SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The Pilgrim Church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

The Pilgrim Church

I just finished reading the Book The Pilgrim Church by E.H. Broadbent. It was written with the intent to tract down those that were faithful to the New Testament pattern of Church sperate from the Roman Catholic church and beyond. I grealy enjoyed reading this book and it has opened my eyes to many of the things our modern churches do that just aren't biblical in nature but are more or less "traditions of men"

Something that I noticed from many of the stories was something that was quite sad, MANY MANY of the men in the book returned to the Lord and brought great truth for a season but eventually they would be killed by persecutioni and their following would misunderstand and idolize and distort the original intent of the founder OR the man himself would go overboard and go from being the persecuted to the persecutor. I found this facit of history very interesting.

I will conclude with some of my favorite quotes found in the book to hopefully encourage you to get yourself a copy I got my copy off of Amazon for 17.00 plus shipping and handling which was a steal considering the length and information found in the book. Broadbent went into great detail and did TONS of research making it His life's work to follow the Pilgrim Church.

"When the Church came into contact with the Roman Empire, a conflict ensued in which all the resources of that mighty power were exhausted in a vain endeavor to vanquish those who never resisted or retaliated, but bore all for Love of the Lord in whose footsteps they were following" page 40

Reference the Pope "It is only our sins that stand in the way of our salvation. If the great priest remits all these, what shall the poor Lord Jesus do?" page 148

"On June 21, 1621, in the Great Square in Prague on one side of which the Tyn Church, and on the other the Council House, twenty-seven Protestant noblemen, including Wenzel of Budowa, were publicly beheaded. Each was offered his life on condition of accepting the Roman Catholic faith, and each refused it." Page 154

1624-1691 Reference George Fox "One day, approaching Coventry, he was thinking of how it is said that all Christians are believers, whether Protestants or Paptists. "But" he considered, "a believer is one that is born again, has passed from death unto life, otherwise he is no believer"; so he saw that many who call themselves Christians or believers are not so" page 261

Reference Great men of faith of their time "The training and experience of such men are especially valuable when once they are freed from the fetters which hinder the obedience of Faith" Page 401

These are only a few of the quotes I highlighted throughout the book, the Testimony of Christ Jesus and his people are recorded greatly in this book and have been an encouragement to me. I HIGHLY Recommend The Pilgrim Church for anyone interested in Church History.

2011/3/29 6:21Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: The Pilgrim Church

Quote:

I just finished reading the Book The Pilgrim Church by E.H. Broadbent. It was written with the intent to tract down those that were faithful to the New Testament pattern of Church sperate from the Roman Catholic church and beyond. I grealy enjoyed reading this book and it has opened my eyes to many of the things our modern churches do that just aren't biblical in nature but are more or less "traditions of men"

It is a tremendous book that shares God's Ekklesia throughout history! A must read by all.

2011/3/29 8:41Profile

Hi Matthew,

This book is a great read. One of the things I took from it and saw quite clearly, that down through the ages, the " established church," persecuted the minority or the remnant. Typically they would use the argument of " authority," to persecute them......brother Frank

2011/3/29 9:38
noone

United States

Re:

Thats what I found amazing as well appolus.

How many of them died longing for truth and not to have to be apart of the established, traditions of men. They longed for the pure, simple fellowship and the Truth!

I found a quote by Luther rather interesting where he says and I am paraphrasing.....that he knew his denomination is not the best, that it is not entering that "holy place" but merely residing in the outer courts. But yet he went on with it and it ended up not changing to many of their "traditions" from the RCC.

Why do men cling so hard to traditions and being apart of the systems of men? When others in the past were willing to die rather than be apart of them.

I am learning that we often settle for something that is good (the outer court) and never getting to the best (the holy place).

I will not settle this is what I am learning about myself!

2011/3/29 10:20Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

Yes, what a tremendous book indeed. The book in its entirety can be read at this website:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks10/1000351h.html

2011/3/29 10:22Profile

Re:

"I am learning that we often settle for something that is good (the outer court) and never getting to the best (the holy place).

I will not settle this is what I am learning about myself!"

Amen!!!

The outer court, the court of the gentiles was a court that one could dwell in without sacrifice. To enter the Holy of Holies one has to humble himself and approach the brazen alter..........brother Frank

2011/3/29 17:57

Re:

I think it is interesting that we are in a "Dark Age" now and heading deeper into it. There were in existence many Christians during the different periods that make up the Dark Ages. Many separate and independent churches existed during the various periods of the "Dark Ages". Some, even dated back to the times of the Apostles. None of these churches were in any way connected to the Catholic Church.

Every time they were confronted with Catholic doctrine they completely rejected it. Their repudiation of it was always strong. This is supported by credible church history.

The Dark Ages actually lasted about 12 centuries (from about the 400+ AD) and the persecution was relentless.

The persecution was so bitter, it is almost difficult to talk about. (Martyrs Mirror is also a great book).

History is revised so much and books are burned, yet it is still a well known fact that about fifty million of these Christians died martyr deaths.

It is also interesing that their enemies always named them. It was a way of identifying them and at the same time marginalizing them in the eyes of the public. They would be given some label that was meant to be a denigration of them. They were never referred to as Christian. They would oftentimes call them by the name of one of their prominent "leaders" or a peculiar practice of theirs, such as rebaptizing (Anabaptists). Today, these names are not a denigration to us, but rather the opposite. Names of brave, courageous, people, faithful unto death. Albigenses, Waldenses, Anabaptists, etc.

1200 years! That is a long time for relentless persecution. My mind is too finite to imagine that the days ahead will be great tribulation, such as the world has never seen. We have a great cloud of witnesses.

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Rev 19:13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

Rev 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

2011/3/29 18:39

Quote:
1200 years! That is a long time for relentless persecution. My mind is too finite to imagine that the days ahead will be great tribulation, such as the world has never seen. We have a great cloud of witnesses.

I believe there was relentless persecution right from the beginning.

It was also slightly incriminating, I think, for the Catholic chaplain of a Scottish university to say on live radio, shortly after the turn of the 2000s, that the twentieth century had seen more Christians die for their faith than any preceding generation. (He had a number in tens of thousands, but I can't remember what it was.) It was said with such authority, that the stat seemed to have come from a higher source - where someone with an overview is able to determine a final sum.

2011/3/31 7:48

I remember reading that book years ago and so opened my eyes to the nature of the true church. One can see the reality of the pilgrim church livedout in persecuted countries today.

2011/4/2 0:36

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy