SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A question about a prophecy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
A-beliver

A question about a prophecy

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the prophecy in Isaiah 19:1-10 is depicting specifically and is what is happening in Egypt right now what the prophecy is referring to. If anyone can help me understand, please do so.

2011/2/8 12:45Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: A question about a prophecy

Over the last 15 years or so, I have heard, and read a small number of prophecy buffs refer to Isaiah 19 as a not-yet-fulfilled event. The prophecy does not end at verse ten though. Egypt has had any number of societal problems which we could look to to see the fulfillment of the first ten verses, but the remainder of the prophecy is far more specific, and would appear to indicate a significant amount of conversions, to nearly a national scale.

As far as to whether or not it applies now, who knows. I also am unaware of an historical event that could have been a fulfillment of Isaiah 19. However the prophecy seems to have a definite "millennial" overtone to it in my opinion. (For the record, I will not debate prophecy with anyone.) I am simply offering a mild consideration.

In spite of all that, we should be praying for the nation of Egypt as often as it comes to mind. God obviously has a plan for it, may as many as possible enter into the elect by his grace, and not be devoured by the roaming lion!

***Edit***
By the way, welcome to the forum! I also forgot to mention, that the passage of scripture that has come to mind as I have been considering what little I know about the events in Egypt is Psalm 2.

2011/2/8 13:18Profile
learjet

Re:

I see a parallel between Ezekiel 38-39 and these events that are happening. Theses verses seem to indicate that Israel will be surrounded with no one left to defend them, except THE LORD OF HOSTS!!

Ezekiel 38:13 seems to describe the West pretty well:

Quote:
Sheba and Dedan and the merchants of Tarshish and all her villages[e] will say to you, “Have you come to plunder? Have you gathered your hordes to loot, to carry off silver and gold, to take away livestock and goods and to seize much plunder?”’

Have you come to plunder? "No, we just decided to gather our armies and shoot some spit balls at each other here in the desert" This is a question that I could see us asking now (seriously).

I'm not going to debate prophecy either, just wanted to give you further reading. Hopefully it will help you on your quest for truth!

Peace!

In Christ,
Earl J

2011/2/8 19:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

There are prophecies in the WORD that many times appear to describe current events. This always excites prophecy buffs, including me. However, I am never absolutely sure that this particular one refers to the situation at hand (I am speaking in general, not talking about Isa.19). One thing it does teach us is that the world will be filled with calamities, that God is going to judge sin and he will use various methods to force people to think about their eternal destiny. In doing so He hopes it will evoke a turning to Him.

One important value in studying prophecy is that it teaches us that God is very much in control of life and world events, be it 'natural' or political; and that we should not fear because God IS going to win and I am siding with the winner! Doing so will not always be pleasant, either. But God is winning - it just is not always all that obvious.

My testimony...

2011/2/8 22:10Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: simplified

With idolatrous Israel to be taken down and Judah to follow, the Lords patience and striving with the favored nation has reached its limit. He punishes them with the powerful nations He raises up for just this purpose and they are but puppets in His hands. These power infused nations do not give homage to God for this favor but abuse it and attribute it to other gods and become prideful in this new found stength. So likewise God brings wrath upon them as well as all of those oppressors of Israel that over the ages have caused her grief. No one seems to escape this judgement upon the nations. As a parent chastises his child there is also a comforting after the correction but as history always seems to repeat and as we see in the O.T. the forgiven child, whether the favored Jacob or Esau, always seem to offend the Father.

2011/2/9 6:30Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Every-time a terrible event occurs in the world there are people rushing to the WORD and declaring that this particular one is a fulfillment of 'this' prophecy. After a while, after things slow down, people wonder about this particular interpretation, wonder whether they misinterpreted the WORD. Eventually, prophecy moves into an area of confusion and people will not study it because it has been misinterpreted so many times thinking it can never be understood. They also have observed the difference of interpretations among prophecies buffs. How can one even begin to understand if the experts disagree so sharply, so vehemently?

I find this so unfortunate because it serves to confuse people unnecessarily. They are robbing themselves of some of the greatest blessing in studying prophecy. Revelation 1:3: "Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near." NASB Scripture does not promise a definite understanding of or when these events will occur. But having these words lodged in your conscience does so much to comfort and bless when the world is in such an upheaval.

Yes, it is exciting to check the Word to see whether these events fit into prophecy, let's just not manipulate events to fit the Word.

Exciting times? It is for us who reside in the safety of our homes with our shelves well stocked with food; with warm houses to sleep in. But it is not a pleasure for those who are hungry and burying their murdered father, mother, sons or daughters. They need the prayers of the saints...

2011/2/9 9:17Profile
A-beliver

Re:

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any suggestions on how to study these prophecies without becoming mistaken or anything like that. Also, I was only asking about Egypt because it was brought up in a bible study I was attending.

2011/2/9 13:00Profile
davidc

France

Re:

Areadymind, you say:

"As far as to whether or not it applies now, who knows. I also am unaware of an historical event that could have been a fulfillment of Isaiah 19. However the prophecy seems to have a definite "millennial" overtone to it in my opinion. (For the record, I will not debate prophecy with anyone.) I am simply offering a mild consideration."

I agree with your "mild consideration". I was reminded of how during the persecution under Herod, God had Jesus and family hidden in Egypt. Joseph also and later the whole faily of Israel were kept there.

Jesus fortells in Matthew 25 the millennial (When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory) judgement of the nations alive at that time. (it gives a real importance to His words "I was a stranger and you took me in")

"Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matt 25:34-40 (KJV)

Isaiah 19 speaks of judgement first upon Egypt, followed by blessing "And the Lord shall be known to Egypt, and the Egyptians shall know the Lord in that day: v.21 ; and "Blessed be Egypt my people" v:25

David

2011/2/9 17:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

When I attended Bible School and took Revelation, we never got very far. Out instructor worked hard to impress upon our mind that Scripture is to be taken literally, unless other scriptures would suggest otherwise. You must compare scripture with other scripture. Admittedly, some things are not found elsewhere but is confined to one place only.

As far as prophecy of future events are concerned, study the entire message in its entirely - do not pull out a few verses and ignore that which do not seem to fit. Look at it wholly.

Too many folks use the pick and choose method and ignore those that contradict and thereby lose credibility with others and can mislead as well.

When you find yourself mistaken in its application, do not fear, keep on discussing. It usually happens that when people are searching for the truth and they share in this quest, someone may say something that will trigger an understanding that heretofore was hidden.

Prophecy is not all that difficult. For starters take Isaiah 19 and start making lists of what is said. Then take a look at it and what do you see? A very interesting picture. Think I will do it myself...having read it with an eye on unfolding events in Egypt. If this thing in Egypt will blow over with the Nile not drying up you can understand the prophecy in Isaiah is not referring to the current situation.

My understanding...

2011/2/9 18:35Profile
A-beliver

Re:

Thank you for the tips. Hopefully i will be able to reach some form of understanding soon.

2011/2/10 12:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy