SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Do You Feel Unworthy?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sidadm

Do You Feel Unworthy?

I have been lurking for awhile and noticed a lot of grace as well as performance based posts. It's good to see both sides because I think it causes us to investigate and search out the Scriptures to find the heart of God.

Much of what is taught to us today is to extract guilt in us because we are unworthy.

The Bible teaches us of our unworthiness - not to make us try harder but to cause us to feel totally helpless so that we'll flee to the Savior.

Some "teachers" wishes us to feel guilty so we'll try harder, we'll do more.

The Bible's focus is on Christ and His work.

Many "teachers" focus us on our "performance".

What is the significance of the distinction?

Consider this ....

Spurgeon - EVENING:

"Tell me ... where thou feedest, where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon." -- Song of Solomon 1:7

These words express the desire of the believer after Christ, and his longing for present communion with him. ...

Thou (Jesus) hast companions-why should I not be one?

Satan tells me I am unworthy; but I always was unworthy, and yet thou hast long loved me; and therefore my unworthiness cannot be a bar to my having fellowship with thee now.

It is true I am weak in faith, and prone to fall, but my very feebleness is the reason why I should always be where thou feedest thy flock, that I may be strengthened, and preserved in safety beside the still waters.

Why should I turn aside? There is no reason why I should, but there are a thousand reasons why I should not, for Jesus beckons me to come. If he withdrew himself a little, it is but to make me prize his presence more. Now that I am grieved and distressed at being away from him, he will lead me yet again to that sheltered nook where the lambs of his fold are sheltered from the burning sun.

2011/2/7 12:26Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: Do You Feel Unworthy?

Amen and Amen. Spurgeon promotes grace as much as anyone I have read. That grace is a constant reminder to the believer of its sufficiency as well as the price that was paid for it.

2011/2/7 15:00Profile

Re:

Totally in agreement.

I think that, besides Scripture, it should REQUIRED (just kidding) for believers to read Martin Luther's following works:

1. Commentary on Galatians
2. On Christian Liberty

God Bless

2011/2/7 15:19
sidadm

Re: We Need A Powerful Saviour

Character based ministries equate knowledge with victory over sin and righteousness.

In their world - if you know to do 'right' and don't - then it is all your fault!

They are right in that it is your fault (grin)

You ARE responsible for your sin

But ....

In and of our own - we are powerless against sin.

Remember - it is God who is working within you both to give you the power and desire to do His will.(Phil 2:13)

Also remember that it is the Holy Spirit who changes knowledge to understanding - it is the doctrine we refer to as 'illumination'.

Which explains why the Pharisees could memorize the OT without recognizing Christ as the Messiah.

Many know quite a bit about the Bible today, but do not know the Saviour.

Your duty is to do all in your power and to avail yourself of the means of grace - read God's word, fellowship with other believers, repent/confess, pray fervently, etc

In Hebrews 1:3 - The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the *exact representation* of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

The word translated 'exact representation' is the greek word 'chakter' or an impression made by pressure - like the greek coins that had the emperor's image stamped onto it.

It seems that as you study the Word it is in your head but the Spirit must 'strike' it onto your heart - just like the image onto your heart or onto your understanding.

In my life, most of the 'striking' has been through some very difficult and heart wrenching circumstances. Tough to go through, but priceless.

But back to my main point - even though sanctification is a cooperative effort - it is not effectual until the Spirit does His work.

PSA 127 - Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.

We are to build, we are to watch - but in dependence upon God to build and to watch.

We do all that is in our power and then expect God to work according to His Word and His good pleasure.

The bottom line is that we are to be actively engaged in putting sin to death in our lives - but because sin is so powerful and we are so weak, it takes a powerful Savior to both cancel the penalty for our sin and to overcome it in our earthly lives, daily.

I need a strong savior as much today as I did the day Christ redeemed me. I must still flee to Him and look to the cross.

2011/2/7 17:41Profile
ArtB

New York

Re: Feeling Unworthy

I often feel very unworthy,

then I recall that salvation is not earned by me being sinless, but rather, it is a gift from God to me who accepted the fact that Jesus died on the cross so that all my sins (past, present, and future) have been washed away by His blood, and I confess my known sins to God knowing that He is faithful to forgive all my sins and He will cleanse me from all unrighteousness,

and then I snap out of it, and gladness and joy fill my heart.

2011/2/12 10:58Profile
Zionshield

Ohio

Re: Do You Feel Unworthy?

What a great post. Thank you so much. It helped me :)

2011/2/15 22:56Profile
A-beliver

Re:

I always fell this way.

2011/2/17 12:48Profile
johncy

Re:

It is almost a sin to feel unworthy. We just to always go back that Jesus died on the cross to save us. So it is as if negligible to feel you are worth of nothing as Christ himself knew that we are all worthy of salvation and that is why he put his life on the line to save us all.

2011/2/23 2:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy