Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Set Free by the Spirit by Bob Hoekstra

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Set Free by the Spirit by Bob Hoekstra

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:2)
There is a destructive spiritual tendency that resides in every human being. It is "the law of sin and death." This indwelling principle is always pulling people downward into sin and spiritual deadness. It comes from being physically born into a fallen race of sinners who are like their earthly father, Adam. Being born anew spiritually does not remove this problem, since this principle still operates within our natural humanity (the flesh). Yet, becoming a child of God does make His remedy constantly available to us.

God's remedy for"the law of sin and death" is a higher, more powerful principle: "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus." This lofty principle involves the Holy Spirit making the life that is in Christ Jesus our resource for living. This principle is operating in the life of any new creature in Christ who is not walking "according to the flesh but [is walking] according to the Spirit" (Romans 8:4b). This approach to Christian living is the only one that can liberate us from the internal carnal tendencies that influence us all.

In fact (as we have noted previously), this is the only hope of growing in the godliness that the law demanded: "that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us" (Romans 8:4a). Our lives can only measure up to the holy will of God when we are walking in the Spirit, because Christ is then being allowed to express His life through us. Jesus was (and is) the only one who could ever walk fully pleasing to the Father. Jesus said, "I always do those things that please Him" (John 8:29). For a victorious Christian experience, we need this same life of Jesus living in and through us now, by the working of the Holy Spirit. We need the higher law ("the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus") setting us free from the lower law ("the law of sin and death").

Again, what is our responsibility in this? We are to relate to the Lord in humility and faith. Humility can develop as we agree with our Lord that "the law of sin and death" characterizes our flesh (our best natural resources). Faith can be exercised as we look to our Lord to demonstrate that "the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death."

Dear Lord Jesus, You alone can supply the life I am called to live. I humbly agree with Your word that my resources are marred by a tendency to sin. Teach me to trust in Your Holy Spirit for liberation from living by my flesh. I thank You in advance for the faithful ways You will answer this prayer. Lord Jesus, live in and through me by the power of Your Spirit, Amen.

2011/2/27 15:50Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: Set Free by the Spirit by Bob Hoekstra

This portion is bursting with flavor!! Great topic!!

Contrasting the "law of sin and death", with the "law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" reminds me of the tree of the "knowledge of good and evil" vs the " tree of life".

Life reigns in Christ Jesus! We soar like eagles, free of condemnation!

The Holy Spirit continually "administrates" the power of the blood, the cross and the victory of the resurrection, keeping the old man buried and the new creation we are in Jesus more alive than we ever dreamed!

I like to tell friends " Hey. Get free. It's the law! "

Now we are free to love God and man. Free to sing, dance, shout, encourage, forgive, exhort, intercede, weep, repent, heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the leper, cast out devils, give to the poor, free to cry holy!, worthy! etc......

I am hoping for some life-giving insights posted on this. amen

Russell

2011/2/28 8:36Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Quote:
Now we are free to love God and man. Free to sing, dance, shout, encourage, forgive, exhort, intercede, weep, repent, heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the leper, cast out devils, give to the poor, free to cry holy!, worthy! etc......

I say Hallelujah to this! This is why Jesus came - to set us free! And the more we sit at His feet, the more we learn of Him and are still to know that He is our God and we are His people, the freer we are.

Through all the hard trials He has brought us through, we can give Him all the glory, all the credit, because we know it was not in our ability to see us through. We are free to love if nothing else. I say that when the love of God flows through us because we have been with Him - He will flow out of us. He will lead us to sing, to worship, to forgive, to exhort, to intercede, to weep, to repent, to give, to lay hands on for healing etc.

In His Presence we see our lack of accomplishing anything for Him. This sets me free to allow Him to have His will and His way. And in that I am free to worship Him-I am free indeed. He has filled me. No one can love and accept me like He does. Things may try to come at me but I run to Him and the Holy Spirit brings my mind back to what is important and it is Him and Him alone.

I am at a place, finally, where I dont have to serve the Lord! I have no need nor a desire to serve Him for my self worth, my Salvation, to please Him. The one thing, if I were to strive for, is to never get so busy that I am away from Him for too long of a period. Not even a day or a 1/2 day. He is my source, my Bread, my fellowship, my Vine, without a closeness to Him I am fretting, anxious, worried, scared, insecure. But when I am constantly with Him I am free from all of this. And He is my Beloved and I am His Bride and I will follow Him freely, delighting in knowing my Beloved is worthy of my trust, my belief in His care and love for me. Thus, I love Him because He first loved me.

I wake in the morning with His Name on my lips, I fellowship with Him all the day and in the night I am communing with Him until I fall asleep. I share the deep things in my heart, my concerns for me and others etc. The Holy Spirit comforts me with Scripture or I get peace after I have interceded and know He has heard and it is now in His hands.

It has been a hard and rough road to get to this and I have no way arrived. But my joy is in seeing how my Beloved has set me free from so much and I can say I am a miracle as we all are.

The freer I get the more humble I get, the more in love with Him I get, the more peace I get, the more joy, I get and I am freer to quickly repent, freer to love to forgive.

I bow down and worship my Lord, the King of Kings, the glory and lifter of my head, the One who will finish the good work He began in me etc. I owe Him my life, my faith, my praise, my worship, my obedience, my trust, my fellowship & time. And even this I cannot do without His complete help. I can do nothing without Him.

If my mother and father were to forsake me, my family, my friends, the brethren - yet my Lord will never forsake me and I am free with joy. Nothing can separate me from the love of Jesus.

I shout Hallelujah! I am being set free - we are all being set free as we sit at His feet. He is so awesome in His care & love for us all.

2011/2/28 11:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy