SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The wrath of God in Christ's hours of darkness

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
lylewise

Celina, Texas

The wrath of God in Christ's hours of darkness

Paul Washer presents the agony of Christ's cup in many of his sermons. However, he goes way beyond the typical torture and pain of the cross that most teach. What is typical of most preaching the crucifiction and the hours preceding it, is the emphasis on the extreme suffering of Christ through such horrendous tortures. It pleased the Father to crush His Son but Washer speaks primarily of that which occured in the hours of darkness. This supported by the reasoning that those Martyrs that proceeded Christ, bore as much if not more physical punishment than the Son of God in His hours of the cross. It was the hours of darkness and what they held that makes the cross what no one can grasp. The Wrath of the Almighty God in those hours that cloaked His Son also hold the greatest mystery of the wrath poured out upon the Son according to Washer. A great mystery. I love Paul Washer but what support might scripture offer of these hours spoken of.

I don't doubt the full bore that the Father brought down upon His Son. I would just like to hear more on the proofs of scripture that would support it. Many a year I listened to preachers speak of the physical pain of the cross and try to better the pain tolled out from the year before. Ever since having listened to Washer speak of this, I too have pondered with much greater wonder those hours of darkness.

I can't see in the omniprescence of God, the separation factor that some attribute this great suffering to, nor Christ becoming the sin itself so that He would become every vile rebel in sin vs the propitiation by imputation.

Any help would be appreciated.

2011/4/22 16:30Profile

Re: The wrath of God in Christ's hours of darkness

Many of the Psalms undoubtedly apply to Christ and some are foreshadows of the cross. Psalm 88 to me might be the one that most shows the wrath of God on Christ on the cross. I'd also especially look at Psalm 22 and Psalm 69. It's also notable that on the cross Jesus called prayed to "God" and not "his Father." "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46- which is from Psalm 22). I think of Leviticus 16:20 where the sins where the sins of Israel were put upon the scapegoat who took them a way into a land not inhabited. I see it by that that our sins were put upon Christ, but they never became a part of him. i.e. He never actually was a sinner, though he was judged as one (1 Peter 3:18). The day of atonement in Leviticus 16 is no doubt an important chapter regarding this. With the separation factor I think of Abraham about offer up Isaac; the father was there, but only to slay. Also Hebrews 2:9 and Psalm 75:8 go along with Christ's cup that he drank.

Psalm 88

1O lord God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:

2Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;

3For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.

4I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength:

5Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand.

6Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps.

7Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves. Selah.

8Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me; thou hast made me an abomination unto them: I am shut up, and I cannot come forth.

9Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee.

10Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah.

11Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction?

12Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?

13But unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee.

14LORD, why castest thou off my soul? why hidest thou thy face from me?

15I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer thy terrors I am distracted.

16Thy fierce wrath goeth over me; thy terrors have cut me off.

17They came round about me daily like water; they compassed me about together.

18Lover and friend hast thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness.

2011/4/22 17:09
HISslave

Vancouver, WA

lylewise

Lately I have been thinking about this very topic. Paul Washer is one of my favorite preachers and same as you I have been thinking about where in Scripture it talks about Gods wrath on Calvary.
One verse I think might show this is Isaiah 53:10 "Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief".
I am really interested in reading what other people will write, especially considering today is good Friday.

2011/4/22 17:33Profile

To growingone,

I'd never seen Psalm 88 in that light. Thank you for sharing it.

Quote:
It's also notable that on the cross Jesus called prayed to "God" and not "his Father." "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46- which is from Psalm 22).

I like Psalm 22 for its description of the spiritual battle which went on during Christ's time on the cross, followed by v 22 when He breaks through into praise.

He does, also, refer to His relationship with the Father earlier in that Psalm:

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, [saying], 8 He trusted on the LORD [that] he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him. 9 But thou [art] he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope [when I was] upon my mother's breasts. 10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou [art] my God from my mother's belly.

{He trusted...: Heb. He rolled himself on}
{seeing...: or, if he delight in}
{didst...: or, kept me in safety}

There are other quotes from the cross which do mention 'Father' by name:

Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

Luke 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

2011/4/22 18:14

HISslave,

I would include these earlier verses from Isaiah 53:4
Surely he hath borne our griefs,

and carried our sorrows:

yet we did esteem him stricken,

smitten of God,

and afflicted.

5 But he [was] wounded for our transgressions,

[he was] bruised for our iniquities:

the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him;

and with his stripes we are healed.

2011/4/22 18:24
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I think a good word for us to consider in this discussion is "propitiation" as seen in Romans 3:24-25 and Hebrews 2:17. The basic meaning is the appeasment or satisfaction of the wrath of God upon sinners. God poured out on His only begotten Son the wrath that was due for our sins.

We know that the eternal punishment for our sins is eternal damnation in hell. So logically it follows that somehow in those hours as He hung on that bloody cross Christ took upon Himself the suffering and damnation of hell that we deserve for our violations of God's Law.

We can get a very small idea of that by considering that He not only took the punishment for one sinner but for millions. The Father poured out on Him the full divine wrath that millions of sinners deserved. There is no way we can ever fully grasp the depth of what He suffered as He hung there on that tree for those hours.

2011/4/22 18:56Profile

Re:

One of my first Pastors helped me to see quite a bit of the agony in the Garden one Sunday when he said that the struggle of Jesus as He prayed was not out of fear of the cross - as He sweat as it were drops of blood, but that realization of taking on the sins of the world - past, present and future populations. I can't even express the impact that had on me. Unimaginable. Every sin, crime, atrocity ever commited or will be. It's very difficult to fathom that. Our minds can't even begin to go there. But He did.

2011/4/22 21:39
Giggles

Re:

Chief text: Gal 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us--for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree"—

Compare what being cursed means with Deut. 28:15-68. Washer also likes to look at Old Testament judgment prophecies against the nations as well as take the antithesis of verses describing blessing (such as the Beatitudes) to get an idea of what being cursed means.

Other texts:

Zec 13:7 "Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, against the man who stands next to me," declares the LORD of hosts. "Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered; I will turn my hand against the little ones.

Rom 8:32 He who did not spare his own Son.

2Co 5:21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

2011/4/22 21:57Profile

Re:

Alive-to-God,

Thanks for holding me accountable. I had not considered Luke 23:34. I had thought that Luke 23:46 was possibly when the penalty had already been paid, the darkness lifted, and all was left was for Jesus to die physically (since obviously his tasting spiritual death and physical death were not one and the same) based on John 19:28-30:

28After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

29Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

30When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Luke 23:46 being what Jesus said the very moment before he died physically. I question whether in Luke 23:34 our sins had yet been put upon Jesus, as it seems the entire three hours time of that was when the darkness was over the land is recorded solely in Luke 23:44. I'm also wondering if the veil being rent that's recorded in Luke 23:45 was the way Jesus knew all things had been accomplished in John 19:28 given above; and thus John 19:28-30 and Luke 23:46 happened in the very final moments of Jesus' physical life. Something to consider, do correct me if you see an inconsistency in that. Regardless, he bore the full penalty of our sin on the cross and is alive to save us to the uttermost! Praise the Lord!

2011/4/23 2:31

Re:

Giggles,

Many the Old Testament prophecies against nations do give a great picture of what Christ suffered on the cross. Lamentations is a book wholly concerned with the judgment and wrath of God poured out on a guilty Jerusalem. It's amazing that in Lamentations 3 that Jerusalem in torments is personified in a man. Jeremiah identifying with the anguish of Jerusalem is no doubt a picture of Christ's agony bearing our sins. It reminds a lot of Psalm 22.

1I AM the man that hath seen affliction by the rod of his wrath.

2He hath led me, and brought me into darkness, but not into light.

3Surely against me is he turned; he turneth his hand against me all the day.

4My flesh and my skin hath he made old; he hath broken my bones.

5He hath builded against me, and compassed me with gall and travail.

6He hath set me in dark places, as they that be dead of old.

7He hath hedged me about, that I cannot get out: he hath made my chain heavy.

8Also when I cry and shout, he shutteth out my prayer.

9He hath inclosed my ways with hewn stone, he hath made my paths crooked.

10He was unto me as a bear lying in wait, and as a lion in secret places.

11He hath turned aside my ways, and pulled me in pieces: he hath made me desolate.

12He hath bent his bow, and set me as a mark for the arrow.

13He hath caused the arrows of his quiver to enter into my reins.

14I was a derision to all my people; and their song all the day.

15He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath made me drunken with wormwood.

16He hath also broken my teeth with gravel stones, he hath covered me with ashes.

17And thou hast removed my soul far off from peace: I forgat prosperity.

18And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD:

19Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.

20My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.

2011/4/23 2:40

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy