SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : I learn nothing from reading the Book of Revelation of John.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ArtB

New York

I learn nothing from reading the Book of Revelation of John.

I was just going through the 29 page thread on understanding the Post Tribulation view.

Having studied the Book of Revelation for decades, I must confess I have not learned anything from reading that book, nor can I tell anyone what it all means, and even worse, I can not tell anyone what any of it means. It is far different than John's Gospel and his letters, which are very clear, very rich in historical fact, and is very understandable.

I once adhered to Hal Lindsey's view that the 7 Churches stood for 7 ages of Church History. Well, maybe yes and maybe no. But at least some reasonable argument can be made for this view.

I checked out the origin of the Book Of Revelation, it does appear to have been written in the late 1st Century AD. However, there was much controversy within Christendom about the validity of that book. Many Christians assemblies did not recognize 'Revelations' as scriptural, many others did.

When the New testament was assembled in the 4th century AD, a Council of Christians, those present felt that one of the Apocalyptic Books ought to be included in what would be the official New Testament. They had it narrowed down to the Apocalypse of John and the Apocalypse of Peter. The Apocalypse of John won out over the Apocalypse of Peter by two votes.

I read the Apocalypse of Peter, so I realize why it was a very tough choice if you had to choose one of these two prophecy books. Neither book stands up to the specific details and predictions of the Prophecies of the Old Testament.

Perhaps after the prophecies are fulfilled will it make sense. Till then, it contributes nothing to my relationship and walk with God. Certainly not worth arguing about.

As for pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, and post tribulation views, I've come to the conclusion that all three views are correct. It's according to your faith, what you believe. Pre-tribbers will be raptured before the Great Tribulation, Those who hold to the Mid-trib view will be raptured in the middle of the Great Tribulation, and those lucky ten or twenty people who are still alive at the end of the Great Tribulation will be raptured at that time. By coincidence, I just happen to be pre-Trib. :) :) :)

If anything you read in 'Revelations' that has helped you with your walk with God, promoted your unity with fellow Christians, or enhanced your growth as a Christian: from reading the The Book of Revelation, please share and post on this thread.

I'm not claiming it ought not be in the Bible, I just do not read it anymore unless requested by someone.

2011/3/30 12:06Profile
learjet

Re: I learn nothing from reading the Book of Revelation of John.

Quote:
If anything you read in 'Revelations' that has helped you with your walk with God, promoted your unity with fellow Christians, or enhanced your growth as a Christian: from reading the The Book of Revelation, please share and post on this thread.

I hear what you are saying brother.

If my kids don't understand what I am saying when I tell them to 'go pickup the yard' or 'take out the trash' they usually come to me and I happily tell them what I meant.

This too is how our Heavenly Father responds to our request for revelation on a matter. Just ask Him, He'll help you out . :-)

Here's some good teaching on Revelation from Zac Poonen:

http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/through_the_bible.php

Like you, I've studied a bunch of mans interpretations of the book, many of them don't make sense to anyone but the teacher.

Zac has very good teaching on the book, some of which I have never heard before.

Peace,
EJ Lear

2011/3/30 12:14Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

Thanks for sharing that Learjet, I'll check out that URL soon.

2011/3/30 13:41Profile

Re:

Hi Brother Art. For the first 9 yrs that I was saved, I didn't even bother to try to get into the Revelation as well.

I think it was GOD's timing, that He had to wait until I was fully emptied of my own opinion on things and get rid of what I had been taught about it from books and teachers, etc.

He had to get me to the point where my mind had nothing in it at all regarding eschatology before He allowed me to even open that book with any intention to understand what it was saying.
Exactly - totally emptied of all pre-conceived thoughts whatsoever and then, excuse this expression, but then POW - that book opened up as if someone had removed a veil and with just a Strong's concordance opened with the Bible, He alone took me through-out the entire Word, from O.T. and New, cross-referencing every verse and by time I was done - in just one day - I had hand written every single passage in the entire bible pertaining to the last days and just sat there dumb struck at what I had read and had written of His Word alone. Not one passage contradicted the others in any way, shape or form and literally - all I could do is just sit there and look at what GOD had wrought. No thoughts of my own in the least. Truly a miracle of miracles, because I never had the best memory on earth for chpt or vs #s, but just this one book became a part of me. I knew the chpt # for any event that a person would bring up besides such a peace and overwhelming Joy of what HE had written and it's clarity - as I felt - written for a child to understand because I've always had a child-like mind.

Well, that's my testimony. This happened around '84-85 and I wouldn't trade the memory of that one day for all the wealth and riches of this world or anything else on this earth. Only He can do that by His Spirit of prophecy and to His Own Glory - because He wrote that Book and is jealous - very-very jealous over it's contents. Bless The LORD of Glory! There's more in His Word about His Second Advent than about His First. Oh, What a Day that will be, when our Jesus we shall SEE - Alleluia, Alleluia, Amen.

His Blessings to you!

2011/3/30 13:58
ArtB

New York

Re:

Yes, I too look forward to Jesus return.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful testimony.

Thanks for the URL

2011/3/30 14:05Profile
Know-Him

David Pawson has 10 lectures on the Book of Revelation here on Sermon Index. They have helped me more than any other resource to get a handle on and provoke my thinking regarding this book. Hope this may be of interest to someone. They are well worth a listen to.

2011/3/30 15:00Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi ArtB...

I know that there are plenty of teachings out there on the Book of Revelation. My wife very much enjoyed Skip Heitzig's linear approach to the book.

http://www.connectionradio.org/teachinglibrary.asp?b=66%20Revelation

While it may not be as "in depth" as some other teachings on the book, it does offer a good survey of it and he covers the various views about eschatology.

2011/3/30 15:25Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

I listened to both of Zac Poonen's teaching on revelations. EXCELLENT!

On another note, I cant find the post but someone commented on credible people in our day. I one love the ones gone before us the best but the Lord is raising up Saints today to proclaim the True Gospel and I praise God for them.

2011/3/30 19:21Profile
staff

Hi Art,
One important verse which makes this book outstanding is the first verse.This is the revelation of Jesus Christ which God gave him and he then gave it to us through John.This book comes straight from the throne room of God.

1 The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John

The verse below shows the importance Jesus Christ thinks of this book doesnt it.So maybe its worth another try!!

7 "Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book." 8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. 9 But he said to me, "Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers the prophets and of all who keep the words of this book. Worship God!" 10 Then he told me, "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, because the time is near. 11 Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy." 12 "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. 14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood. 16 "I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star." 17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life. 18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. 20 He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. 21 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people.
In the book of acts they proposed two men to take over as apostle and then God decided.Joseph called barsabbas didnt become an appostle and Peters appocalypse didnt become canon.
." 23 So they proposed two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, "Lord, you know everyone's heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs." 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

(When the New testament was assembled in the 4th century AD, a Council of Christians, those present felt that one of the Apocalyptic Books ought to be included in what would be the official New Testament. They had it narrowed down to the Apocalypse of John and the Apocalypse of Peter. The Apocalypse of John won out over the Apocalypse of Peter by two votes. )

yours staff

2011/3/30 19:52Profile

Hi brother,

Quote:

I think I've understood that the Revelation was given by the same person as Daniel had encountered also in a vision, and Abram.

Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, 11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send [it] unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. 12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; 13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks [one] like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. 14 His head and [his] hairs [were] white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes [were] as a flame of fire; 15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. 16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance [was] as the sun shineth in his strength. 17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I [am] he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Daniel 10:5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins [were] girded with fine gold of Uphaz: {a...: Heb. one man} 6 His body also [was] like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude. 7 And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves. 8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength. 9 Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.

Genesis 15: And he said unto him, I [am] the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it. 8 And he said, Lord GOD, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it? 9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon. 10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not. 11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away. 12 And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him. 13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land [that is] not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; 14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance. 15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age. 16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites [is] not yet full. 17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces. {a burning...: Heb. a lamp of fire} 18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:..'

2011/3/30 19:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy