SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : an uncommon beauty

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
swsojourner

an uncommon beauty

The shadows cast by the city gate indicated the day was nearing its end. Rebekah made her second and final trip to the spring to draw water for her family. It had been an arduous day, and she was tired. She gave thanks that the waning sun heralded her reprieve. As the water flowed into her jar, she thought of the common stream of events that filled each of her days. Even if it was difficult, life as she knew it was familiar and reassuring. However, that was about to change.

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed an unfamiliar, travel-worn servant. He was praying among the shepherds and she immediately felt compassion for his lonely state. From his foreign clothes and weary appearance, it was evident to Rebekah that this man had come a long way.

She wondered what it would be like to be so far from home and love of family. When the weary man approached her for a drink of water, she gladly complied. His camels stirred a sandy cloud as Rebekah poured the cool, splashing liquid into the trough. The dust settled on Rebekah’s tired arms, mixing with droplets of water to form patterns like rough marble.

Though unkempt, Rebekah had an uncommon beauty. Not just outwardly attractive, she exuded a loveliness characteristic of an innocent, humble spirit. In gratefulness, Eliezer, the travel-worn servant of Abraham, gave Rebekah several gifts. The lavish bracelets and nose ring he presented to her appeared peculiarly luminous against Rebekah’s skin.

When Rebekah explained that she was Bethuel’s daughter, Eliezer bowed in worship and gratefulness to God. His actions would have normally alarmed her, but she heard his prayer: "Blessed be the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken His lovingkindness and His truth toward my master; as for me, the Lord has guided me in the way to the house of my master’s brothers" (Genesis 24:27).

Abraham! A beloved name, indeed! The Lord had guided this servant to his master’s brother’s household. Overwhelmed with the Lord’s goodness, Rebekah ran home to tell her family whom she had met.

Eliezer had come to Haran to find a wife for Abraham’s son, Isaac. As he watched Rebekah’s retreating figure, he realized that the Lord had answered his prayers. Eliezer had beseeched God to lead him to a suitable spouse for his master’s heir, and he was certain that Rebekah was God’s answer.

Later, Eliezer explained his quest to Rebekah’s family. Rebekah knew this was the Lord’s plan, so she submitted her will to His, despite the sorrow of leaving her family. Within 24 hours of watering Eliezer’s camels, Rebekah followed Abraham’s servant to a place of new life. She left family and all she knew to obey God and marry a man she had never met.

Had Rebekah exhibited any pride that day, she would have missed being part of one of the most beautiful love stories in the Bible. Had she considered her own fatigue more important than compassion for another, or had she been reticent to follow God’s call, Rebekah would not have been Jacob’s mother and would have been excluded from the direct lineage of the Messiah. Yet Rebekah’s humility poured forth as refreshment to the soul. Thinking Eliezer above herself, she became the answer to his prayers. Being humbled, God lifted her up, and her trust in Him resulted in her celebrated marriage to Isaac.

You may not realize it, but when you are humble, you are an answer to prayer as well. When you submit to God, He is able to use you in a unique way to bless others. However, when you are headstrong and believe you know what is best, regardless of God’s will, you make it difficult for God to position you strategically.

François Fenelon wrote, "Humility is good in every situation, because it produces that teachable spirit which makes everything easy." Rebekah was mighty in spirit because she humbly accepted the fact that God knew better than she. It was easy for the Lord to bless her, because she exhibited the attitudes of love, service, and compassion that are perfect for Him to work through. She was a humble servant that God used to answer Eliezer’s sincere prayers. You can be too. As James 4:6 teaches, "God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Will you be a servant who has compassion upon others? Will you consider God’s will above your own? Will you be God’s humble answer?

by Deb Malone

2004/12/1 20:26Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: an uncommon beauty

Your new avatar threw me...
Good to hear from you again brother, this is great.

Quote:
"Humility is good in every situation, because it produces that teachable spirit which makes everything easy." Rebekah was mighty in spirit because she humbly accepted the fact that God knew better than she.

2004/12/2 8:15Profile
swsojourner

Re:

It's good to be back :-D

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
Your new avatar threw me...
Good to hear from you again brother, this

2004/12/2 22:52Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy