SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Vessels of dishonor/vessels of ordinary use

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Vessels of dishonor/vessels of ordinary use

I am trying to research historically the actual vessels of dishonor/ordinary use in the jewish household. I understand the interpretation of the verse in Romans 9. It's just that I am curious what these vessels were to the ancient Jew that Paul uses as an example. Does anyone have a reference or lead that I can follow up concerning this?

Thanks

2011/2/26 17:46Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Vessels of dishonor or vessels of ordinary use

Dealing directly with σκεῦος (vessel or vase) in Romans 9 there are a number of types of vessels that were used in the first century and before. Any vessel that can be carried, from sacred to non-sacred; from animal skins to ivory. Bear in mind that although vessel is primarily in view, σκεῦος means more than simply 'vessel'. The original sense of the word means to implement or an instrument. Bible words have histories. We find σκεῦος first in Genesis 25:43 in the LXX:

καὶ ἐξενέγκας ὁ παῖς σκεύη ἀργυρᾶ καὶ χρυσᾶ καὶ ἱματισμὸν ἔδωκεν Ρεβεκκα καὶ δῶρα ἔδωκεν τῷ ἀδελφῷ αὐτῆς καὶ τῇ μητρὶ αὐτῆς.

And when the servant had brought out articles of silver and gold and clothing, he gave them to Rebekka, and he gave gifts to her brother and mother. (Gen. 25:43 NETS)

The KJV translates 'articles' as 'jewels'. We have it again in Genesis 27:3:

νῦν οὖν λαβὲ τὸ σκεῦός σου, τήν τε φαρέτραν καὶ τὸ τόξον, καὶ ἔξελθε εἰς τὸ πεδίον καὶ θήρευσόν μοι θήραν

Now therefore take your equipment, both quiver and bow, and go out into the plain, and hunt game for me, (NETS)

The word here 'equipment' is translated in the KJV as 'weapons.' This is God building revelation into the concept so that by the time we reach Romans 9 there is quite a history to meditate on. Men are made both vessels in the one sense, that are instruments of His purposes in the broader sense. An instrument of wrath can be used to effect change in a vessel of honor, etc.

2011/2/26 18:34Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: "instruments of His purposes"

Serves me right. I was looking for an earthly response and got a heavenly answer. I was going one direction and you have given me something to ponder and meditate on that I was not expecting.

2011/2/26 19:40Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

It was a great question worth exploring. Gave me some things to ponder as well.

2011/2/26 21:22Profile
Deckerpm

Re: Vessels of dishonor/vessels of ordinary use

I have wondered the same thing. The best explanation that I have been given is quite a simple one. The potter takes a mound of clay; out of it he fashions two pots. One of those pots willbe used for something very honorable, carrying the wine of king and his court; the other for dishonor, a pot for human waste. If this is the contextual meaning, if certainly highlights God's mercy on us, does it not?

2012/6/19 7:53Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy