SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Where to distribute tithes?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Pandarus

Queensland, Australia

Where to distribute tithes?

Hi folks,

Let me start by saying I am of the opinion that we should tithe.

My question more revolves around where to distribute tithes. I've read in detail most of the biblical verses on tithing, giving, offerings and money and am firmly of the opinion it's not all meant for the church. At least not in NT times.

Our Lord was very concerned with the poor. So, specifically:

Child Sponsorship (through a Christian organisation). Is this cosidered part of tithing or is it an extra offering?
Supporting parents in obedience to the 10 commandaments and Pauls writing. Is this considered part of tithing or is it an extra offering?
Giving to the needs of homeless shelters and those that feed the hungry and homeless. Is this part of tithing or is it an extra offering?

I do think we need to give some to our home churches. Certainly. But do we seek God to see what he puts on our hearts as to where to give the tithe? Or do you have another position?

Answers would be most helpful.

2011/5/3 22:21Profile
Pandora-B

Re: Where to distribute tithes?

- Mk.12:38-44
- Mk.13:1-5

Jesus teaching in The Temple was
gladly heard by commom people.

His warning was to beware of Scribes.
Who devoured widows houses.
As He sat opposite the Treasury
(Seeing How) people put in money.

He noted a poor widow
who gave all that she had to the treasure.

Then going out of the Temple
to sit on The Mt. opposite The Temple.
One of His disciples questioned Him but to observe
the greatness of The Temple.

And Jesus questioned him to see the greatness
of The Temple which would be torn down.

- Preachers teach this poor widow as an example for us.
As if Jesus had commended the widow
for putting in all of her livelihood.

Jesus did not commend this action of her giving.
Nor did Jesus' afford any blessing to her
for this giving of all she had into The Temple Treasury.

But He warned common people against Scribes
who'd devour what widows had. -

2011/5/5 8:02Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Well to tithe biblically you wouldn't ever use money any tithe given in the Old Testament was a Grain offering or Animal offering.

And to be more specific there were actually Four different kinds of Tithe in the Old Testament. In the quotes is from an author who has studied this very extensively and is basically his life's work. I posted earlier but this guy explains it all so much better.

"(1) The first religious tithe, called the Levitical tithe, had two parts. Again, the whole first tithe was given to the Levites who were only servants to the priests (Num 18:21-24; Neh 10:37b). The Levites, in turn, gave one tenth of the whole tithe to the priests (Num 18:25-28; Neh 10:38). (2) According to Deuteronomy 12 and 14, the second religious tithe, called the feast tithe, was eaten by worshipers in the streets of Jerusalem during the three yearly festivals (Deu 12:1-19; 14:22-26). (3) And, according to Deuteronomy 14 and 26, a third tithe, called the poor tithe, was kept in the towns every third year to feed the poor (Deu 14:28, 29; 26:12, 13). (4) Also, according to First Samuel 8:14-17, the ruler collected the first and best ten per cent for political use. During Jesus’ time Rome collected the first ten per cent (10%) of most food and twenty per cent (20%) of fruit crops as its spoils of war. It is dishonest to single out the one religious tithe and ignore the other two important religious tithes."

Notice this, the priest would never use the tithe for building, the Tent of Meeting was built through free will offerings from the people and the Temple in Jerusalem was built by Highly Taxing the people into rebellion.

We have seen in our day a large distortion of biblical tithing in that many will twist the arms of the congregation in order to get "God's 10% cut" True prosperity and joy comes from a Thankful and Happy heart that graciously and mercifully gives to those that truly need the help. I hope this helps!

God Bless,
Matthew

*Edited Adding some better explanation from www.tithing-russkelly.com *

2011/5/5 8:29Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Another great point to make on Biblical Tithing is that if you as a Levite or Priest accepted tithes you then also forfeit your right to own property or land.

If we wanted to follow tithing as taught in the bible our modern day Pastors would need to do the same exact thing. Not many of them would be willing to do this I would imagine.

2011/5/5 8:45Profile
itg3712

I have never forgotten the message of denominational who spoke in my local church approximately thirty years ago. This speaker spoke on:

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse...(Malachi 3:10)

The speaker argued that the storehouse was God's appointed repository for the tithe and that whole tithe ought to go to one place and that one place was the local church.

I can testify that bringing the tithe to one place is an incentive to pray for that one place, the local church.

Other giving to other places is an offering.

2011/5/5 9:35Profile
mikey2

Re:

God is not nearly so concerned with how much we give as he is with our heart and our attitude. God wants the heart first -- and when he has your heart, your pocketbook comes along with it! The foundational decision is to sanctify the Lord in your heart, and to submit to the Lordship of Christ over all your life [as imperfectly as we all do this], and then God will make easy the decision concerning how much to give -- for then our giving will be a reflection of the joy and gratitude and DESIRE to serve him, rather than a legalistic requirement.

Giving is a privilege of grace, not a requirement of law. And ALL giving to God is -- by definition -- voluntary. And what is required is NOT voluntary, and what is voluntary is NOT required. They are mutually exclusive. This is taught all the way through the Bible -- even in the law of Moses. The OT and the NT are entirely consistent with each other in this regard.

2 COR. 9:7: "Let each one of you give as he has determined in his own heart to give, not grudgingly, and not under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Read that verse very carefully, and you will see that that one sentence rules out the compulsion of a required tenth -- or any other percent.

2 COR. 9:7 IS God's will concerning our giving under grace. You decide in your own heart how much to give. If anyone has any fear that grace can motivate generous, sacrificial giving, then you really do not understand grace at all.

The Holy Spirit will show you where to give and you don't have to ask any man. You only have one Shepherd.

Mikey

2011/5/5 12:24Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

mguldner wrote:

Quote:
It is dishonest to single out the one religious tithe and ignore the other two important religious tithes."

Thanks Matthew for the post and link. The doctrine of modern tithing as taught today is an example to me of how easily God's people can be deceived by man-made systems. Truly sad indeed.

2011/5/5 13:21Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

In North America we are countries of "rich young rulers" all with our own land and "chariots" (automobiles). I believe it is very important for all of us to tithe our resources as best as we can to show mammon is not ruling us here in this society where "money" is one of the cheif false gods worshipped.

Local church that is doing the work of the ministry is one of the best places to give your tithe.

2011/5/5 13:56Profile
Pandora-B

~ Jesus said
the poor you have with you always.

Where are the poor?
With you.

2011/5/5 14:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The local church should be a place where the poor are ministered to abundantly, in body and spirit.

2011/5/5 14:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy