SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian retreat

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Christian retreat

Has anyone ever been on a christian retreat by themselvs or with their spouse?

My wife and I are thinking about doing a weekend retreat and along the way and dabbling with it I came across something rather astounding and really a bit, shameful?

We looked at a catholic retreat and an interdenominational. What I found astounding was this. In the catholic retreat, which is really a monestary next to a college, there is NO RADIO OR TV OR TELEPHONE. Another words it forces you to get away from life in general and to do hard reflect in heart. There is no fun and games type of stuff.

Contrast this with another retreat that was interdenominational and it was quite the opposite. So I sat back and thought to myself, does this interdenominational retreat have it all wrong is it a matter of choice? It seemed to me that a retreat would be more of a atmosphere of the catholic one.

Any comments?

2011/4/3 10:34Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Christian retreat

All the retreats I have ever been on (weather private or more public) highly recommend leaving all technology out of it. So even though I would not call them "catholic" they line up with the former example and not the latter. It really probably depends on who is putting it on.

2011/4/3 11:02Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I have never been on a retreat. Only a few conferences. I thought it odd that a protestant restreat would have the technology whereas a catholic one gets away from it. It makes me think that a person defeats the purpose of a retreat by allowing those things to be there.

2011/4/3 15:24Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

I have been on many retreats myself. And I love the time away with the Lord, teachings, worship and fellowship. I have always come away refreshed and filled up.

All in the great outdoors. None were Catholic and none had technology. All glory to God. I guess there are all sorts to choose from. Ask the Lord He will guide you to the one that fits your need and desire.

2011/4/3 17:39Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

I want to encourage you to consider another option: we can have a "retreat" anytime and anywhere we make time to be alone with the Lord. A hotel room near some hiking paths, a tent by the lake, the ideas are endless. We can explore a specific scripture topic, or take time to bring a perplexing situation before God. We can fast or enjoy the wonderful food this earth produces. We can go alone or with our spouse or friend, perhaps with the pastor or another couple. Again, just an idea, not saying that organized retreats are no good, but there are alternatives if what is offered is not quite right.

2011/4/3 21:49Profile

I have many times considered going to a retreat near here. It's catholic as well and it's a quiet place next to the water. It wouldn't bother me in the least if I went to this retreat, it's a matter of your conscience and the Spirit of God. However, there are many other places of retreat. Like renting a cabin near the woods. That too is an option. Most times though, my retreats have been earnest praying, the kind that you dig in your heels and won't let go.

2011/4/3 22:06

Re: DEADn

Brother seems like the Catholic retreat center is the better option. Might take a cell for emergency. But keep it off. Recommend read Walton essay on solitude.

2011/4/11 23:50
Lysa

East TN for now!

I went to a monastery two or three years ago (out in the sticks of Kentucky). I talk to Jesus all the time but this place had signs everywhere, “No Talking,” even in your room. There were quiet talking zones down in the woods and on one of the outside porches. Even if you went with someone, you were encouraged to NOT talk to them during dinner, in the hallways and in your rooms be careful not to get carried away because the sound carried into the hallways.

Their rooms are free (or an offering) for 3 nights or four nights with food. I did not stay my allotted time and I can freely admit it, it was because of the CRUSH of quietness!! I’ve never experienced anything like it. And then in the elevator going to my room one night, I saw a new sign that said, “We realize your excitement to be here but please clap in time and sing quietly in tune.” You could feel the frustration coming from the words!!

The Abbey of Gethsemani
http://www.monks.org/retreats.html

It’s east of Elizabethtown, Kentucky. And you must call four months in advance to reserve your space, unless you want to go on a holiday; I called two or three months ahead and got the fourth of July weekend.

People are looking for quiet and this place being booked solid year round is proof of it. But with both my sons having moved out, I have quietness at home now so I really don’t need to pack up in order to go somewhere else that’s quiet!! But if you do, this is a good place, check out the link. Also, they have double or single rooms and men or women only days.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/4/12 8:02Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Lysa that place would drive me bananas! I play instruments and have music going a great portion of the day lol I guess I would be a noise junky if there is such an animal. It might be good to sit in silence but for 3 to 4 days? MAYBE 3 to 4 hours!

The only time I sit quietly is during my bible studies and prayer and at times I enjoy having music going then.

I have been thinking about going on a small retreat myself, but being constrained by time and money my retreat seems to be my office or hanging out with my kiddos, or even doing laundry or the dishes. You'd be surprised how much praying you can do while washing dishes.

2011/4/12 8:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy