SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Complete Jewish Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

The Complete Jewish Bible

Does anyone have any information / insite into this version?

2004/11/17 3:44Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: The Complete Jewish Bible

Hi Nasher,

David Stern has also written a commentary that I have used for a number of years. I would not suggest it unless you are looking to understand Messianic Judaism or get a feel for some of the culture that existed in the 1st century. The problem with reconstructing the events of the 1st century is that often times he draws from extra-biblical sources, such as Talmud, to try to discover 1st century Jewish culture. I am very suspicious of this, but don't throw out the commentary all together. There are a lot of interesting things in it. The Complete Jewish Bible was the first work (so i think) that was really significant. I opted not to purchase such a work because the rewording and use of Hebrew names is not only irrelevant to many in our society, it serves to complicate the subject. I would use it only if I were studying or unless you are teaching on the subject. In an attempt to preach the Gospel you can end up preaching Jewish Culture, which is not our main interest.

Jewish Roots is a favorite topic of mine, but it has a context. It also is a subjected that really has to be sorted through due to the many different Rabbinic carry overs that find themselves influencing the hearers, through the resources used to compile the historic data. The Pharisee's rejected our Lord, moved to Yavneh (Jamnia) and started the God supplanting religion Rabbinic Judaism, and I reject their teachings. I have no real use for Rabbinic writings. As far as I am concerned; these people are deceiving and being deceived.

God Bless,

-Robert

2004/11/17 7:56Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re: The Complete Jewish Bible

I have a friend who has a copy. They use the jewish names. That is all I know. I could ask my friend for his insight if you would like?

2004/11/17 8:56Profile
dougkristen

Re: Messanic Christians

I have good friends who are Messaniac Christians. While I don't completely understand what they believe in, what cautions should one take in their beliefs? It is really popular in other contries like Russia.

Grace,
Doug

2004/11/17 9:31Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Hi Doug,

I am much in support of Messianic Judaism as a means of reaching many Jews with the Gospel. However, I would caution against an over emphasis on the written Law in the Judaizing sense. Every group will be different and have different understandings of the Gospel. I would also caution against groups that insist upon utilizing Talmudic materials.

There is a thread in Church history that has several articles that deal with the Jewish Issues. It is little more than an introduction, but it will alert you to many of the issues.

God Bless,

-Robert

2004/11/17 9:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy