Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : We need Prevailing Prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dbiser

We need Prevailing Prayer

Here is the account of the two sisters that prayed for D L Moody. He preached the first time with no power; but when these two ladies gave themselves to pray - Revival in London broke out. This is what we need. Let us pray in such a fashion for this time of gathering.

Until,
dan biser

"After the Chicago fire he went to London to rest and to learn from the Bible scholars there. He had no intention of preaching. One Sunday morning he was persuaded to preach in a church in London. Everything about the service dragged. He wished that he had never consented to preach. There was a woman in the city who had heard of Mr. Moody's work in America and had been asking God to send him to London. This woman was an invalid. Her sister was present at the church that Sunday morning. When the hearer reached home she asked her sister to guess who had spoken for them that morning. She guessed one after another of those with whom her pastor was in the habit of exchanging, never guessing aright. Her sister said, 'No, Mr. Moody from Chicago.' The sick woman turned pale, and said, 'This is an answer to my prayer. If I had known that he was to be at our church, I should have eaten nothing this morning, but waited on God in prayer. .Leave me alone this afternoon: do not let anyone come to see me; do not send me any thing to eat.' All that afternoon that woman gave herself to prayer. As Mr. Moody preached that night, he soon became conscious that there was a different atmosphere in the church. 'The powers of an unseen world seemed to fall' upon him and his hearers. As he drew to a close he felt impressed to give out an invitation. He asked for all who would accept Christ to rise. Four or five hundred people rose. He thought that they misunderstood him, and so he put the question several ways that there might be no mistake. But no, they had understood.

2011/4/23 21:25Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re: We need Prevailing Prayer

Amen, good word.

2011/4/23 22:44Profile

Re:

Outstanding word! :)

Thanks!!

2011/4/23 22:55
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

I agree!!

2011/4/23 23:01Profile
mama27

Re:

I hate to ask a dumb question, but HOW and WHAT did the ladies pray?? I don't pray all day, but I have a busy family yet at home....I do pray MUCH for revival though....and I have read the books on Why Revival Tarries, etc. I just can't help but wonder what was their "secret" :) Of course it is all in God's perfect time....I know we are all so longing for a great move of God....

2011/4/23 23:43Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
I hate to ask a dumb question, but HOW and WHAT did the ladies pray??

This may help a little, sister.

The link to this video is here. (This is an excellent video too by the way! One of my favorites by her.)
Call for Wailing Women by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/viewcat.php?cid=38

And the transcript for it is here.
http://www.reviveourhearts.com/radio/roh/today.php?pid=10197

"We need to:

weep over the violence
weep over the perversion
weep as the things of God are mocked and scorned in our land
weep over our families
weep over the rebellion.
Over and over and over again I’m receiving these prayer cards from Christian women in evangelical churches who are pouring out their hearts for their children or their grandchildren who grew up in the church but have no heart for the things of God.

I spoke recently at a Christian school to some faculty and staff and parents. The spiritual counselor at the school said to me, “We need this message here because the kids in this Christian school”—these are her words—“hate God.”

And it’s true. I’m hearing, “What has happened in our homes, in our Christian homes? We’ve produced not just a few but a whole crop of young people who cannot stand the things of God.”

We need to weep over the rebellion in our homes, the immorality, the culture of divorce. I don’t think we realize what has happened through this whole culture of divorce.

For the first time in recent years, the divorce rate inside the church is higher than the divorce rate out in the secular world. We’ve got to weep and wail over the fact that we have broken covenant with God.

We need to weep over our churches. We’re playing church. We’re so busy trying to be relevant to the world that we’ve become just like the world. And the world is not impressed.

We need to weep and wail over our sin as Christian women. I know this is not politically correct, but we’ve got to get back to the Word of God, what’s biblically correct, and say, “O God, we have sinned against You as Christian women.”

Everywhere I go, when I speak on the subject of forgiveness, I ask women, “How many of you would be honest enough to say, ‘There’s a root of bitterness or unforgiveness in my heart’?”

Invariably 85–95% of the hands of Christian women go up into the air. We must weep and wail over the fact that we are a bitter, unforgiving group of Christian women.

I’m hearing Christian women express their anger. We’re an angry, demanding group of women. We need to confess it and weep over it, to weep over our lack of submission to God’s authority and the authorities He’s placed in our lives.

We’ve grown up in a “rights crazed” generation, and many of us have bought into that bill of goods. We’ve been deceived by the enemy into believing that we can “have it our way,” that we ought to be in control of our lives and our world and the people around us. So we’ve become controllers and manipulators rather than having that meek and quiet spirit that trusts in God, that yields our rights.

We need to weep over the sin among Christian women of immodesty, lack of discretion. I received a letter just a week or so ago from a woman who said you can hardly go to church today without seeing women dressed like the world, immodest; not, as the Scripture says, with modesty and femininity and sobriety [see 1 Timothy 2:9].

Weep over our lack of discretion. Weep over the fact that we’ve been deceived; that we’ve prioritized careers over family, over being wives and mothers; that we’ve not taught our children the ways of God; that we’ve not protected our children from ungodly and unholy influences; that we have broken vows, our marriage covenant and our vows before God.

We need to weep not only over the sins of women in general but over our own sins, over own hardness of heart. There are women in this place—I don’t know who you are, but God has been speaking to you today—women who are involved right now in a relationship that is immoral and ungodly.

You’re in a burning house, and you ought to weep and wail over what this is doing to you and your children and grandchildren, to future generations and to those around you and to the culture. We are part of this. We’ve got to take responsibility and wail before God.

In Lamentations 2:19 (KJV), the prophet says,

Arise, cry out in the night: in the beginning of the [night] watches pour out thine heart like water before the face of the Lord: lift up thy hands toward him for the life of thy young children, that faint for hunger in the top of every street."

2011/4/24 0:28Profile
mama27

Re:

This is so excellent! Maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought - so much of this has been the continual cry of my heart for a very long time. Surely it is the heartcry of many of the hearts of others on this site. It is not just the sitting alone in the prayer closet, Bible in hand - for me it is also the cry of my heart before God as I drive down the road and walk down the drive to get my mail and fold towels and take a shower - any time where my thoughts are free to focus on the things of God. As I mentioned on another thread on prayer, it is like breathing. How can you walk through this world as a believer and NOT cry out over the things that must grieve and pierce the heart of God continually! (I am not discounting my own heart).

Thank you for sharing this - it articulates so well what has been inside of me for so long. And as I've asked the Lord, "How can MY prayers be of any effect? I am just one weak woman longing to see You move in this world of ours..." But surely He hears our cry, and will move in His perfect time.

I look forward to having time to view the video..

2011/4/24 7:13Profile
dbiser

Re:

yes, God is moving in many to do just as you have shared, 'To seek and find Him' through prayer. Andrew murray wrote, 'Blessed inner chamber, where I may approach God in Christ through the Word and prayer.' Each of us have our own way of praying. But the spirit of prayer is from God. And as He movves my heart, so He moves your heart to cry out to Him. There is such a need for prevailing prayer and the necessity is that we be faithful.
And by the way, there are no dumb questions.

may God increase your ways with Him; and may we see His glory shortly upon this land.

Until,
dan
http://dbiser.blogspot.com
http://danbiser.blogspot.com
http://www.brokenbeforethethrone.com

2011/4/24 7:54Profile
mama27

Re:

I urge everyone to listen to this video recommended by StarofGod (Call to Wailing Women by Nancy Leigh DeMoss)

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/viewcat.php?cid=38

I am only on the 3rd part, but there are tears in my eyes as I watch. Not a nice "comfy" message for Easter, but then the message of Jeremiah wasn't very popular either...

Curious to look up that it was preached after Columbine which was in 1999.....imagine what could be said today! May the Lord raise up intercessors!

2011/4/24 13:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy