SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Bible History question?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Bible History question?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which version was the first one to be in a book format that we know today? I know many of the books were written in manuscript form but which one decided a book was a good idea also the year it happened if you will. :)

Also I saw in Walmart they are selling the 1611 KJV for their Anniversary for $5 but I wouldn't recommend it because the print is tiny and the way they printed it is like how they did it when it was first printed making it very hard to read for the average, However if you are a fan of the KJV it might be something right up your alley if you have $5 to spare.

God Bless,
Matthew

2011/4/18 6:16Profile

Re: Bible History question?

Hi Matthew,

Book formats have changed. Are you interested in the first book that looks like one today, or, the first one that wasn't a manuscript, scroll, or pile of loose sheets?

edit: printing had everything to do with books as we know them now.

2011/4/18 8:24

Matt,

Dr. Kent Hovind talks about your question. This is a good concise history for anyone that does not know where their Bible came from.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGWQx5z6-Xs

A777

2011/4/18 8:27

You can also look inside David Daniell's book, 'Bible in English', which I found on the uk Amazon site here:

amazon.co.uk/Bible-English-D-Daniell/dp/0300099304/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303129799&sr=1-1

2011/4/18 8:33
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Thank you for your help! I am interested in the start of what we have today, Googling I found the Gutenburg was the earliest I could find at 1462-3 but I am uncertain if this was in our traditional book format we see today.

2011/4/18 8:35Profile

Re:

Not sure about "traditional" book format.

2011/4/18 8:39

Re:

I know there were many dedicated men of God who have handwritten the bible down through the ages, before the printing press. It would take years to complete.

2011/4/18 9:12

Hi Matthew,

While searching for something else, I came across a recommendation by philologos for a book called 'God's Secretaries - the Making of the King James Bible' by Adam Nicolson. It's available quite cheaply in paperback from amazon. I don't know how much history of translations (and formats) is in there, but you could pop over to biblebase.com and ask philologos. You may even find a more informative thread in his forums.

2011/4/19 8:53

Re:

Some food for thought here, also.

Are The New Versions Really New?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIXS5Ydbrsk

Catholic Church- Mother Of Corrupt Bible Versions 1/9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySheyYPB4Qo

A777

2011/4/19 9:50

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy