SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Witnessing in Bars

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Witnessing in Bars

Has anybody ever tried this form of evangelism? Going to a bar and witnessing one on one?

2011/3/7 15:45Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Witnessing in Bars

I've never been one to frequent bars, saved or unsaved. But recently I started thinking: I would like to reach people in their 20's-30's. And the place I know almost all of them are on Friday and Saturday nights is at the bar. My missions & outreach pastor at Church thinks it is a great idea, and is fully supportive of me doing it, especially if I can find somebody else to go along. That's why I'm asking.

2011/3/7 15:49Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Be careful here brother. Listen to David Wilkerson's sermon.

http://media.sermonindex.net/15/SID15641.mp3

The devil enticed men of God into sinful places saying they needed to know how to relate to them etc. One ended loosing everything.

I would really pray if it God calling you to do this. I am one who shares Jesus' love on the streets but I would not go into bars etc.

I will pray you hear the voice of God. Very dangerous. This is my opinion. Others may have a different view. Praying for discernment Jimmy, God's perfect will be done here.

Maybe you could be outside the bars with tracts, coffee etc. for when they go in or come out? Just pray and wait until you know for sure you have heard from the Lord.

Glory to God He has laid it upon your heart to reach the lost with His love. He will show you where and how.

He did it for me. Put the burden on my heart with a passion and then He opened the door and put me where He wanted me to be. They come into my space where we set up a table and serve goodies & coffee on a cold morning and I have tracts and serve and a brother comes and shares from the Bible and one leads in some praises. We will go downtown and hand out fliers inviting all to come. Do you see what I am talking about here? There is a difference - going into their world is dangerous. Again, God's will be done regarding this. Praying for you Jimmy. God is faithful. This is just my opinion in love.

2011/3/7 16:19Profile
TTC

I have done this a few times, both personally planned and unplanned, so I'll share some thoughts.

I find that witnessing to people who are drunk can be very wasteful, although the God`s Word does not come back empty, it accomplishes all it set out to do. However, as a point of caution, drunk people can get violent and so it is really up to you if you really believe that any witness to them in that state will have any impact at all. Yet even still, the matter is really not in us having impact, because we are only vessels, the matter is our obedience to the Lord in these and all outreach matters.

There are some who take to me because I am willing to be where they are, and there are some who appreciate me more, become willing to listen, because I am actually NOT in the bar.

Some people respect the notion of not wanting to partake in alcohol, yet others warm up to those who are not going to shy away from their activities. The fear and danger in drinking as a personal conviction is the limit where I know I should not be drinking anymore.

As a notion of outreach this is a beautiful ministry. It is a danger to personal holiness, but that is when we let our convictions guide us and always be prompted by the Holy Spirit. In the end, I find that if I am positive that the pull of the Holy Spirit is drawing me to witness to these people at such and such a time, then it is best to go with it and trust that God will protect you.

Sorry for the long reply. I just thought I'd throw something out there. Feel free to disagree with me, take what you think you can use, discard what you think is incorrect, rebuke if you must, but in the end go with God.

2011/3/7 16:20Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

You have to be careful in witnessing at a bar. If you come across as religious you will do more harm than good.

You have to be real and show yourself as a friend and someone with an open ear. Then when doors open offer the water of life. Don't go into it thinking you are there to get people saved. The flesh will take over.

2011/3/7 16:25Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

There are more people out there especially in that age group that have not heard the real gospel, if they have heard anything of the gospel(I was one of those that never heard until the age 20! Though i was not first witnessed to at the bars, it could possibly near have been.), chances are it's been watered down. Many people in that age range are open in hearing too, because they are at learning and seeking stage. I highly recommend going out Jimmy. In my experience it has always been profitable. I was once a lost heathen at that age and in the college circles, and know full well the need for someone to be out there saying the gospel.

There have actually been many a Christians that we've have also talked to out at the bars as well...Discouraged in their faith...

If you are near a college, even the better. Though all need to hear the gospel obviously, college students are seeking.

Though I have personally have not gone IN to witness, I would not hinder the Spirit from prompting me to do so if the need arose. I know several brothers who have.

Just my personal experience...

2011/3/7 16:39Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
especially if I can find somebody else to go along.

Two by Two is wise.

2011/3/7 16:50Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Be careful here brother. Listen to David Wilkerson's sermon

Keep in mind when David Wilkerson founded Teen Challenge, he spent much time in crack dens doing so.

2011/3/7 18:14Profile
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Re:

A friend of mine got saved by a guy witnessing to him in a bar inviting him to "cowboy church". So with that said I think it is a great idea if the Lord has laid it on your heart and your motives are pure. Examine your heart whether you want to impress people by being an "extreme evangelist" who closes down bars or to really sincerely help people no matter if your ever recognized and if it takes sacrifice. If its the latter you will do great and be blessed, but if its to impress you will fail and possibly fall into dangerous temptation.

So my advice is examine your hearts motives before the Lord in prayer and then act on that!

In brotherly love,
TimmyJoe

2011/3/7 18:53Profile
HeartSong

I would not even consider such a thing unless the LORD sent me, and just by the fact that you are asking the opinions of others tells me that you have not been sent. You are being set up for a fall.

2011/3/7 19:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy