SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Slang rule question.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
iluvbrak

Arkansas

Slang rule question.

Quote:
-Avoid slang, including "phat," "LOL" or "BRB," "i c u," and so on. Slang shouldn't be a part of the Christian's vocabulary; the Bible's written in a very majestic language, but so many nowadays degrade themselves to "Yo, 'sup?" or "homie."

I'm not questioning the rule or anything, I'm just curious. The rule says "slang shouldn't be part of the Christian's vocabulary," and I am just curious why it is you believe that?

2004/11/28 2:23Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Slang rule question.

Guessing you meant "shouldn't".

Besides the reasons already mentioned above it's just plain laziness in my opinion and contributes to degrading language in general, something that is already in disarray with the constant re-defining of words that already had 'fixed' definitions in their historical content.

As Christians today, this has spilled over from the worlds ways and is a primary reason why there is so much unscriptual 'theology' bandied about.
What does 'being born again' mean now compared to what it meant when Jesus said those very words?
Many things to many people, but there can be only one true meaning even if there is more than one application.

Language is what we use to communicate. And as Greg stated in the original, the Bible is written in a majestic language and to quote Leonard Ravenhill; "it's not so simple to be a Christian after all. It's a majestic thing."

Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

May be going far astray from the original question but an example I heard the other day from the actor Alex Baldwin discussing his faith and I might add I don't think he even realizes how it sounds, but he ended it with something on the order of "doing it all for the big JC".

2004/11/28 9:17Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Yes there seems to be a seriousness and somberness of mind and spirit on this site and in the forums dicussions. I think to carefully word your posts is something that will very much contribute to these forums being a research tool and a great index to reference to on prior discussions rather then being a place for Christians to just chat not caring about the ramifications of words said.

I think there is something special to SermonIndex.net how the Lord has allowed the forums to be a very powerful tool and how He has persevered the discussions to a quality that doesn't take away from the site or detract from its purpose in most cases. Its not forbidden to use terms such as "hehe" or "lol" etc but overall we should try and express ourselves as fully as possible to get our points across with less confusion. Thanks for your understanding in these matters and I hope Mikes and my response sheds abit of light on why that rule is there.

2004/11/28 14:24Profile
shazbot

USA

Re:

Koine Greek was not a majestic language during the time of the writing of the New Testament.

However, I am mostly anti-slang myself, so I like that rule.

2004/12/8 21:51Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Good point. But the expression is majestic.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
Joh 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
Joh 1:7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
Joh 1:8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

2004/12/9 0:41Profile
Soulfilled

Southern Missouri

Re:

I know I am new here... and probably shouldn't say anything... but I had to agree about the Koine Greek... it was the street language of the time.... much like our slang language today.. and I suspect that Christ would speak the street language... not King James English...

In regard to the Greek it doesn't flow quite like was quoted here..and I do agree that is majestic but what it really says is:

In (the) beginning was the Word, and the Word was with - God, and God was the Word. This one was in (the) beginning with - God. all things through him became, and without him became not one thing which has become. In him life was, and the life was the light - of men; and the light in the darkness shines, and the darkness it not overtook.

That is the literal translation... when the translaters took that portion they then went to the King James and made it "flow"...

I am not advocating that we use the slang here... but I just wanted to say we need to be careful... Christ didn't speak in King James English... he spoke in the common language of the day. Otherwise, people would not understand him....

I hope no one takes offense... none is intended... I just think we sometimes get caught up in these issues and we forget to think about "timing"....

2004/12/14 19:47Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
-Avoid slang, including "phat," "LOL" or "BRB," "i c u," and so on. Slang shouldn't be a part of the Christian's vocabulary; the Bible's written in a very majestic language, but so many nowadays degrade themselves to "Yo, 'sup?" or "homie."

I think there needs to be clarification on this issue. I am not advocating that we should speak like people did in the 1700's but rather we should use language in the forums in full sentances and paragraphs explaining ourselves in the best manner possible. The text I have quoted above paticulairly refers to abbrevations and short cuts to longer sentances. I think its more appropriate to spell out our sentances rather then using short "Internet" talk which I usually use on the Instant Messengers. Its not a bad thing per-ce because I use it daily but the fact of the matter is if these forums are going to be of viable use for people to browse and refer to later for even research purposes then its essential that things are expressed in a manner that is readable by all.

On the point of expressing ourselves well with a good vocabulary is not NEEDED to participate on the site but myself I am saddened by the declension of the use of the english language by most in our day and I think we should try harder to expand our vocabulary. I just bought and 1828 websters dictionary and its amazing all the words there are to express our thoughts. I am trying to add words daily to my vocabulary to better myself as an individual.

2004/12/14 21:58Profile
MarKay

Limerick city,Ireland

Re:

Hi all.I actually was introducing a secular forum to
the truth of our Lord Jesus.But for part of the "debate" I was using internet or text language and one ot the posters stated to me "Don't try and educate people when you can't string a coherent sentance together".
So sermonindex is right.We need to explain ourselves
as best we can.I cleaned up my posts right away after that comment. :oops:

2004/12/14 22:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy