SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "What is hellfire preaching? Is hellfire preaching biblical?"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

"What is hellfire preaching? Is hellfire preaching biblical?"

"The term ‘hellfire preaching’ does not appear in the Bible, although the concepts of the fires of hell and the necessity of preaching certainly do. Hellfire preaching means different things to different people and conjures up different images, mostly negative. Those who use ‘hellfire preaching’ in the pejorative are generally repulsed by even the mere mention of hell, preferring instead to imagine a God whose great love for mankind simply precludes Him from sending anyone to hell or even allowing them to go to hell, despite their best efforts to do so. On the other extreme are those who see a perpetually angry, wrathful, and vengeful God who condemns people to hell for the sheer enjoyment He gets from it. Both views of God’s character and the reality of hell are biblically insupportable.

Although true preachers of the Word of God have always included the reality of hell in their messages, hellfire preaching has come to be associated with preachers of the 18th and 19th centuries in Europe and America. The image of Puritan preachers is often one of bewhiskered, black-frocked theological terrorists pounding their pulpits and continually threatening their congregations with eternal burning. Perhaps the epitome of the image of the hellfire preacher is Jonathan Edwards, whose sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” depicted the realities of hell so clearly that it was said the hearers could smell the sulphur burning. However, it is fair to say that Edwards believed strongly not only in the fearful reality of hell but his duty as a minister to warn people of that reality. “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God,” when read properly, has a clear emphasis upon the mercy of God. It is nothing but God’s mercy that keeps us out of hell, he was saying, and therefore we are to ask God for that mercy for salvation.

Is hellfire preaching biblical? Clearly Jesus taught on hell and He did so to warn people not to go there. Hell is depicted in Scripture as a very nasty place from which there is no escape. The punishment of the wicked dead in hell is described throughout Scripture as “eternal fire” (Matthew 25:41), “unquenchable fire” (Matthew 3:12), “shame and everlasting contempt” (Daniel 12:2), a place where “the fire is not quenched” (Mark 9:44-49), a place of “torment” and “fire” (Luke 16:23-24), a place where “the smoke of torment rises forever and ever” (Revelation 14:10-11), and a “lake of burning sulfur” where the wicked are “tormented day and night forever and ever” (Revelation 20:10). Surely a loving and compassionate Savior could not be so described if He failed to warn us about hell. But Jesus is certainly loving and compassionate, and He presented the joys and bliss of heaven and was clear about the only way to attain them. “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life” He said, “no one comes to the Father but through me” (John 14:6). The apostle Paul was equally blunt about the fate of those who rejected the gospel of salvation through Christ alone. They are condemned to ‘everlasting destruction’ (2 Thessalonians 1:8-9).

Is there a place for hellfire preaching today? Not only is there a place for teaching about the fires of hell and the only way to escape them, but true preaching of the gospel of Christ is not complete without it. If today’s pastors and preachers are to be consistent with the Scriptures, preaching and warning their flocks about the fires of hell must be part of their message. Too often, people are invited to come to Christ so He can ‘fix up’ their lives, make their marriages better, or provide health, wealth, and prosperity. But this is not the message of the Bible. We come to Christ for forgiveness of sin, the very presence of which in all our hearts is a sure one-way ticket to hell. A balanced, biblical message consists of the reality of hell, a warning to escape it, and the only way to do so—through the shed blood of Christ on the cross for our sins."

Source: gotquestions.org

2011/5/7 14:54Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: "What is hellfire preaching? Is hellfire preaching biblical?"

Hell-Fire Preachers Needed
by Greg Gordon

A urgent message to a sleepy church and dying world

HOLY FIRE OR HELL FIRE

Either people have Holy Ghost fire or hell-fire. There are no other options in the economy of God. The way is narrow that leads to life but the way broad that leads to destruction. Never before in the history of the Church has their seemed to be “so few” on this narrow way. The way most Christians are living shows no reverence for a Holy God. It is either God’s holy habitation or hell as our habitation. Never has there been so much sinning against grace. If there is no alarm for converted sinners going to hell fire then they will perish. Christ was a city shaking, trumpet blasting hell fire preacher. He warned day and night of hell, judgement and the world to come. The life that is living in righteousness is an utter contradiction to sinners. Christ himself was a contradiction to a whole generation that was untoward, perverse and pleasure seeking.

Hell, the refuse dump, the mad house of the universe. Nothing is more terrible, nothing more fierce. Nothing can stop its terrible torments and fury. A Christ-less, God-less eternity eagerly awaits those that walk contrary to God, to His commandments. Oh Christian will you not think and meditate on this awful fact; millions are heading on this broad road as we speak. Hell yawns its mouth greedily to swallow this pleasure seeking, hedonist generation.

THE SAVIOURS CRY

The warnings of Christ are many! He does not relent in his crying out of the sober truth of judgement and hell. Will we stop our own ears to hear of these things? Will we heap to ourselves books, teachers and churches that will tickle our ears of good things when it is an hour of urgency? It is a crisis hour! This world is going to have Holy Ghost revival fire or Hell fire judgement. Hear the weight of the testimony of God in the gospel of Matthew the apostle of Christ. He records Christ’s warnings and indictments to obstinate sinners, religious legalists, and sleepy believers. May our Bible’s become tear soaked as we recount many of Christ’s impassioned plea’s about a hell that is eternal and a judgement that is absolute!

“For I say unto you, that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of God.” -Matthew 5:20

“...but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell-fire.” -Matthew 5:22

“Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” -Matthew 7:14

“Every tree that beareth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” -Matthew 7:19

“But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” -Matthew 8:12

“He that findeth his life shall lose it; and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.” -Matthew 10:39

“Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not.” -Matthew 11:20

“And thou Capernaum which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell.” -Matthew 11:23

“But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gommorah in the day of judgement, then for thee.” -Matthew 11:24

“He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me, scattereth abroad.” -Matthew 12:30

“But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgement.” -Matthew 12:36

“...evil and adulterous generation.” -Matthew 12:39

“Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.” -Matthew 12:45

“And shall cast them into a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” -Matthew 13:42

“And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” -Matthew 13:50

“Ye hypocrites...” -Matthew 15:7

“...wicked and adulterous generation.” -Matthew 16:4

“For what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” -Matthew 16:26

“O faithless and perverse generation.” -Matthew 17:17

“...ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” -Matthew 18:3

“...it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.” -Matthew 18:8

“...be cast into hell fire.” -Matthew 18:9

“...a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.” -Matthew 19:23

“...for many are called but few chosen.” -Matthew 20:16

“...the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.” -Matthew 21:31

“Cast him into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” -Matthew 22:13

“...but few are chosen.” -Matthew 22:14

“...Ye do err, not knowing not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.” -Matthew 22:29

“For ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.” -Matthew 23:13

“Ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.” -Matthew 23:15

“Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers how can ye escape the damnation of hell?” -Matthew 23:33

“...there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” -Matthew 24:51

“...I know you not.” -Matthew 25:12

“And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” -Matthew 25:30

“Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.” -Matthew 25:41

“...into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” -Matthew 25:46

SIT AT EASE IN ZION?

Dear reader, after the weight, gravity and truth of these statements we should be on our knees, frothing with utter horror at the reality of it. Either we are of those that believe with all our heart and flee from the wrath to come or we find ourselves stripping him, mocking him, spit upon him, crucified him, and reviling him. Consider this statement from Leonard Ravenhill: “Could a mariner sit idle if he heard the drowning cry? could a doctor sit in a comfort and just let his patients die? could a fireman site idle, let men burn and give no hand? Can you sit at ease in Zion with the world around you DAMNED?”

Hell is filling by the minute as we idly stand by. If our praying and preaching is not marked by tears in these last days something is wrong with our hearts. This generation of believers is responsible for this generation of unbelievers. We need hell-fire preachers! burning, impassioned men that will cry out and spare not. In light of eternity is it not a shame the way we are living? will we get to the judgement seat of Christ and hear God say “my son, you were too spiritual minded, you cared too much about eternity?” No! we will look back and see all the riches of Jesus Christ and realize we have come to the judgement seat a pauper. “One life to live will soon be past, only what is done for Christ will last, and when I am dying how glad I will be, when the lamp of my life has been burnt out for Thee.”

So what do we do in response? Let us hear the words of Ravenhill on the matter: “Brethren, we have only one mission- to save souls; and yet they perish! Oh! Think of them! millions, hundreds of millions, maybe one thousand million eternal souls, need Christ. Without eternal life they perish! Oh! the shame of it! the horror of it! the tragedy of it! Christ was not willing that any should perish!” Let the world say what it will, let the church say what it will. We need hell-fire preachers. Oh Lord send them.

MY FRIEND

My Friend, I stand in Judgment now, and feel that you're to blame somehow. On earth, I walked with you day by day, and never did you point the way. You knew the Lord in truth and glory, but never did you tell the story. My knowledge then was very dim, you could have led me safe to Him.

Though we lived together on the earth, you never told me of the second birth. And now I stand this day condemned, because you failed to mention Him. You taught me many things, that's true, I called you "friend" and trusted you. But I learn now that it's too late, you could have kept me from this fate.

We walked by day and talked by night, and yet you showed me not the Light. You let me live, and love, and die, you knew I'd never live on high. Yes, I called you a "friend" in life, and trusted you through joy and strife. And yet on coming to the end, I cannot, now, call you "My Friend."

2011/5/7 15:01Profile

Amen Oracio!

"Not only is there a place for teaching about the fires of hell and the only way to escape them, but true preaching of the gospel of Christ is not complete without it. If today’s pastors and preachers are to be consistent with the Scriptures, preaching and warning their flocks about the fires of hell must be part of their message."

In Hebrews 6:1-2 "eternal judgment" is given as a foundation/first principle of the doctrine of Christ- and then in 2 John 9-11 we are told that those who transgress and don't abide in the doctrine of Christ do not have God- and that those who receive such or even bless them partake of their evil deeds.

2011/5/7 15:02

Just a question:

For every verse that mentions Hell - has anyone ever looked to see "whom" these comments were made to?

In other words, let's say we're looking at Jesus' words - have we looked at the context of these hell verses to whom was He speaking to?

We know that all the Epistles were written to those who claimed to be Christians - so we know those references to Hell were written to the "religious" - but have we checked every "Hell" reference from the Gospels, to see who Jesus or John the Baptist was speaking to?

Was it the "tax collectors and the prostitutes" of His day or the self-proclaimed "religious"?
Just wondering if anyone had divided up these verses into two lines - Those to those who weren't religious and knew they were sinners and those to those who considered themselves religious.

2011/5/7 15:31
rusaved1

Virginia

Re:

From my Independent Baptist background, I understand that term to mean a specific type of preaching, usually found in the south. I won't name names, but it's what's been referred to as "hell-fire, brimstone preachers." In other words, he's fired up for God about sin, about getting right, about doing right and everyone knows it. Have you ever been to these types of churches in, say, North Carolina, Alabama, etc.? I've been under that kind of preaching many times and God has really worked through it. God bless them; they seem so scarce nowadays.

Is anyone familiar with this?

I realize other preachers also preach about hell (and God knows we need more of them), but I'm just referring to this certain type of preaching I'm familiar with when this term was used.

2011/5/7 15:35Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I'm not scare of hellfire nor that type of preaching, I don't necessarily agree with it.

I am more afraid of being an object of God's Holy Wrath and this is what I believe should be preached. I understand hellfire preaching in the realm I have seen it used and that is the motivation of fear complete and absolute fear. Then a man gives his final invitation and gives you the decision of Heaven or Hell but that's not really the gospel. The gospel is through Christ we can become Friends and Brothers of the Most High and have forgiveness, that we are no longer Objects of God's Holy wrath but Objects of His Holy Love.

No to be apart from Christ for eternity is far worse than any pain we can bear in the afterlife. Now not to confuse anyone I will say I have heard very good and proper extortation that would be considered Hellfire Preaching but again I am speaking from personal experience and by no means am speaking as an all incompassing knowledge on the topic. :)

Everything in the Gospel has its place, and Its the Kindness of God that causes a man to repent, I know far to many people that are scare of Hell but have no fear of God. Just some thoughts. :)

2011/5/8 1:17Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Post deleted due to update in newer post.

2011/5/8 1:22Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Post deleted

2011/5/8 1:28Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

rusaved wrote:

Quote:
From my Independent Baptist background, I understand that term to mean a specific type of preaching, usually found in the south. I won't name names, but it's what's been referred to as "hell-fire, brimstone preachers." In other words, he's fired up for God about sin, about getting right, about doing right and everyone knows it. Have you ever been to these types of churches in, say, North Carolina, Alabama, etc.? I've been under that kind of preaching many times and God has really worked through it. God bless them; they seem so scarce nowadays.

Yes, I know what you are referring to. I've been blessed by that kind of preaching also. Sadly, there is much false immitation of it on TV from the health wealth and prosperity preachers.

2011/5/8 1:36Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Jesus-is-GOD wrote:

Quote:
In other words, let's say we're looking at Jesus' words - have we looked at the context of these hell verses to whom was He speaking to?

Great question. It prompted me to do a study on that. It is often argued today that warnings about Judgment Day and hell should be given only to religious hypocrites. So here's what I got so far from the four Gospels:

Christ's warnings about hell adressed to:

THE MULTITUDES OR CROWDS = 6 TIMES
(Matt.5:22; Matt.5:29; Matt.7:19; Matt.8:12; Matt.13:30; Luke 13:24-30)

HIS DISCIPLES = 11 TIMES
(Matt.10:28; Matt.13:41-42; Matt.13:49-50; Matt.18:8-9; Matt.18:34-35; Matt.24:50-51; Matt.25:30: Matt.25:41; Matt.25:46; Jn.15:6)

THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES = 5 TIMES
(Matt.21:43-44; Matt.22:13; Matt.23:33; Mk.3:29; Lk.16:19-31)

CERTAIN CITIES = 1 TIME
(Lk.10:15)

Christ's warnings about Judgment Day, hell, or both, addressed to:
(Note: This following break-down includes the scripture references from the break-down above because it includes warnings about hell)

THE MULTITUDES OR CROWDS = 11 TIMES
(Matt.5:22; Matt.5:29; Matt.7:19; Matt.7:23; Matt.8:12; Matt.8:34-38; Matt.13:30; Lk.12:20; Lk.13:1-5; Lk.13:24-30; Jn.12:48)

HIS DISCIPLES = 14 TIMES
(Matt.10:15; Matt.10:28; Matt.13:41-42; Matt.13:49-50; Matt.16:26-27; Matt.18:8-9; Matt.18:34-35; Matt.24:50-51; Matt.25:30: Matt.25:41; Matt.25:46; Mk.16:16; Lk.21:34-36; Jn.15:6)

THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES = 12 TIMES
(Matt.12:31; Matt.12:36-37; Matt.12:42; Matt.21:43-44; Matt.22:13; Matt.23:33; Matt.26:64; Mk.3:29; Lk.11:49-52; Lk.16:19-31; Lk.2046-47; Jn.5:28-29)

CERTAIN CITIES = 3 TIMES
(Matt.11:24; Lk.10:13; Lk.10:15)

John the baptist also warned not only religious people about Judgment Day and hell but also the multitudes which included the tax collectors, soldiers, etc.(see Luke 3:7).

Also, I think we should keep in mind that our Lord commanded the disciples to preach publicly what they heard privately from Him(Matthew 9:27).

2011/5/8 3:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy