SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : bibles

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
A-beliver

bibles

If I may, what is a good version of the bible to read. Right now I am reading the King James version. does anyone have any other translations that they would recommend to a fairly new believer.

2011/2/11 12:42Profile
jimp

Re: bibles

hi, without being a snob,it depends on your education and your ability to understand the language.jimp

2011/2/11 12:50Profile
A-beliver

Re:

Well as of now I have a basic understanding of what it is saying, but their are time i can't tell what it is try to say.

2011/2/11 12:54Profile

ESV.

2011/2/11 12:56
A-beliver

Re:

May I inquire the difference between these two translations.

2011/2/11 13:04Profile
Joyful_Heart

Hi,

First ask the Holy Spirit to teach you or whoever.

http://www.blueletterbible.org

They have different versions. They have commentaries as well that might help.

Spending time with Him in the Word is our numb. priority in life. Glory to God.

2011/2/11 13:07Profile
sidadm

The KJV will improve your language skills and understanding and it is the only Bible version with a built-in dictionary. Changing the translation destroys the built-in dictionary.

2011/2/11 13:55Profile
sidadm

ESV

2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

KJV

2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

A former acquaintance of mine has been willing to work for 20 years, but just doesn't like to. Preferred that his wife work instead while he enjoys life. But when you talk to him, he is always willing. Just did not like the job offers.

2011/2/11 14:01Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I like to read the KJV, NASB and NIV.

English is my wife's second language, so she doesn't appreciate the archaic language of the KJV very much. She reads the NIV (1984) version. She likes the ease of understanding the language for the version. Granted: The NIV and KJV are translated (partially) from different sets of sources.

You can read and compare these (and other versions) at www.biblegateway.com.

2011/2/11 15:03Profile
sidadm

Re:

Here is an example of the built-in dictionary. I have some Indian (India) friends that like it for this reason. Helps them learn english. And even though some of these words are not used anymore, many of them are used in Britain and former British colonies. My kids say some of the words are on the SAT test.

Definition of Froward from Webster's Dictionary.

Froward
FRO'WARD, a. [L. versus: turned or looking from.]

Perverse, that is, turning from, with aversion or reluctance; not willing to yield or comply with what is required; unyielding; ungovernable; refractory; disobedient; peevish; as a froward child.

Now, some scripture:

Pro 4:24 Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.

Pro 8:8 All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.

Pro 17:20 He that hath a froward heart findeth no good: and he that hath a perverse tongue falleth into mischief.

From these 3 scriptures we see that the Holy Spirit is explaining the word "froward" as meaning Perverse.

Of course we don't use perverse anymore except for the vilest things. Well, in the "old" days, a crooked, dishonest tongue was seen as perverse. Can you see how things get watered down and "softened"?

Everybody lies today, because it is no longer perverse, just a little crooked.

2011/2/11 15:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy