SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sharing with someone who is cynical and negative

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

Sharing with someone who is cynical and negative

How would you share or rather
what would you share with someone
who does profess to be a believer but
admits they struggle with being cynical and negative.
They also have great difficulty with people
and being around them in large groups?

God bless

edited: for error

2011/4/26 23:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Sharing with someone who is synical and negative

I can see myself as this sometimes. I try as much as I can sometimes just to really spend time with anyone I would disagree with or not see eye-to-eye with but just love them and serve them. Especially in revival ministry I feel we need to protect ourselves against negativism and being syndical about everything. Also some people who are negative can use it to hid hurts in their lives or as you alluded to their inability to socialize well.

2011/4/26 23:34Profile

Re: Sharing with someone who is synical and negative

Hi MaryJane,

Seems that the person lost trust or has been lied to many times. Hard to say as this type of communication is very limiting. I would have to spend 30 minutes to an hour with them. But cynicsm and negativity betrays a hardness of the heart that could be due to loss of trust resulting in being betrayed. This would make them suspicious, unbelieving and untrusting. If this is not dealt with, it will hurt them in their walk with God.

I could be way off, because I am only going on the little that you said and experience. Everyone is different. But clearly, this person has been hurt.

A777

2011/4/27 1:16
jimp

Re:

hi, this person does not believe that JESUS looked down the years of time and saw him or her personnally from the cross and loved h/her enough to die for them. also that His love was and is so great that they are rapt in it and securred by it. that they are accepted in the Beloved.jimp

2011/4/27 2:01Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Thanks for the replies. I want to be careful not to offer excuses for this sinful behavior.Even if there have been some past hurts, it still needs to be dealt with in Christ Jesus. I guess the best thing to remember and keep pointing out is the need to trust in the Lord. I do see where this cynical heart and attitude can and does harm the ability to share with others or even pray for others.

God Bless

2011/4/27 7:40Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

This maybe completely wrong as well, but what a lot of people don't realize is their lack of appreciation for the little things in life. When I wake up and go to bed I thank God for the day and everything else that I can think of, little things we sometimes take for granted. Doing this has greatly increased my gratitude and given me an upbeat attitude (most of the time).

My wife deals with negative people sometimes at work and she simply tells them "There are people right now in Africa that are starving to death and would definitely trade places with you right now" Point being there is always somebody else worse off than yourself thus nullifying your right to complain or be negative. That may just be me I like to look on the brightside.

2011/4/27 7:45Profile
itg3712

Re:

Almighty God is going to know and understand those hurts better than any human being ever will.

If you can get alongside the person and have them listen, you can testify and remind them that...

The statutes of the Lord in the Word of God are right and rejoice the heart (Psalm 19:8).

Jesus is the great consoler and He sends the Holy Spirit as another Comforter (John 14:1,16,18,26-27).

The destiny of the communion of saints in heaven is that the saints shall be secure and sing. They shall sing the song of Moses and the Song of the Lamb (Revelation 15:3-4).

2011/4/27 8:23Profile

Re:

MaryJane,

Where there are hurts, there is always personal responsibility. If they were innocent, there is always personal responsibility, NOW. God does not allow us to be blameshifters and we have to deal with why we are continuiing to harbor/nurture the hurts. The Holy Spirit is the Healer and will deal with the effect of the hurts.

A777

2011/4/27 8:35
MaryJane

Re:

mguldner

what you wrote also struck a nerve within me. I had not thought about how selfish this attitude of negativity could be. Something happened just moments ago that God opened my eyes to and I realize just how poisonous this cynical, negative attitudes can be to relationships with others. I am beginning to think this is coming down to a lack of trust.

So much comes down to that issues, faith and trust.

God Bless

2011/4/27 9:24Profile
MaryJane

Re:

A777
Yes there is personal responsibility. I agree God does not allow us to be blame shifters so there must be accountability for attitudes we carry with us now no matter what events happened in the past of even present. Sin is sin and we must deal with it in Christ.

I do believe Greg touched on something as well, the inability to socialize well really can play a part in our attitudes as well.

thank you for your replies they have been very helpful to me.
God Bless

2011/4/27 9:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy