SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Revival and the Family

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougkristen

Revival and the Family

[u][b]Revival and the family [/b][/u]

I have had on my heart to see if there was any interest or desire to discuss revival as it relates to the family.

Has anyone ever give this a thought? Is the reason why God's people are not effective is because of sin in the family?

Mal 4:6 says

6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

KJV

Judgement is definately coming to the families of this world and especially to families of Christians in spades.

Unless Dad's get serious about leading their families, revival may never take place in the church, or even in the culture.

Grace,
Doug

2004/11/18 15:58Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Revival and the Family

Quote:
Has anyone ever give this a thought? Is the reason why God's people are not effective is because of sin in the family?

I believe it certainly can be one of the reasons for ineffectiveness.

The family is sort of a proving grounds for many Christians, a place where we prove if the gospel works or not. There are few places where the gospel is tested more than in our closest relationships, with our spouses and our children. I'm in the midst of some great testing right now in just such relationships, I'm ashamed to say that I have failed miserably many times but I do see the Lord working in and through me, always progress.

The Bible gives some support to this 'proving grounds' notion when Paul gives us the desired characteristics of church leaders in 1 Timothy and Titus. I'm paraphrasing here but Paul says, prospective church leaders are to be blameless and one of the areas where that can be tested is in the home. So clearly the home is a place where God can work maturity and revival into our personal lives and eventually into the lives of others.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/11/18 17:11Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Revival and the Family

Quote:
Unless Dad's get serious about leading their families, revival may never take place in the church, or even in the culture.

This makes is sound a little as though revival is the reward of holiness. Is that true, or is holiness the consequence of revival?

2004/11/18 18:55Profile

Re:

Quote:
Unless Dad's get serious about leading their families,

Spiritually speaking at the moment my husband isn't leading our family although he is getting there. Rather i try with my two little ones to lead them. My youngest who just turned four always reminds ME to pray and after praying before meal times my youngest always say Amen and shes only 20 months. I know she doesn't really understand what were doing but i read them the word at bedtimes and at any other times that arise. I also try my best to lead by example because the most important thing for me is to apply the word to my life.
This is an important subject for me because i want to bring my children up in the way of Lord. Im inspired by the way the 'puritans' raised their children am looking into the methods they used such as catechising (did i spell that right?) which if my husband was invovled in then it would increase his understanding. So it's not just the dads leading their young ones nowadays but the mothers. Regardless of gender i pray that whoever it may be raising the little ones in this generation that God will work through us and give us the wisdom in doing such a hugely responsable job!!!!

2004/11/19 4:37
dougkristen

Re:

Family is the institution that God created since Genesis.

What does the Word of God say about "revival" on the earth as it relates to families? The scripture says, that if Fathers don't turn their attention to their children, God is going to judge the earth, hense, no revival.

What do you think? Can revival start in the homes first and then out in the culture, or does it have to start on the streets first before Fathers begin to lead?

There have been many "revivals" towards the family such as Promise Keepers and fathers are still struggling to lead their families, and many men are still addicted to the sins of the flesh.

Was PK effective and a type of revival or are we looking for something different?

Grace,
Doug

2004/11/19 9:25Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Was PK effective and a type of revival or are we looking for something different?

I have never attended a promise keepers meeting so I can't speak intelligently on that movement however, I have seen this phenomenon of short lived zeal or so called revival that springs up from an emotional stirring in men who hear emotionally charged sermons. The emotions wear off quickly and things return to the way they were. I have experienced this myself.

I believe that revival is a deep work of the God in men's hearts, it is an abiding work and vision that only the Spirit of God can do. This work of the Spirit should be a desire of our hearts;

[i]And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart.[/i] (Jeremiah 29:13)

[i]If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?[/i] (Matthew 7:11)

In Christ,

Ron

2004/11/19 10:26Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
What does the Word of God say about "revival" on the earth as it relates to families? The scripture says, that if Fathers don't turn their attention to their children, God is going to judge the earth, hense, no revival.

[b]Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse. [/b](Mal 4:5-6 KJV)

This was my earlier question. I'm not contending the importance of fathers' input into their children's life, but these verses in Malachi seen to suggest that it is God's intervention in 'revival' (what else would be call John's ministry?) that will bring about the turning; [b]He shall turn.[/b]

2004/11/19 11:36Profile
dougkristen

Re:

Quote:
Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet

Ahh, I think I know what you are saying now.

God sends the Elijah's to preach to mom's, dad's and everyone, and then because of preaching, this turns the hears of fathers and children in the right direction. It was was God who sent Elijah, It was God who sent John the Baptist, it was God who sends...

Grace,
Doug

2004/11/19 11:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy