· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What about Domestic Violence?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bsmart

What about Domestic Violence?

I would like to know if a woman can remarry after her divorce. The show cause is domestic violence. The Lord made it perfectly clear to me I had to get out of this marriage, else I would not survive next time. I died twice during this marriage by the hands of this demon.I tried to make it work. Jesus brought me back.I have had guns and machetes directed at me. with a self esteem of zero.. Until with Jesus by my side who gave me strength, we told my husband to leave. Jesus had put me away, or kept me away from people to repent,to pray, to talk, to heal, to grow in His name. It has been a year. An I promised Jesus I would never interfere with His decisions for my life. He would direct me., and ONLY a man of God would enter my life with Jesus being first at all times. Also I must add this marriage of 8 years of abuse was never consumated. He could not have sex. It was impossible. He was on major drugs, and had post polio syndrome. He was able to get around in His wheelchair, and be active in everyday life. Thank you. God Bless, BethAnne

2011/4/6 22:00Profile

Re: What about Domestic Violence?

Hi BethAnne. Forgive me if I just ask three questions of you.

Why would you want to get married again?

How can a man in a wheel chair come after you?

Why did you marry him?

I truly hope you don't mind me asking such delicate questions. You've brought up a delicate topic around here.
I hate to see any marriage break up and my heart goes out to you both. I understand if your life is in danger, that a seperation is necessary - but not a divorse - unless he commited adutery and it sounds like he couldn't.
This is all very sad and I feel for you and him. He's a very lost soul and needs our prayers as well.
Will be praying for you both, in the meantime.

2011/4/6 23:48
Lysa

East TN (for the time being)

Quote:
Why would you want to get married again?

I cannot speak for BethAnne but why does anyone (men included) want to get married? It’s a blessing to find that person that we can walk through life with hand in hand with Christ!

BethAnne,

There are MANY differing opinions on remarriage here and mine is only one of them in a sea of opinions and all based upon the Bible!! (huge grin) I am going to be lambasted for this but I believe Christians can remarry. I realize I could be wrong on my interpretation of Scripture but you know what? I ultimately believe it’s better to marry than to burn.

If you do find a man of God to marry, be prepared for on onslaught of judgment. I am divorced but still single and I felt that onslaught many times myself. Many Christians are making divorce and remarriage THE SECOND UNFORGIVEABLE SIN even though the Bible only speaks of ONE unforgiveable sin. Yes the Bible tells us indeed not to sin but if we do, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous (1 John 2.1).

Now, do I recommend you run out and marry the first guy that comes along? Of course not! You said it yourself:

Quote:
An I promised Jesus I would never interfere with His decisions for my life. He would direct me., and ONLY a man of God would enter my life with Jesus being first at all times.

BethAnne, saying that is one thing, and please let me warn you that walking it out is another. But if you were married eight years without consummating your marriage then you have a pretty good idea already of what walking it out is!!!

I have a biblical sermon by Derek Prince on divorce and remarriage, I will be glad to email it to you if you click “Message” below and PM me your email address and then when I email you, you will have mine as well.

(edit) All of us can tell you all day what we believe but ultimately, you will have to search the Scriptures yourself and be convinced of them because you are the one who has to live with your decisions.(/edit)

God bless you BethAnne,
Lisa

Since He looked upon me, my heart is not my own. He hath run away to heaven with it. ~ Samuel Rutherford

2011/4/7 2:10Profile

Re:

Lisa, this confused me. Are we to "Search the Scriptures" or search "Derek Prince"?

I don't mind you or anyone else giving what they feel the Word of GOD says about any topic, but I think we do more harm here by always giving out a man's sermon or teaching for every question or topic that comes up.

I agree, we DO need to search the Scriptures and that's why I asked the questions that I asked. Since you quoted one of those questions but don't know why I ask that - yet.

Can you understand basically my point at trying to keep this - a very sensitive topic - with Scripture only and let your words stand here ---

Quote:
All of us can tell you all day what we believe but ultimately, you will have to search the Scriptures yourself and be convinced of them because you are the one who has to live with your decisions.

- with this, I agree, because we'll stand before Him with what we've done with His Word alone.

2011/4/7 3:20

Hi sister,

Quote:
The show cause is domestic violence.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'show cause', but I assume you mean this is the reason you sought divorce.

Paul wrote in Ephesians 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: 30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife [see] that she reverence [her] husband.

If your marriage was never consummated, then you did not become one flesh with your legal husband. Correctly, you have gone through a legal process to dissolve the legal connection.

Regarding remarriage, even if the full terms of your first marriage had been fulfilled, if you are legally divorced, as Jesus said in Matthew 19, with 'a bill of divorcement' (which you are), you are free to remarry according to the Old Covenant, and the law of the land.

For many reasons Christians whose marriage to a Christian has broken down, don't necessarily seek remarriage, because of what Paul said about merely separating with a view to reconciliation, in 1 Corinthians 7.

I agree with the other posters that you need to search the scriptures for yourself, and be convinced in your own mind.

Under Roman Catholic doctrine, there is no case for divorce. This means many things covered by Jesus teachings in the New Testament, and Moses' leadership in the Old Testament, are made null and void.

What the Pharisees asked Jesus in Matthew 19, enabled Jesus to address directly the issues which arise from Roman Catholic doctrine today (forbidding divorce).

In Judaism, the opposite had developed - a custom which allowed a husband to get rid of his wife on flimsy reasons, SO THAT HE COULD TAKE ANOTHER. Jesus called this adultery of the heart and challenged them on it.

However, at the same time, Jesus gave the innocent party against whom adultery had been committed by a real sexual liaison, the freedom to divorce the adulterer, AND REMARRY. (Note: in New Testament Greek, 'fornication' means every possible kind of sexual liaison. Therefore, they can occur even within a marriage, and are sufficient cause for divorce to be sought by one party.)

Most of this doesn't apply to you, and it may take more than a year for you to recover from the abuse you experienced, to become healthy emotionally, and able judge sufficiently soundly, to go forward with confidence into another relationship with marriage in mind. Having said that, a good man of God would be a tremendous blessing, and the years for childbearing are going by all this time.

May the Lord comfort you and lead you. I would add that you don't have to do anything you don't want to, least of all get into a relationship with another manipulative personality.

Seek the Lord. Wait on His timing, and keep growing.

(edited for clarity)

2011/4/7 7:05
Lysa

East TN (for the time being)

Re: JiG

Quote:
Jesus-is-GOD
Lisa, this confused me. Are we to "Search the Scriptures" or search "Derek Prince"?

Sister, you know we are to search the Scriptures but in my defense of offering a Derek Prince sermon that you may not have heard; it is very Biblical and scripturally sound.

Quote:
Jesus-is-GOD
I don't mind you or anyone else giving what they feel the Word of GOD says about any topic, but I think we do more harm here by always giving out a man's sermon or teaching for every question or topic that comes up.

I am not offering him up willy nilly, as explained above. I mean this in all love sister, but I am not backing down from offering her a very Godly and mature sermon that may help her make such a sensitive decision.

Quote:
Jesus-is-GOD
Since you quoted one of those questions but don't know why I ask that - yet.

Yet? This confuses me, I thought you asked a straight-forward question, do you mean you weren’t being straight-forward?

Quote:
Jesus-is-GOD
Can you understand basically my point at trying to keep this - a very sensitive topic - with Scripture only and let your words stand here ---

I do understand but my sister in the Lord, I say this in love (and with a soft voice) but this is not your thread to control; unless you are bsmart.

Again, this scripturally based sermon has helped me and it may help her. If you PM me your email address, I can send it to you too. We were starting to get along so well, my heart’s desire is that this little hiccup will not hinder that.

God bless you,
Sister Lisa

Since He looked upon me, my heart is not my own. He hath run away to heaven with it. ~ Samuel Rutherford

2011/4/7 7:10Profile

Re:

One thing I surely can't be accused of with my online history, is a lack "straight forwardness". :)

It does concern me, from the very many threads that we've had and have here, when someone asks for opinions, counsel and the such, that up to 10 different sermons/teachings are posted to them until their heads begin to spin. I'm sure most of us have witnessed this or have experienced it firsthand.

My questions to this sister are based upon past experiences of when the topic of remarriage has come up on the forum - how heated it can get, and from my own personal experience.
You questioned my question first, and all I can say about my questions is that there is a part in our "why" we want to do things or desire them that can affect our decisions and either gear them toward GOD's personal and perfect will for our lives or away from hearing that perfect Word from Him.

I'll have to leave my answer to you with that and pray this sister finds perfect Peace with GOD and His Word, by His Spirit alone.

We can all just pray for her protection. Amen.

2011/4/7 13:17
cryinthenite

Re:

What God has joind together let no man put asunder, Matt 19:6.Your spirit wont rest till you face this simple word.I know it sounds mean but I would rather you be at peace with Jesus and single than remarried and out of fellowship with your Lord.I am so sorry you are going through this.

2011/4/8 22:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

This story sound fishy to me... are you baiting people here to get a controversy going?

For the record, and assuming it is a legit question, I will post this verse from Romans 1:31: "Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." Covenant breaking is a sin. You do not do it and then come back and ask God to forgive...

There is something not right about this story... this story evokes too many questions, and it is not appropriate to discuss on a forum such as this.

“If you wish to know God, you must know His Word. If you wish to perceive His power, you must see how He works by His Word. If you wish to know His purpose before it comes to pass, you can only discover it by His Word.” (Charles Spurgeon)

2011/4/8 23:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

However, if you want to know whether it is right for you to remarry, all you have to do is go to e-Sword and search for the terms "put away" and see what you will find. Scripture is the final authority. It is not hard to find someone who will say what you want to hear, hence the directive to check out the WORD.

And do not forget eternity is forever and what you do now will impact your destination. Whether it be remarrying, lying, cheating, anger, being srifeful....Unrepented sin will bar a body from heaven.

“If you wish to know God, you must know His Word. If you wish to perceive His power, you must see how He works by His Word. If you wish to know His purpose before it comes to pass, you can only discover it by His Word.” (Charles Spurgeon)

2011/4/8 23:27Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy