SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : God's Warnings About False Prophets In Scripture

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

God's Warnings About False Prophets In Scripture

If a doctor was telling patients that even if they didn't take their medicine properly NOW, they could take it later when they felt like it and still live- or they'd live anyway even if they didn't take it all- that doctor would be removed from his practice and put in jail or a mental hospital! Yet that is what preachers who seek to please men have told people in the past, and continue to do so today.

In Jeremiah 23 we are told about these preachers that God rebukes for deceiving guilty, unrepentant people into believing they have peace with God and will be saved from His wrath. "Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD. They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you." (Jeremiah 23:16-17)

God then sets the record straight about His certain judgment of those who despise Him and walk after the imagination of their own heart (2 Samuel 12:9-10 shows that despise to despise God's commandment is to despise God Himself) as well as the real source of the false prophet's ministry. "For who hath stood in the counsel of the LORD, and hath perceived and heard his word? who hath marked his word, and heard it? Behold, a whirlwind of the LORD is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked. The anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly. I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied." (Jeremiah 23:18-21)

Jeremiah then describes the preaching of preachers that have truly heard from God and have really been sent by Him to speak to people. "But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings." (Jeremiah 23:22)

The Apostle Paul knew that in New Testament times false prophets/teachers would still give false hope and comfort to those who refused to repent and let Christ be Lord now- which is why he gave constant warnings that there is no hope for the unrepentant/unbelieving to be saved. He made it clear that such would NEVER enter God's kingdom and stressed to his audience not to be deceived by such people.

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? BE NOT DECEIVED: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I TELL YOU BEFORE, AS I HAVE ALSO TOLD YOU IN TIME PAST, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21)

"For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. LET NO MAN DECEIVE YOU WITH VAIN WORDS: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience." (Ephesians 5:5-6)

"For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a CERTAIN FEARFUL LOOKING FOR OF JUDGMENT AND FIERY INDIGNATION, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:26-31)

Such false prophets still abound today. Their message faces little or no opposition- except from those who take God's word and the eternal destinies of people seriously- and therefore won't let such lies go unchallenged!

The way of self-interest is so normal and to truly let Jesus be Lord is to turn against everything the world stands for. Friendship with the world is enmity with God (James 4:4) and the way of self-interest is the essence of world's spirit (Ephesians 2:2-3). We must die to self with Christ in order to live to God with him (Romans 6:1-11). It is no surprise then that false prophets are called "enemies of the cross of Christ in Philippians 3:18 because their lives are ruled by self-interest (see Philippians 3:19) and such a life is what they'll lead and secure others in by their message, or at least by their example.

Any preacher who comforts those in sin is not of God, because if they were of God they would risk offending their hearers and as a result suffering loss of finances, following, popularity, etc. They may appear righteous, but their message betrays them and proves they are deceivers. "For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works." (2 Corinthians 11:13-15) Those whose message insists that people let Christ be Lord and turn from sin/self also do harm if their lives are not a demonstration of the message they preach. "If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch." (Matthew 15:39b) Yet it is important to remember that the audience of such preachers are still accountable to obey what lines up with God's word, even if coming from a disobedient preacher. These words of Jesus are relevant here "Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not." (Matthew 23:1-3)

Jesus knew how normal it would be to accept sin in our lives and deceive ourselves by rationalizing that we can somehow be saved while still taking pleasure in it. He knew how comforting the words of false prophets would be to the ears and how easily they'd make their hearers believe all is okay with them even when that wasn't the case. That has to do with why Jesus said "And if thine offend thee, pluck it out; it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire; Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:47-48- in Mark 9:43-46 Jesus said the same about the hand and the foot)

I warn everyone not to be deceived by the ear-tickling preachers that abound everywhere today; now is the time to get serious about salvation; now is the time to be diligent to turn from the attitudes of the careless, ungodly society we live in to follow Christ; now is the time to fear God, turn from all sin, and put Jesus on the throne of our lives; now is the time to put your entire confidence in Christ and call on him until he seals you with his Holy Spirit and you know you're REALLY God's child (Romans 8:16); now is the time to bear the fruit of righteousness which evidences that (John 15:1-11); now is the time to enter the strait gate and walk the narrow way that leads to life (Matthew 7:13-14).

And please Do NOT tell those who are unrepentant over their sin and refuse to let their life be ruled by Christ's word that they have peace with God. True repentance is described by 2 Corinthians 7:10-11 "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter." To tell those whom these verses do not describe that they are safe from God's judgment and wrath is truly worse than a doctor telling a man he'll be safe even if he doesn't take his medicine. The tragic effects of this false comfort are eternal!

"Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men" (2 Corinthians 5:10a)

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." (Revelation 14:6-7)

2011/5/7 2:46
mattandliz

Re: God's Warnings About False Prophets In Scripture

Amen.

2011/5/7 2:56Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Amen growingone. Good word. God bless you for preaching the truth.

"For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ."
(Galatians 1:10)(ESV)

2011/5/7 23:27Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Amen growingone,

We all need to take what we hear from others and place it under the light of Christ.

2011/5/8 0:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy