Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Tozer - Christ Is Not Divided

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Madefree

Alabama

Tozer - Christ Is Not Divided

CHRIST IS NOT DIVIDED

Much of our full gospel literature and much of our preaching tend to perpetuate a misunderstanding of what the Bible says about obedience and Christian discipleship. I think the following is a fair statement of what I was taught in my early Christian experience and before I began to pray and study and anguish over the whole matter: "We are saved by accepting Christ as our Savior." "We are sanctified by accepting Christ as our Lord." "We may do the first without doing the second." What a tragedy that in our day we often hear the gospel appeal made in this way: "Come to Jesus! You do not have to obey anyone. You do not have to give up anything. Just come to Him and believe in Him as Savior!" The fact that we hear this everywhere does not make it right! To urge men and women to believe in a divided Christ is bad teaching-for no one can receive a half or a third or a quarter of the divine Person of Christ!

2011/4/22 10:54Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: Tozer - Christ Is Not Divided

Amen and amen. This post goes well with and compliments the recent thread on listening to Paul Washer. Thanks.

2011/4/22 10:58Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Brother, Did you read today's "Thoughts" by William McDonald?
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38627&forum=45

He's goes over Romans 9,10

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Thank you!

2011/4/22 11:01Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Hello Star-of-GOD, I am not sure if you asked me or the Madefree. I did read the article and thought it was not very complete or beneficial for today's audience. Many today use Romans 10:9-10 to support the sinner's prayer. They think repeating words and believing truth constitutes what that passage is referring to. But nothing can be further from the truth. The confession and belief referred to is a confession of the Lordship of Christ and a belief with all the heart in His finished work. Considering the whole council of God in Scripture it includes genuine repentance.

2011/4/22 13:11Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Hi Oracio, I was actually originally speaking to Madefree, I think we posted at the same time. :)

To get at William Mcdonald was saying, I think was a little difficult, but this is some of what I thought of it. I think he was making a distinction between the 2 verses. Verses 9 is necessary for justification, for initial salvation. Man has no faith, he is incapable of it. Unless it is given of Him of the Holy Spirit. So perhaps a person must confess first, They say 'I want this.' Though they have not the faith of His righteousness, for Him to carry them through unto not just justification but unto righteousness.

Like you were saying,

Quote:
The confession and belief referred to is a confession of the Lordship of Christ and a belief with all the heart in His finished work.

verse 9 says ' thou shalt be saved. '
verse 10 says, 'believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession'

verse 9 salvation
verse 10 righteousness

Quote from the article..
Quote:
In verse 9 Paul is emphasizing the incarnation and the resurrection, and he gives the historical order in which they occurred - the incarnation first and the resurrection thirty-three years later. In the next verse he puts believing before confessing. “For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” Here the order is that which takes place when we are born again. First, we trust the Savior and are justified. Then we go out to confess the salvation which we have already received.

Just some thoughts, I am still learning :)...

2011/4/22 14:38Profile
StarofG0D

United States

But back to what Tozer was saying..

Quote:
"We may do the first without doing the second."

We are incomplete without verse 10..unto righteousness...

We are PREDESTINED to become like Him 8:29

2011/4/22 14:49Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re:

Hey!

Actually I hadn't read it, but thanks for pointing it out to me, that was a tremenouds blessig.

"We are PREDESTINED to become like Him 8:29"

Amen!

2011/4/22 15:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy