SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Second Generation "Christians" With No Assurance of Salvation

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rusaved1

Virginia

Second Generation "Christians" With No Assurance of Salvation

Do you know of anyone who grew up in a godly home, has heard it all, and wants it all, for the most part, but just DOESN'T have it? I hear more and more of these stories all the time and I was one of them myself, so I can totally identify with the struggles, down to the smallest details, almost. Roy Daniel wrote on this subject and I wanted to share it here. (Forgive me if this has already been posted before.)

I would propose a different conclusion than his and plan to post it here soon.

http://www.prayerclub.net/literature/booklets/374-literature-booklets/2913-answers-for-those-who-grew-up-in-conservative-evangelical-christian-homes-who-are-struggling-to-find-assurance-of-salvation.html

2011/5/7 14:00Profile
itg3712

Re: Second Generation "Christians" With No Assurance of Salvation

IMHO, struggling for assurance is a healthy problem to have. It shows that one is looking for evidences and fruit and genuine assurance that a supernatural work has been done.

The Gospel of John compares the work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration to wind where you cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes (John 3:8). Like the wind, assurance can be elusive.

The worse problem is when those who are spiritually lost are thinking that they have already been saved. In recent decades, too many have been falsely assured by human formulas and human reassurances rather than by the supernatural work of genuine spiritual regeneration in the new birth.

Looking at the letters to the angel (messenger) at each of seven churches (Revelation 2-3), there are promises that are given in each letter that apply only to him that overcomes. Even to first century churches, warning was given to sustain in Christian living and to overcome. He that hath an ear, let him hear with the Spirit says to the churches.

Quote:
work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.(Philippians 2:12)

Assurance is possible:

Quote:
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life. (1 John 5:13)

JC Ryle is one author who has written on the subject of gaining full assurance. There are others.

2011/5/7 14:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Excellent resource and excellent ministry and website. Brother Roy Daniel is a dear brother that prays and knows the heart of God.

2011/5/7 14:49Profile
rusaved1

Virginia

Re:

I would agree with you, itg3712.

Quote:
The worse problem is when those who are spiritually lost are thinking that they have already been saved. In recent decades, too many have been falsely assured by human formulas and human reassurances rather than by the supernatural work of genuine spiritual regeneration in the new birth.

Precisely. GOD'S PROMISE is just simply so far removed from MAN'S promise of "now you're saved!" but so many souls buy it.

1 John 5:10 is just one of so many verses on the witness of the Spirit.

"He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself:"

In general, the body of Christ has somehow "forgotten" and definitely neglected this monumentally important aspect regarding this major tenant of true conversion. God have mercy!

I do recognize that unconfessed sin may cause a believer's assurance to fade away. I'll look into Ryle's works on this. Thanks for the suggestion.

2011/5/7 15:17Profile
rusaved1

Virginia

Re:

Quote:
Excellent resource and excellent ministry and website. Brother Roy Daniel is a dear brother that prays and knows the heart of God.

Absolutely! One of those worthwhile sites!

2011/5/7 15:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy