Discussion Forum : General Topics : Young Preachers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Young Preachers

2 Timothy 4:2 KJV
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove , rebuke , exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

2 Timothy 4:5 KJV
But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions , do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Why is it we lack young preachers, one thing that i often hear is that preaching is not for everyone, yet people like Charles Spurgeon started on the street at 16 and many others such as Hudson Taylor started extremely young.

With a large number of youth leaving our church where are the young preachers for this generation? Where are the street evangelists?

I know as a street preacher myself i am always willing for more street preachers to come out on the street.

I think it is so many times that I hear preaching is not for everyone does that mean in other terms that I do not want my pulpit taken over by someone younger or is there other hidden motives in this statement.

Charles spurgeon was part of a Preaching Club that went round different churches in which he could be corrected!
Where are the Preaching Clubs of the Uk? I may have got my historic facts wrong so you can correct me? By why should we not learn the wisdom of preaching through are elders?

As a street preacher I always love hearing someone new preaching as they can pierce people, it also informs me on what doctrines people believe as it is sometimes hard to gauge in in our churches what people actually believe.

Sometimes I only really know what people believe when evangelizing or when some dodgy doctrine comes out? How many pastors know whether they go to church on Sunday and then go to see someone else such as a New Age person on another day, I was reading an interesting fact on the ecumenical movement that alot of people in american churches do this, they go to church on sunday but a completly different religion on another day! Do we know what people in our congregation believe?

Will there be a ream of young preachers to replace the older ones to continue going down the old paths of our fathers!

2011/2/26 15:59Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: deficiency

Deltadom, what a difficult thing it must be to suffer the rejection of men in darkness as you tell them of the light of mankind. I have witnessed how many treat pulbic declaration of Gods word and I know you receive more than your share of insults. God bless you.

As for the situation here in the U.S. There is no lack of preachers. Just a great deficiency of priests.

2011/2/26 17:02Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Well, before getting into young preachers, I think we would do better to look for young Christians. In Bible college we were taught that the 18-30 demographic is a "black hole" in the church. There can't be many young preachers when there aren't many young Christians to begin with. I've been involved in ministry since my early 20's. But I've not known too many Christians my age during this time. Most of the one's I knew were in Bible college with me. But in the church, almost entirely absent. And even now, though I go to a church with 3,000 people, I would be willing to be that there aren't even 300 18-30's in our congregation.

2011/2/26 17:33Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

We must always consider other possibilities. Might some of the younger generation be attaching themselves to other forms of fellowship? One cannot deny two trends. There are those who are lost yet churched and are rebelling against the hypocrisy of what they feel their parents were tied to(True hypocrisy) or just following their true nature. Then there are those who are saved that have gravitated to small groups or home chuches because they feel the restrictions of many churches that do not promote the ministry and gifts of the individual believer.

As far as the number of preachers out there. Currently in the small city I live in there are two churches without pastors. Combined I believe they have received close to 700 plus resumes from preachers for hire. I know this because I have some family members in one and I am still a member of the other.

2011/2/26 18:53Profile

Re: Young Preachers

DD

Don't get discoraged, this is what the end-times looks like. Churches are full and hearts are empty.

OJ

2011/2/27 14:14
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

That is a good question. My generation may be attaching themselves to more and more house-church based fellowships. But, as being a 20 something for the past decade, I have to say if they are, then they are refusing to be salt and light in this world. Because I've known a LOT of folks my age, and most of them do not confess to being practicing Christians in any shape or form. Most folks I know my age or simply soaking up the world the best they can.

But when they start having kids, they generally return to the Church.

2011/2/27 18:18Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

There are a number of dangers that seek the younger folks who become believers.

Undisciplined zeal for the gospel. This can do more to turn people away than anything. I hear this alot within the college crowd because younger people lean on their emotions for their God experience. They don't get taught or learn for themselves who God is but instead of led by their emotions.

Many times they lack discipleship and in turn learn to use the standard answers when confronted with issues.

You might see some at prayer meetings but in reality only a small number of them are really serious about their faith. THe rest are there for a 'radical' 'emotional' experience.

How often do you find a conference for young people where the emotions get teased through upbeat advertisements, speakers issue emotional challengers to them and they all prayer through the rush of adrenaline they just went through? I think of the few I attended and I really feel cheated. I have even emailed a few radio shows that cater to the younger generation with certain questions and the answers I received back were very shallow.

Lastly, how often does a person ever hear a younger person testify of God's working in their lives but they never really get specific. It is always God's Love is so great. We saw God do so many things but it relates more to the emotions and what they think was God then it actually was. I feel cheated of this myself, I became a believer at age 20 (now 41) and I see the younger generation getting cheated thinking they are doing something when in reality it is hollow.

sorry for the rant.

2011/2/28 8:39Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

As Katz would say, "Something is rotten in Denmark."

2011/2/28 9:27Profile
davym

Re:

Hi Deadn

I very much agree with what you have said. Christianity now for youngsters is an emotional rollercoaster. There seems to be very little depth to it all. Few young people spend a lot of time praying and studying their Bible seriously. Prayer and Bible study seem to be used as something that needs to be endured. The real emphasis is on social activity. Sin in young peoples lives is tolerated to a degree which is frightening. God, in my opinion, won't raise up young preachers (to preach with power) from a pool of people who have not yielded to His will.

2011/2/28 9:53Profile
Madefree

Alabama

Re:

In reply to Deltadom

I know what you mean, there is a great lack of young preachers in our day--a lot of it becasue there is a lack of young Christians in our day as the dear brother has pointed out.

Another thing is the stigma attatched to youth these days, most people within the youth age group act very immature, and the ones who are serious about God and are devoted to properly spreading the Gospel are pigeonholed with the rest of the peopel their age and none of the older take them seriously. The older may listen, give a condescending smile and comment on their zeal, but that's about it.

On a personal note, I am only 18, and have been surrendered to ministry since 16, after God doing a wonderful work on my heart for close to a year. I know the bad end of the stick on this and have felt it's sting a lot. As God got ahold of me about such things I looked around in the youth group and wondered what was the matter with them. I always made better friends with adults than people my own age and it's still the same way. The ignorance and apathy of my generation is one of the primary causes for such a lack of young preachers, and I pray that God would move over them in Sovereign Power and separate for Himself prophets in these last days.

-Mike W.

p.s. Young preachers who have been an inspiration to me: Charles Spurgeon, Jim Elliot, Andrew Gray, Leonard Ravenhill (started when he was 14) and A. W. Tozer (took first pastorate in early 20's)

2011/2/28 11:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy