SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : oh what a wretched man i am

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
davejenks13

Springfield, Ohio

oh what a wretched man i am

if you have ever read romans 7:14-24, you have read paul's somewhat (at least the first time i read it) confusing banter of his battle with sin. a couple of years after i had initially read it, i happened to hear a part of a sermon on that passage.
i have been battling so very much the balance in my life. i once believed that you needed to have a sense of balance between things of God and things of the world. what a wicked doctrine that is. i recently had somewhat of a revival in my life, where, by his grace and mercy, the Lord spoke to me and showed me that whatever my mind is on the most is my god. he showed me how much time i spend on entertainment, social networking, and other trite things of this world. and then the battle began.
often times in more liberal church communities, it seems that conviction is often mistaken for self-guilt, that what you feel is only from your clouded view of how society views what you are doing. the conviction that i fought so much saying it was my own self-guilt because i felt i wasn't "succeeding" or having my best life now, was actually the spirit of God yanking me to repent from my wicked ways.
upon reading the text in romans 7 again, i realized what the apostle Paul was talking about. this ongoing battle in himself with the sin that is still indwelling and the Holy Spirit's urging to obey the Law of God (now when i say "law", i speak of the spiritual laws of God that are written in our hearts and having to do with the all-cleansing blood of Jesus Christ, not that which is written on stone tablets and the blood of bulls and goats).
i struggled so much with be assured of my salvation and if i kept on sinning how did i know that the Holy Spirit of God dwelled in me. but upon reading that text Paul revealed how saved he was! the hatred of the indwelling sin is, dare i say, the one way to see if the fruits of salvation are there. paraphrasing what paul said, i have deeply desire with all my being to conform to and perform all that God has set before me, but what i want to do i do not do it, but what i hate i do.
since having put aside many of the trite things of this world such as my xbox, my facebook account, and other things, the Lord has put a hunger for His Word in my heart. i pray that this post give encouragement to those struggling and conviction to those who are in need of it.

2011/2/7 14:05Profile

Re: oh what a wretched man i am

Thanks for your refreshing post.

You captured something rare here:

Quote:
often times in more liberal church communities, it seems that conviction is often mistaken for self-guilt, that what you feel is only from your clouded view of how society views what you are doing.

Quote:
the conviction that i fought so much saying it was my own self-guilt because i felt i wasn't "succeeding" or having my best life now, was actually the spirit of God yanking me to repent from my wicked ways.

Quote:
upon reading the text in romans 7 again, i realized what the apostle Paul was talking about.

Quote:
i struggled so much with be assured of my salvation and if i kept on sinning how did i know that the Holy Spirit of God dwelled in me. but upon reading that text Paul revealed how saved he was! the hatred of the indwelling sin is, dare i say, the one way to see if the fruits of salvation are there.

1 John 1:8

If we say that we have no sin,

we deceive ourselves,

and the truth is not in us.

2011/2/7 15:20
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: oh what a wretched man i am

Bless you brother, what an encouraging confession. May God grant you your desire to be conform to him.

2011/2/7 20:19Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

Very nice thread. Through Christ we are wretched no more, but very blessed through what Jesus Christ has accomplished for us. A genuine true gift from God to each of us who believe Him and accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ, our Messiah.

2011/2/8 12:24Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy