Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : False Baptism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

False Baptism

Me and my wife are very new Christians. We where baptised a few weeks ago and ever since the baptism we have both felt off...

Like we are in some kind of darkness is the best way I can explain it. We have both had our doubts about the church we attend but we didn't wanna be judgemental. We are now desperate to find out what is going on. I noticed that the Christian Church is under attack, it seems, so maybe we got baptised under a falsely? Neither one of us can remember what he said as we got baptised, thats kind wierd. Any thoughts or prayers for our family are needed.

2011/4/21 11:42Profile
bobmcd510

Re: False Baptism

Hi Bryan/Ashley,

What exactly is wrong with the pastor/church? Feelings are notoriously unreliable, and you don't want to say 'our baptism was wrong' just because you both haven't 'felt' good since then. Satan has many tactics.

So what does this pastor/church teach that is unbiblical? Can you point out specific instances?

By the way, God looks at the heart - if you truly repented and committed your life to Him as you were baptized, don't worry about what the pastor was thinking or saying. I was baptized when I was 12, I didn't even remember what my pastor said until I found the home video a year ago and watched it!

Don't get under false condemnation, but rejoice in the Lord for your new life with your Savior. If you think you need to change churches because it's unbiblical - go ahead and do it but don't do it based on emotions only. Point out in scripture why this church is unbiblical.

Philippians 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!"

2011/4/21 12:07Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

Discipleship and Jesus are mentioned quite a bit, and thats always good to hear. There isn't really any teaching I have heard thats is unbiblical. I know that Rob Bell's books are read and liked. I read the first 40 pages of "Love Wins"... Rob Bell basically said that a Loving God wouldn't send a bunch of people to hell...,doesn't that make God and unjust God? There is only forgiveness if blood is shed and the only blood that can wash away sin in Jesus's blood.

I know feelings can't be trusted but my wife and myself feel like something is wrong. This past sunday she went to church and they showed a short film of our baptism on the screen and she started crying. I asked her why, she said she just wanted to go back to that day. I remember a few days later her mentioning how hard it was to pray and I noticed myself struggling. What a laughing stock I will be if satan is playing games with me head.

2011/4/21 13:35Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

I'm sorry Lovefirst, but I am having a little trouble understanding what the problem is? What are you expecting from baptism? You are baptised because you believe. Not a shallow belief, but a belief that instills in you a desire to be removed from whom you were and now identified with whom you are about (that being Christ). Imagine coming to the realization that you have been dunked in sewer water and rolled in filth. How badly would you desire to wash off that which is upon you? It is no different for one who desires baptism. They have been made clean in salvation by regeneration and now they are a new creature in Christ. They have been cleansed from sin but the world will still know them for the sewer like perfume that they wore and the external attire they adorned which was the filth of their sinful life and actions. So baptism affords them the opportunity to give testimony thru this action which is to confess that this was the stinch like perfume I wore and this was my covering of filth but now the Lord has changed me. I do this to testify of His work and the proof is I am no longer that vile selfish and prideful creature. There will be a desire also to tell those not attending the baptism. Those who missed this testimony. Oh one may transgress occassionally in their ongoing sanctification, but the love of sin has been replaced with the love for God. That love is the most precious thing to the believer above all things that the world can offer. God proves it in the believer and the believer desires to testify of it.

2011/4/21 15:10Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

Forgot to mention baptism is your identity not the preachers or the dunker who ever that might be. I was baptised at 16 but not saved until I was 47. Not to uncommon.

2011/4/21 15:14Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Hi,

If you are feeling this way I just strongly recommend you go to a strong conservative local church in your area and even get baptised again:

http://illbehonest.com/local-church

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermonssource.asp?zipsearch=true

2011/4/21 15:23Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

When I get home, my wife and I will diffently talk about this further and pray for guidance. I will be looking at the churchs in the surronding area.

2011/4/21 16:48Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

brother, if the leadership of that church is okay with Rob Bell's teaching I say run as fast as you can from that church and find a good one and get baptised again. I say that with all sincerity. I will be praying for you.

2011/4/21 16:59Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

Thank you so much Oracio. Prayers are what we need right now.

2011/4/21 17:05Profile
crusader

Australia:

Re:

Hi lovefirst

Quote:
If you are feeling this way I just strongly recommend you go to a strong conservative local church

i agree with the above advice from greg. When i first went to church i already had a relationship with Jesus but i didn't have much biblical reading knowledge. The preachers message didn't seem right to me and i continued my search until i found a church that helped me grow. It was Jesus guiding me on where he wanted me to go. as i look back at all the churches that jesus got me to leave, to this day they are legalistic and sleep with foreign doctrines that have nothing to do with Jesus. I recently started a post about false preachers which may help in your search for a church :)

2011/4/22 2:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy