SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : My two cents

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hoohoou

Texas

My two cents

I've thought a lot about this lately. The conclusion I came to is that it depends on from where the inspiration comes. One can sing about all things holy and yet live a life apposed to holiness. Another can sing about about everyday life, never mentioning the things of God pointedly, and yet live a life that is set apart to God.

The conclusion I've come to is that to say whether music is evil or Christian requires us to judge an individuals heart. There is fruit that is viewable in some of the more public musicians and this gives us a good indication.

The whole earth is full of the glory of God and yet the earth is not holy. The earth is a creation of our God and yet people will worship that creation. I guess my point is that music is neither evil nor holy. It is a byproduct of someones emotions and thoughts. What we do with this is often up to us. I can listen to "non-Christian" music and think on the beauty of my God. Admittedly, there is some music out there which is of no use for me. Even though it has no words I cannot listen to dance/techno. It leads my mind to places I don't wish it to go.

Someone quoted the "whatsoever things are pure..." verse. I think that's a good verse to use in determining what we listen to. The beauty of classical, while not always expressly "Christian" will lead many to dwell on the beauty of our salvation. For me, listening to deeply emotional music about real life, leads me to dwell on a caring and fiercely devoted Lord.

I think much of the issue is where OUR heart is at. Still, we must be cautious in feeding our minds words and thoughts that are distinctly opposed to our faith. Just as much, we must be cautious in burdening ourselves with a bunch of self-imposed rules that can just as easily take our minds off of our Savior. We can just as easily forsake God in the pursuit of perfection as we can in indulging fleshly appetites. It's all in our motives and focus.

2011/5/10 7:55Profile
EverestoSama

Re: My two cents

I assume this was a misposted response to the music thread, but I will say that it was a very good post Hoohoou.

2011/5/10 8:13Profile

Re: My two cents

Quote:
I think much of the issue is where OUR heart is at. Still, we must be cautious in feeding our minds words and thoughts that are distinctly opposed to our faith. Just as much, we must be cautious in burdening ourselves with a bunch of self-imposed rules that can just as easily take our minds off of our Savior. We can just as easily forsake God in the pursuit of perfection as we can in indulging fleshly appetites. It's all in our motives and focus.

We don't walk by the letter, do we?

Taste not, touch not, (listen to this or that)?

The Holy Spirit within us will either be grieved by what we listen to or not grieved. Either we are led by the Spirit or we are led by rules (which is a religious form of flesh).

One of Satan's strategies is to get us to codify (make up rules using the Bible) the Christian walk. And as long as we don't break our own rules that we gleaned from the Bible, then we rationalize that we are ok. Which is complete deception. That is what the Pharisees did. It is a false security.

Col 2:19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

And you are no longer "holding the Head", looking to Jesus, walking in the Spirit.

You are not subject to the leading of the Holy Spirit but rather subject to your own ordinances that you have created.

Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

Our hearts are deceitfully wicked and can justify and rationalize anything. So, it is more than just our motives because we can rationlize our motives as good, too. We can even justify "what is pure and what is lovely".

The Holy Spirit will tell you exactly what is pure and what is lovely.

It's our relationship with the Lord.

A777

2011/5/10 8:25
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

Yeah, sorry. Not sure how this happened. Even though I see that I posted it in the wrong place, I refuse to believe I actually did it:) Glad I didn't post something mean to really feel silly about.

2011/5/10 8:49Profile

Re:

No worries, it stands on it's own just fine.

:-)

2011/5/10 8:54
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

Great post A777. One of my favorite passages is Galatians 3:1-4. Paul is very clear on walking according to the Spirit and not the flesh (Romans 8). Though he is also very quick to caution us not to abuse this and delude ourselves.

2011/5/10 8:55Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

Technically not having a good day.

2011/5/10 8:56Profile

Re:

Just a momentary setback, it'll get better.

2011/5/10 9:19
DesertRose

Boston.MA

Re:

There is always something that will arouse our flesh.The heart is deceitful and wicked... Thank God he has given us a new one:
I will put my laws on their hearts,
and write them on their minds,"

I thought of the following story as I read your post:

On one occasion Dr, Christian Barnard, the 1st surgeon ever to do a heart transplant, impulsively asked one of his patients, Dr. Philip Blaiberg, “Would you like to see your old heart?” -
At 8PM on a subsequent evening, the men stood in a room of the Groote Schuur Hospital, in Johannesburg, South Africa. – Dr. Barnard went up to a cupboard, took down a glass container and handed it to Dr. Blaiberg. Inside that container was Blaiberg’s old heart.
For a moment he stood their in stunned silence – The first man in history ever to hold his own heart in his hands. Finally he spoke & for 10 minutes plied Dr. Barnard w/technical questions. Then he turned to take a final look at the contents of the glass container, and said, “So this is my old heart that caused me so much trouble.” He handed it back, turned away & left it forever!

2011/5/10 9:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy