SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : River of the Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

River of the Spirit

“. . . when we first came out here, I looked at the map to see 'where are we?' why, we're 20 miles from the Mississippi River. Which means 'River of the Spirit,' that flows through the nation out to the Gulf of Mexico, and out to the nations. We can visit it out of a lake bed that percolates up through the grit of that sand and dirt and becomes the origin of a river that brings life to the continent and to the nations. And the LORD said 'that's you,' out of Ben Israel, out of the grit of earthly lives and their friction and their raw materials of rubbing together will come a purified water of life, flowing through the nation, out to the nations.”

The Royal Priesthood – Art Katz @~43:00
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=21702&commentView=itemComments

2011/4/27 14:20Profile

Re: River of the Spirit

Thank you HeartSong, this truly helped yesterday and downloaded two more by Art afterwards to get built up.
Had downloaded dozens into my old computer that died, so back at it again.

Thanks for bringing this forward. I needed the push.

2011/4/28 14:45
HeartSong

Re:

Divided by a river: Two states grapple with rising floodwaters
By Chelsea J. Carter, CNN, April 30, 2011 10:01 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- A mandatory evacuation was issued Saturday for a southwestern Illinois town threatened by the rain-swollen Mississippi River, an order that was issued as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers weighed whether to blow up a levee and flood rural farm communities to save the town.

Heavy rains have pushed the river to near-record levels, putting pressure on a tributary system that began buckling days earlier when a levee failed and flooded a handful of rural towns in southeastern Missouri.

"I know that the price being paid is high," said Maj. Gen. Michael Walsh of the Army Corps of Engineers, who told reporters during a briefing that he had flown over a number of the affected communities.

With more rain predicted and the deterioration of a levee near Cairo, Illinois, the town's mayor, Judson Childs, ordered his 2,800 residents to leave by midnight.

Walsh told reporters that a decision whether to blow a 2-mile hole in the levee to save Cairo will be dictated by the conditions.

"The decision clock has been rolling," he said.

But the decision whether to blow up the levee has pitted Illinois and Missouri against one another in recent days, with Missouri filing a federal lawsuit to block the Corps. Illinois joined the Corps as a defendant.

A federal judge ruled Friday against Missouri, saying a 1928 law permitted the breach of a levee to ease pressure on the river.

Caught in the middle, though, are residents on either side of the river, which threatens to swallow communities in Missouri and Illinois.

"People are losing their jobs. They're losing their homes. They are losing the beds they sleep in at night. All because of this flooding," said Aaron Mitchell, 48, who worries breaching the levee could overwhelm smaller tributaries that could flood his home.

Mitchell is also concerned about where the water released under the Corps' plan would go since much of the land in the area is already under water because of heavy rains.

"Where is all that water going to go?" he said.

The plan calls for engineers to use explosives to breach the Birds Point-New Madrid levee, flooding 130,000 acres of Missouri farmland that has been designated as a flood plain. About 90 families who live in the area have already been evacuated, Missouri officials have said.

Illinois and Missouri have called out hundreds of National Guard soldiers to help evacuate communities and protect vacated communities.

But while government officials were divided by the decision to breach the levee, residents on both sides of the river appeared to be pulling together.

Families forced to flee were being offered shelter in area hotels and at local churches, according to county officials.

A car dealership in Sikeston, Missouri, was allowing residents forced to leave their homes to store furniture and other personal belongings in buildings on their lot, while some restaurants in the area were providing food to the displaced.

"Everybody is pulling together," Mitchell said.

While Walsh said a final decision has not been made to breach the Birds Point-New Madrid levee, he has begun preparations by ordering barges that would be used in the operation to move toward the levee.

Engineers have reported sand boils and seepage at a number of levees near the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, a condition that Walsh said also threatens the integrity of the Mississippi River and Tributaries Project -- the world's largest flood control project.

"There is water in places where we have never ever seen it before," Walsh said.

Engineers have warned that should the rising waters of the Mississippi River overwhelm the entire flood control project, it could deluge cities, destroy crops, destroy businesses and paralyze river transportation.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/30/missouri.levee.breach/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

2011/5/1 0:22Profile

Re:

Welp, on the east coast, we're 40 minutes into May.

Rhymes with Pray.

Can't think of anything better to do. Amen!?!

2011/5/1 0:41
HeartSong

Re:

It is the Mississippi that divides the East from the West.

2011/5/1 1:03Profile

Re:

Sis, I know others may be confused on how we switched topics from Art's message to current events - but as women will do :) - we definitely multi-task conversationally - as well as being "entitled to change our minds" :) - Wherever 'that' saying came from - I don't know.

Been collecting data on the Missippi river area as well.

Wanted to share a few links that you may have seen - not sure.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Sand-boils-may-cause-levee-breach-121028764.html

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/floods/2011-04-30-illinois-flood-threat_n.htm

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/showthread.php?s=43845baebdcff2896aa5dcfd31907d55&t=137216

Some parts of this page -

http://urbansurvival.com/week.htm

Back to praying now for our friends, families and just folks in general in these areas.

GOD's in control - That we can Know.
He "allows" - not always 'ordains'.

Bless you Sis!

2011/5/1 15:44
HeartSong

Re:

Thank you sister. I had not even heard of sand boils.

This morning it occurred to me that Katrina hit at the mouth of the Mississippi. Additionally, the Deep Water Oil Spill was also at the mouth of the Mississippi.

I found this comment to be interesting in the Tree of Liberty Thread: "In its heyday, Cairo was a bustling river town and was home to captains of industry, shipping magnates, wealthy business people and other “people of note.” It’s even mentioned in James A Michener’s epic miniseries, “Centennial.” It was mentioned in Michener’s book because in the late 1800s, Cairo was THE gateway to the west." And then I realize that there is a Cairo in Egypt. I do wish I had paid more attention in my Geography and History classes.

I am praying sister - especially as I am reading that the river is rising and they are setting up the explosives. Oh the foolishness of the wisdom of man.

2011/5/2 14:15Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Oh the SORROW!

2011/5/2 15:12Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Missouri flood control threatens farmland
Marketplace Morning Report, Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Army Corps of Engineers has created a large hole in a Missouri levee to regulate potential flooding of the Ohio River. Mississippi, Missouri county clerk Hubert Delay explains what this means for his county's economy.

JEREMY HOBSON: In Missouri the Army Corps of Engineers has blown a hole in a Mississippi River levee. The corps did that late last night to prevent rising floodwaters from inundating cities like Cairo, Illinois. But the move means huge swaths of prime farmland will be destroyed.
Hubert Delay is the county clerk in Mo. and he joins us now. Good morning sir.

HUBERT DELAY: Good morning.

HOBSON: Well, tell us about this blast that happened last night.

DELAY: We weren't expecting the explosion to be so large. In fact just a few minutes after the explosion took place, our house started shaking, our windows started rattling. It felt like a 7.5 magnitude earthquake. It was tremendous.

HOBSON: And is there water pouring in now from that exploded levee?

DELAY: Yes, the Ohio River has dropped about 1 foot.

HOBSON: What are the economic consequences for the farmers who live there?

DELAY: Well, the economic consequences will be dire for the farmers and not only for the farmers, for our entire county. Not only will the farmers lose their crops and all that are already in there and probably won't be able to put a crop in, but that's going to have a ripple effect on the rest of our county. Agriculture's the life blood of our local economy here.

HOBSON: The Army Corps is doing this, it says because it wants to prevent worse problems. Do you think that they're making the right decision here?

DELAY: Well, that remains to be seen. Of course the Corps maintains that this is a flood of historic proportions and they insure us that the system had to be operated the way it was in order to relieve pressure both up river and down river.

HOBSON: Hubert Delay is the county clerk in Mississippi County, Mo. which is dealing with the effects of an explosion of the levee there. Mr. Delay, thank you so much for talking with us and good luck.

DELAY: You're most welcome, thank you very much.

Source: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/05/03/am-missouri-flood-control-threatens-farmland/?refid=0

2011/5/4 4:39Profile
browny

Re:

Perhaps this is an interesting site to follow?

2011/5/4 7:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy