SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "What is hellfire preaching? Is hellfire preaching biblical?"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

You've been busy Brother Oracio. :) Good and Thank you!
I'll copy and paste your work and work on looking all of these up in their context. Appreciated Brother!

My only concern is that we've lost the gift of being led by His Spirit and have made methods or one-size-fits all types of evangelism and ministering.

Jesus always spoke with wisdom from Above of 'who' He was speaking to. As did the Apostles. They walked in the Spirit and I just don't see much of that anymore. And that's my concern. The spontaneous word given by the Holy Spirit as to what to say, moment by moment - person by person and so forth. Waiting on the LORD to speak through us.
Getting that wisdom that Jesus had with the woman at the well, and that sort of witnessing.

That's been a burden I've had for His Church. To see that walk in Him on a larger scale.

Thank you for understanding and for all of your diligent study to break these down for us.

The LORD Bless you & keep you in His Peace.

2011/5/8 3:11
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Thanks for the comments Jesus-is-GOD. Just to let you know, the first break down is focused on all the warnings on hell. The second break down is focused on all the warnings on Judgment Day, hell, or both. So the second break down includes passages from the first break down.

I totally understand what you mean regarding being led by the Spirit and agree with you. I believe that it is crucial to be sensitive or in tune with the Spirit, and that is through prayer and the Word. That said, sometimes we cannot discern exactly what part of the gospel a stranger may need to hear. In those cases I believe it is wise to try to share the whole counsel of God with them, both the good and bad news. This would apply especially in many open air preaching scenarious, because in a big crowd there are different types of people.

2011/5/8 3:25Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

BTW Jesus-is-GOD, or anyone else, please let me know if you find any mistakes or ommisions in the break-downs. TIA.

2011/5/8 14:28Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

here is what i would label "hell fire preaching" the biblical way as i understand it, this is not something we can "do" as a thing, we need the anointing and burden of God....

Tim Conway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFZli5JMI58

Hell, whats it like? David Wilkerson
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=8084

Hell, Leonard Ravenhill
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=20404

Also you can read many old sermons, often they speak up more on this subject then our contemporary Christendom.

2011/5/8 15:02Profile
dspks

Dakotas

Re: A Method

"Hell fire preaching" (someone described it as "clearing a spot and throwing a fit")... IS a method... is it "BIBLICAL"?? ... well... "look to Jesus... the author and finisher of our faith..." follow Paul's example, Peter's example, John's example... Do you see them "clearing a spot and throwing a fit??"

2011/5/8 15:02Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

I believe this is the scripture for the topic of "hell fire preaching":
Jude 1:22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
Jude 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

2011/5/8 15:14Profile

Re:

by fromtheold:

"I believe this is the scripture for the topic of "hell fire preaching":"

Jude 1:22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
Jude 1:23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Amen! - and with prayer, to know by His Spirit in each and every case, which of these two verses to apply - as we are looking up to Him to give wisdom, and the words to use as well.
GOD help us not to injure His Cause or misrepresent His Heart to the lost, in Jesus' Name.

2011/5/8 16:31
savedtoserve

Re: Preaching on Hell

I realize this thread is a bit old, however, I wanted to link ya'll to one of Sammy Allen's messages on hell. It's one of those must-listen-to messages. Very powerful and pointed; he doesn't let anyone get off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYWPjxMzjm4

I've known him since I was three years old and will vouch for what the commenter below says.

Look at one of the comments,

"Dr. Allen is absolutely one of the greatest men i have ever had the privilege of knowing. I have known him since I was 14 years old. I have traveled with him, preached with him, slept in the same motel rooms with him, fellowshipped with him, ate with him, stayed in his home, and about anything else you could list. Therefore I am qualified to say that he is more real than any preacher I have ever met. Or any Man that I have ever met. He doesn't gossip, he doesn't run down other preachers, he doesn't talk bad about other people, he prays 3-5 hours every morning and he is a MAN after Gods own heart. If there is any precher in the world who is real then Sammy Allen is that man."

2011/5/24 16:17Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: "What is hellfire preaching? Is hellfire preaching biblical?"

""Is there a place for hellfire preaching today?""

I don't think so. I believe a preacher can teach and preach the word of God AND talk about hell without being "hellfire and brimstone."

I was raised under ‘hellfire and brimstone’ preaching in South Dayton, Ohio (tons of southerner’s there!), my papaw was a preacher, I was taken to all kinds of southern Baptist churches and church camps growing up.... and if I got saved once, I got saved hundreds of times.

But most importantly, I would like to submit that there was absolutely NOTHING new in the sermons they preached; no, they scared you to death with all their yelling and hacking, “If you committed a sin today, (ha) and die tonight (ha), you are going to hell (ha), no doubt about (ha), you’re going to burn in hellfire (ha),” over and over, all night long. ***I’m NOT making fun of this type of preaching, I’m just remembering.

The point I want to make is that never do I remember one of these hellfire preachers explaining to me (or any other person for that matter) how to overcome lust, how to overcome shame, how to overcome ANY sin in my life... (Let’s pick an easy one... nope, still nothing), nothing in order to live a victorious life in Jesus Christ. A good friend invited me a church last summer that was having revival; Pentecostal mind you and the evangelist preached the same message with the same emotionalism and the same scary stories, etc., it’s a crying shame in my book; but remember.... that’s just me. The only reason I didn't get up and leave was out of respect for my friend.

I would like to close with ... maybe the type of hellfire brimstone preaching in South Dayton, Ohio was unique and no one here knows what I’m talking about!! Maybe it worked for some people but I know that type of preaching didn’t work for me nor did it keep me in love of God.

That’s my horror story for the year!!! LOL

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/5/24 17:36Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

Grant it, Lysa, there will always be extremes; therefore there are extreme hell-fire, brimstone preachers, whose methods may be wrong. There is a measure of the fear of the Lord and of his judgment that is very healthy; you would probably agree with this. But yes, if that is exchanged for emotionalism, then that is not right.

I know Bro. Sammy Allen was considered one, but he wasn't extreme, although very southern. I just love the heartiness of "them southerners" (nothing against any northerner albeit!). Did you listen to the link of his preaching? It is very edifying, by the way.

2011/5/24 21:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy