Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : KJV Bible Dictionary

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 KJV Bible Dictionary

I am trying to search down a really good KJV bible dictionary that covers alot of those hard to understand words in KJV .. are there any good old ones?

any help would be appreciated, I will do a few searches and post my findings here also.

2004/11/21 22:05Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re: KJV Bible Dictionary

Here is something intresting I found:

This online dictionary of King James Version words contains over 6,000 definitions. This dictionary is derived from Noah Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language, a dictionary published in 1828 which frequently uses Bible verses in the definitions.

This is an abridgment of the Webster's 1828. It was created by comparing each word from the Webster's 1828 to a list of words from the King James Bible. If a word from the Webster's 1828 appeared in the KJV, it was included in this online text. Additionally, words referenced in definitions were also included to be as complete as possible, but without including all 60,000+ definitions from the unabridged dictionary.

http://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/kjv-dictionary-index.html

---

Perhaps I should look into getting an "unabridged Webster's 1828 dictionary"

2004/11/21 22:50Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

60,000 words, ah that should only take you a couple of hours..

See that it's included in Sword Searcher, would be cool to have it in a module for Esword.

2004/11/22 0:30Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

The KJV Dictionary on Study Light might be what you are looking for. Just enter your word in the search box.

E-sword does have a King James Dictionary

2004/11/22 3:15Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Perhaps I should look into getting an "unabridged Webster's 1828 dictionary"

Mike, Ron and others do you think getting an "unabridged Webster's 1828 dictionary" is a good way to go, I would rather have a dictionary I can handle with my hands, yes I am not always on the internet :-P

2004/11/22 9:49Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Mike, Ron and others do you think getting an "unabridged Webster's 1828 dictionary" is a good way to go, I would rather have a dictionary I can handle with my hands, yes I am not always on the internet.

The Websters, though an American standard, is only known over here by its reputation. I understand your enjoyment of a book in the hand; I share it.

I think from now on my image of a well balanced character will be someone with an unabridged Websters in one hand and the Companion Bible in the other. ;-)

2004/11/22 10:49Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The Websters, though an American standard, is only known over here by its reputation. I understand your enjoyment of a book in the hand; I share it.

Here is a nice facimile version available:
[url=http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=9803X&netp_id=161056&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW]Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language, Facsimile 1828 Edition[/url]

Retail Price: $65.00
CBD Price: $54.99
You Save $10.01 (15%)

CBD Stock Number: WW9803X
Availability: In Stock

Description: Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language was produced during the years when the American home, church and school were established upon a Biblical and patriotic basis. Webster made important contributions to an American educational system which kept the nation on a Christian Constitutional course for many years.
It is not surprising, therefore, that the 1828 American Dictionary should contain the greatest number of Biblical definitions given in any reference volume. Webster considered "education useless without the Bible" and while he cautioned against too extensive use of the Bible in schools as "tending to irreverance," he reiterated, "In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a freegovernment, ought to be instructed... No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people..."

Today when the Biblical basis of education is under systematic attack we need to capitalize upon the availability of our first American Dictionary - the only dictionary in the world to "draw water out of the wells of salvation" - to utilize God's written word as a key to the meaning of words. Historically, it documents the degree to which the Bible was America's basic text book in all fields. 2000 pages, hardcover from F.A.C.E.

2004/11/22 19:36Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy