this news site worthy of attention?

There was a time when I would read it for a while but I soon recognized that the stories they brought forward seemed to be full of sensationalism and ideas that were so far to the edge that I am surprised these people didn't fall off the edge. Then I was shocked to hear an 'independent' radio host use stories from this site.

What are your thoughts about this site as far as being newsworthy? It is my opinion that I am embarrassed whenever I hear it used as a source and I usually find it used in christian circles.

2011/5/13 9:20Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re: World net daily

I'm in the exact same boat. I still have it as a bookmark, but never view it anymore. I had the same feelings of sensationalism myself, which is why I avoid it. As far as citing them as a source, it used to be that many of their articles were linked to more mainstream media outlets.

I put it in the same category as those chain emails. If it has more than 2 font sizes and 2 font colors, it gets deleted. "If you pass this to 4 million people you will receive a blessing today!" I don't think so.

I'd be interested to know of some good general news sites that are Christian based in their worldview.

2011/5/13 9:29Profile

Hi Deadn,

I don't read it, but I was reading your question and wondering if anyone would answer your query since you framed it the way you did?

I don't think you will get many answers because you have already implied that anyone who reads this site that is not (worthy of attention), are "sensational" people, wasting their time.

So, would you mind giving some examples to us WND-ignorant folks as to what you are talking about?

Thanks,
A777

2011/5/13 9:32
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

A777

WND will take supposed hot topic issues and push alot of stories at different angles to pose questions regarding it. I just went there to see what they have today. THere are some stories that are clinging to Obama and his birth certificate. Really? What is the agenda behind this?

I also noticed some survivalist stuff being promoted. This kind of stuff comes from the fringe right. Does it really have any value? Maybe it should be repackaded or reworded. 'Survivalist' is an alarm word.

In the past I noticed that they like to publish stories on 'christian' persecution in America which really is not persecution. I call it the persecution complex. Showing circumstances in American where apparent persecution is happening when it really isn't persecution at all. I cannot provide any stories at this time to show my point on that.

It is my opinion that WND carries unbalanced stories that give its readers and unbalanced view of America in the news as well as christian articles. They play or prey on the emotions of those who love America and feed its readers on a diet of scare tactics- almost 'the world is coming to an end because we are in the tribulation' mentality and I find it dangerous to christians who are growing and learning about how they should be seeing America and the world.

I hope this make sense?

2011/5/13 10:00Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

DEADn,

If what you mean by 'sensational' you mean they post what they think we would like to hear - I believe that is their style.

At first I was all happy to read anything and everything they posted, now when I see an article linked to them, I pass by it. In my heart I know all news is actually lies and propaganda and it galls me to see them manufacture news targeted for Christian's.

This does not mean I do not read news but I read from a wide variety of sources and filter it through the readers comments. I use a site called FreeRepublic to do this and another 'Doom' site that I will leave unnamed.

A777, try a week steady diet of WND yourself and you will either see what DEADn and I are saying, or not. If you do not feel leery of them I am not passing judgment, perhaps you have an ability to filter their style from the content BUT, in my opinion, their style slants their content.

A sister on this site posted a link to a news site and I have found the material they post to be well written and, as far as I can tell, not biased. As far as I see it, they tell the truth. http://www.crossroad.to/News/1-today.htm They do not, however cover all the daily tidbits.

Honestly, my 'taste' for news is dropping off quickly as I can no longer stomach the lies. God's word is truth and reading the prophets and the Revelations of Jesus Christ read like today's headlines, so why not get the news from the Source?

Kind regards,
white stone

2011/5/13 10:12Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

I agree with much of the advertising and some of the very sensational titles and new views I do agree its not the best news source at all. I rarely post from it.

2011/5/13 10:31Profile

Re:

Hi Whitestone and Deadn,

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I'm not defending at all, just was curious and maybe it's not a good thing to be too curious. :-^

I stopped listening to radio talk shows a long time ago and throw political email away.

Thanks again,
A777

2011/5/13 10:46
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I used to read everything I could about current events. Now, I try to steer clear but living in a world with news reports everywhere it is hard to ignore.

Just yesterday someone sent me a link challenging the validity of the declaration that bin Laden was killed. And they do make good points, some I even noticed in the reports as they are given - they change. Even so, someone is lying and I do not know who it is and to work to discover the facts will not change truth and .... All is in God's hands and I am still learning to leave it with God. He uses political figures, their sins to make people aware they can not be trusted, that only our security is in the LORD Jesus.

In my opinion WND is quite moderate compared to some other sites. Even if what they say would be truth, what does it do to my emotional well-being? Does it encourage trust in the LORD? Do these articles not work to incite you to action to fix whatever is wrong in the world via politics? A body can get so entangled in political issues that one soon loses his delight in the LORD. The effort it takes to fix things politically does not work other then keep you busy which is not all that productive.

I used to get calls and emails asking for funds to help this group fight legal abortions, implying that by sending them money it will soon become illegal. AB is still legal. The little I could have sent them would not have made any difference - might have purchased a fancy supper for them...

Maybe these sites are the secular counterpart to 'Christian ministries' that work to part you from your money with the promise that God will bless you with more of it!

Just thinking and my opinion for whatever it is worth...

2011/5/13 10:51Profile

Re: World net daily...filbert is a nut.

Generally their "news" seems conspiratorial...and is always tainted with subtle calls to join the revolution; IE: different militias; Survival militias, Birther militias..[ that's big..]...global collapse militias...;
Food supply, States rights,and the devil dances with the Left ideas.

These obsessions overshadow the News...What news? WND is an Opinion Editorial page..[ OP-ED ] that seems fueled by severe right-wing fear-mongering. There's a secret plot under every-rock...which in turn spurs their advertisers to capitalize selling solutions;

Gold and silver..Survivalist products.and lots of hyper-conservative reading material...Fighting the IRS, etc. It's entertaining to a degree, but it gets old fast.

You must look at WND for what it is, and it is not an unbiased News organization. It's an OP-ED site selling sensationalism along the line of Chicken Little..."Da sky iz fallin'!!!"...and the solutions are all right there.....and your dollar will spend to bring you Peace.

If you pick enough, there are some things that are interesting, and possibly exclusive...but is it worth the headache of the shock of seeing ads for a Sarah Palin bobble-head? That's debatable.

PS: It is not a Bible site.

2011/5/13 11:26
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

One more thought...

A few years ago a major contributor to WND, Ann Colture (sp?) wrote a book that was widely promoted by conservatives. I do not recall the topic but that is irrelevant. In my spirit I was grieved by her [un]dress, the pic that appears on the cover of her book. Does conservatism not impact all of life, how I live and dress or not dress? Is conservatism merely a philosophy or a lifestyle? Or, has conservatism become a victim of some savvy entrepreneur?

Years ago another conservative news commentator, Rush Limbaugh was stopped by police and they found condoms on his body. At the time he was single. What need did a traveling single male have for condoms? Rush's rant against anything liberal is well known. Does conservatism not impact ones lifestyle? All areas of it?

My conclusion is that these people are in it for money. Period. And if they can succeed in getting yours they have it made. As I understand Scripture, holiness will impact all of life, everything you say or do which includes how I dress and the places I go to, etc.

I do not think a Christian needs to be influenced by these who do not live consistent lives. As trusting people we can be easily snookered into their whorl of deception if we are not careful.

EDIT: In other words they preach morality but do not practice it nor assist others to be moral in mind or body.

This is my conviction...

ginnyrose

2011/5/13 11:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy