SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Rob Bell Stirs Wrath With His Views on Scripture

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Christiaan my brother, if you were adressing me with the "soft and PC" charge, when i wrote my tongue in cheek, stake burning post.....i was just commenting...in my way, because to me, Rob Bell is a gnat on an elephants hind quarters.

havent even read his books...not even drawn to them.

to me, these days, there are so many wolves, coyotes, foxes, deer ticks, pestilence, filth, mud, mire and disgust, out there now....Rob Bell is a blip, a vapor, we can place on a great big steaming pile of stuff, thats been growing ever since Pentecost, Pelagius comes to mind immediately.

then you have rome, and on and on and on, right to this present day.

by crackey, you even have street preachers, who are the very SONS of Pelagius, think how bad they stumble helpless harrassed sinners.

so for me personally, i love the Bible....but even then, get 10 followers of Jesus in a room, and they cant even agree on what translation to read.

too much infighting...."if" i follow Rob Bell's teachings, what if i did? so what.

i don't, because i dont even know what they are. i see a lot of folks screaming about his teachings, second hand testimonies and reviews of his teachings, and really i could care less.

Jesus' Teachings, That's Who i follow, and just this morning, i was in John 17, the High Priestly Prayer of Jesus'....."that We may All be One".....That's what i like...LOVE.

what to talk about "falling away"? Preach on the Reality of John 17, and how far we all miss the mark on That Prayer, that it would make the exegesis of Rob Bell seem like the trifling matter it is.

in conclusion, the "stake" versus a robust loving consideration of John 17, people gonna choose the stake, who to tie to it, and who to burn, coz thats "more fun".

"church" got a very bad history tying folks and hereticks to stakes, because it makes for great entertainment. in the western world, we got laws, so a crowd cant get whipped up in religious indignation, and roast humans on stakes anymore, but them muslims sure do like to kill one another over intrafaith issues, dont they? car bombs, suicide bombers and the like, Sunni versus Shia, Shia versus Sufi.

listen brother, i didnt start following Jesus as a "get out of hell free" card, i started following Him because God the Holy Ghost revealed His Son in me and to me...thats good enough for me, because Jesus is Lovely, Precious and my Saviour, and Worthy of being followed, no matter WHAT lay after i slip this mortal coil.

the Privledge to follow Him is reward enough, Fear God, not "hell".

love you Badger, neil

2011/3/6 19:17
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Heresy hunting is more destructive than heresy itself. For example, the early Gnostics may have led thousands astray, but they were soon forgotten and their books burned. The anti-gnostic heresy hunting literature of Irenaeus, Origen and Tertullian continued to poison the church for 17 centuries and laid the foundation for millions of murders in God's name. We would be better off if their books were burned and the Gnostic books survived. In fact, the Nag Hammadi Library did survive and since its discovery in 1945 has influenced virtually no one. It is harmless crack-pot literature. Tertullian's books are pretty far from harmless. If anything, the most damaging thing heretics do is justify the existence of heresy hunting.

2011/3/6 19:46Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Neil.

Love you brother. If I thought you were softening up some, I would be the first to tell you. :-) The comment was in general towards the church as a whole and what I have been reading in totality around the web.

Forgive me for not being clear brother.

Also, please send our senators back. lol. Blessings!

2011/3/6 23:14Profile

Christiaan

i knew you weren't, i was just talking in general.

send the senators back...forget them, i'm coming to Wisconsin!!! been looking at a few parcels in the Driftless, pray for favor, will you?

your bro and soon to be badger, neil

2011/3/7 0:03

Re:

wayneman, Irenaeus was a disciple of Polycarp who was the disciple of the Apostle John.
Clement knew the Apostle Paul and so forth.
These men you call "heresy hunters" had to deal with all the attacks on the Church, just as their teachers Paul and John did - naming names and all.
To come against Irenaeus and these earliest of the early Church fathers is going way too far, one would think.

Just scroll down this page and breeze through these content lists and realize that the attacks on His WORD will never end and the Apostles and their contemporaries set the example on how we also should deal with heresies - as Paul and John did and all gave their very lives to protect His Church, as a result -

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.toc.html

2011/3/7 0:48

Re: Rob Bell Stirs Wrath With His Views on Scripture

There is really a need to be discerning with teachers that have great influence in our society. We're actually commanded by God to be.

"21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:21-22)

"16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen." (2 Peter 3:16-18)

There is an underlying belief in these Emergent books (I call them that for lack of a better name) that God's truth cannot be grasped by humans. It neglects that God has given us the Holy Spirit to lead us into all truth, both in our understanding and our lives. We CAN come to the Bible continually and learn lessons that will renew our minds and understand God's will. We need this to do the will of God, which IS necessary to enter His kingdom (Matthew 7:21).

"16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

These Emergent authors thrive on uncertainty, and that's why they appeal to carnal men and women. Nobody NEEDS to repent now (according to them), nothing is CERTAINLY a sin. Every truth in scripture is taken with a "Well... we can't be so sure about that, though we'll consider it." "Thus saith the Lord" is essential to true Christianity. Take that away and you just have suggestions for life, ideas about the afterlife; men can have their own agendas, and who can say they're wrong now. Imagine even Jesus preaching without the implied authority of the Old Testament. That in itself is a necessary foundation for the gospel and the New Testament. Jesus made it clear that we cannot repent and come to him if we do not hear the law, as it's our schoolmaster to Christ that we might be justified by faith (See John 5:47, Luke 16:31, Galatians 3:24). Take away even the Law's authority, let alone the rest of the Bible, and you've undermined Christ's authority, who came to fulfill the Law by his teachings (Matthew 5:17-20) and in us by his Spirit (Romans 8:1-4).

I have seen what embracing this humanistic nonsense does to people that at one time really appeared to walk with the Lord. It's actually easier to share God's word with people with no exposure to the gospel at all then to share anything from God's word to those who've swallowed this poison. I'm not mad at anyone, but this really is an attack on truth, which amounts to an attack on Christ. The way we battle is stand on Christ's word and not be moved for anything.

Here is an example of how Emergents (or whatever they're called) don't receive Christ's words: Jesus did make it utterly clear that heaven and hell are real and are in the future, not states in this life. Jesus is giving the literal interpretations of parables here, so there is no way he's being parabolic and/or symbolic.

"40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear." (Matthew 13:40-43)

"49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 13:49-50)

Also recommend the sermon "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" on this website regarding the idea that God is somehow unfair to put people in hell.

2011/3/7 2:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy