SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Praising Jesus for that 39 page KJV thread

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Incidently they doing a reading through the KJB over Easter at Shakespeares Globe theatre in London. I'm going three performances, very exciting!

2011/4/3 16:51

Re: Praising Jesus for that 39 page KJV thread

Hi andie,

Just to comment on your trips to the Globe, please share afterwards what they were like.

I remember vividly the first time I heard someone read out a chapter and a half of scripture, and KNEW without any doubt at all, that they read with complete understanding - so much so that I now understood the passage too. I was awestruck! And set out to try to gain that kind of grasp of scripture reading. (Not as easy as it sounds.)

There is a big difference, I believe, between some readings of scripture and others, solely down to the person reading knowing the Lord, and this is different from a sympathetic acting-out the narrative with other competent actors (but who don't know Him).

2011/4/3 17:46

Quote:
Ok I understand what you mean now. You can used as a plural in KJB, whereas we use it now as a singular and plural address.

Amen.
Quote:
I still don't see how you have jumped from Ye referring to more than one person, to it meaning the entire church throughout history.

I, too, see what you mean.

I don't think a777 or W_S or me are saying it ALWAYS applies to EVERYONE in the Church throughout ALL history, but, what happened to W_S and why she started this thread, is that as she read that portion, she became vitally connected to the scenario described because of the enlivening (quickening) brought to it by the (eternally 'now') Holy Spirit in her, in her life today, in the twenty-first century AD.

'I [W_S] said to my husband how empowering that would be to hear should one be imprisoned for the Word. Then I noticed it said 'ye!' Praise Jesus, he was speaking to me and you.

The time is coming, get ready. . . Store your treasures in Heaven not on earth.'

2011/4/3 17:55

Re:

Quote:
Anonymous777 I believe that the holy spirit is addressing the entire church down through the ages when ye is used

Quote:
Alive-to-God. I don't think a777 or W-S or me are saying it ALWAYS applies to EVERYONE in the church throughout ALL history

I guess we will have to await anonymous777's explanation.

2011/4/3 19:10

Re:

Quote:

Of course, it depends on what is being said.

Gen 4:23 And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.

:-)

2011/4/3 21:27

Re:

Well I really don't think there is anything else to say. You have offered nothing in this thread to back up your claim that the change of the 'ye' to the modern you in current versions alters the meaning, in the passage Whitestone posted.

All I can gather from our discussion is that you believe that "ye" refers to the whole church (except when you decide it doesn't)?

2011/4/3 22:00

Quote:

Hi andie,

The best way I've heard this phenomenon explained, is to think of the word of God - especially the way it sometimes comes from another person, or when praying for direction or help or through prophecy (charismatic gift of), including the written word - as a box of matches.

They are all there ready to use, but they aren't all relevant all of the time. Sometimes you have the word before you need it, and sometimes you have to go looking for it, but not until you NEED it, do you put the word together with the situation at hand, and realise what that word (match) was for. That's when you strike it - or rather, when it strikes you, with extra PERSONAL insight from God.

Is this clearer?

2011/4/3 22:10

Re:

Ye refers to the whole church, when it refers to the whole church.

I like AtG's explanation. Don't You?

2011/4/3 22:50

Re:

ATG, you are confusing the issues. I am not doubting the holy spirits work illuminating the scriptures.

Anyway I REALLY have to opt out now, we are going around in circles and I have stuff to do.

2011/4/3 23:00

Quote:
ATG, you are confusing the issues. I am not doubting the holy spirits work illuminating the scriptures.

Ah! I think I may finally have understood your original comments about the historical aspects as opposed to the church worldwide aspects.

For instance, a777 quoted the verse which Lamech is speaking, somewhat facetiously (no offence, bro!) but there is a genuine point there, in that those are the words of a man.

However, God's word to Abraham for succeeding generations to be circumcised, is now 'history'. Since then - since the New Covenant and Pentecost - circumcision of the foreskin has been replaced by circumcision of the foreskin OF THE HEART - a spiritual event. NOW, the 'ye' in Gen 17:10 does NOT apply to the whole Church today.

The New Testament, though, can be relevant to a saint today.

For instance, although the simple narrative of Acts is only a record of the missionary expeditions made by certain early apostles, it is packed with spiritual and practical insight as to how a Christian should expect to walk in the Spirit, and what that may mean in practical terms - for instance of the physical and psychological difficulties which God may allow.

I looked back to your original post, where you said:
Quote:
What I have said is that she [W_S] has not put the "Ye" into context. In context it means "the Smyrna church" not "the worldwide church throughout history".

Whereas, I would say there is both an historical and a 'worldwide church throughout history' application emanating from the New Testament, including the foreshadowing of the New, in the Old, of which circumcision is a great example.

Deuteronomy 10:16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.

Romans 2:25 For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision. 26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? 27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law? 28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the spirit, [and] not in the letter; whose praise [is] not of men, but of God.

2011/4/4 6:31

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy