SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Jesus Christ, Our Great High Priest by Bob Hoekstra

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Jesus Christ, Our Great High Priest by Bob Hoekstra

Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:14-16)
Jesus as our High Priest is one of the magnificent truths that matures us in the faith and draws us more intimately to Him. When we see the greatness of Jesus in this role, our steadfastness is strengthened. "Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession." Jesus was completely successful in His mission of redemption. He came and died as the sacrifice for our sins. He rose victorious over sin and death.. He ascended to heaven, seated in authority at the right hand of the Father. Knowing this, we have great cause to remain steadfast in our confession of hope in Him.

Furthermore, our great High Priest is able to understand our needs and express compassion toward our frailties. "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses." The enemy of our souls threw all of his tempting devices at Jesus. Our Lord faced what we face (and more), so He understands our battles in a very personal manner. Another matter of even greater significance is that He never yielded to the tempter's attacks: "yet without sin." Thus, He not only understands our plight, but He can also provide us victory.

We are hereby given reason to approach God through our great High Priest. We can come without hesitation or apprehension to find the help we need. "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Our God rules this universe from a throne characterized by grace. This grace can only be properly known by those who live under His new covenant of grace. This grace is sufficient to justify and to sanctify all who humbly trust in the Lord. The grace offered here is not for initial salvation. Rather, it is for rescuing the redeemed when they humbly acknowledge their inadequacy. We are invited to draw near, approach our God in an intimate fashion, and partake of His fullness in light of our emptiness.

Dear Jesus, my great High Priest, I extol You for Your greatness. You are great in understanding, compassion, victory, and grace. Lord, I have so many great needs in my life. So I draw near to You, anticipating that Your grace is fully sufficient to meet my lack, Amen.

2011/4/5 10:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy