SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Love your neighbor as yourself - in the right order of priorities

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Love your neighbor as yourself - in the right order of priorities

Mark 12:28-31
28(AV) And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the most important of all?" 29Jesus answered, "The most important is,(AW) 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God,(AX) the Lord is one. 30And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31(AY) The second is this:(AZ) 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment(BA) greater than these."

Most of you are familiar with Reidhead's most popular sermon and the particular passage where he shares his insight into his own motives for witnessing. He understood that his motives were based on humanism (Saving poor sinners from going to hell) and not on a desire to bring glory to God (That Jesus may get his reward), so he repented of that. This message changed the way I look at things forever.

I agreed with his use of the term "humanism" at first and still know why he used it, but I looked at the above described motives in the light of Mark 12:28-31. There is a FIRST and most important commandment and the second is called SECOND because it should not be set before the first one. So wanting to save sinners from going to hell is to obey the second most important commandment, (I love them, I want to see them saved for their sake) but wanting to see Jesus getting his reward, is to obey the first commandment (I want to witness for Him, that his sacrifice was not in vain). While the two commandments are closely connected,the priority must not be reversed.

I have since looked around me, at the efforts of Christians and of Churches and measured them against these two commandments:

Feeding the hungry? Awesome, but...#2 priority. Perhaps preaching the gospel first could put things into the right order.

Shoeboxes? I have filled them myself. Great for those poor kids! They do send a little piece of paper along with a gospel message, I think. Do people participate so these children will hear the gospel or so that they get gifts?Hmmm.

Cool Worship music? Do we primarily put this on to minister to the heart of God or so people have a worship experience? In all honesty?

It's everywhere. If you look around you and evaluate the Christian programs that are going on by this standard, you will see. Time and time again we reverse these commandments or even assume that if we fulfill the second we have fulfilled the first one! You will find countless activities in order to "love our neighbors". Find me some with the primary purpose of seeking to lift up His name and to bring glory to Him just because He is worthy. Love is an action word, we all know that but seem to forget it when it comes to loving God. I believe a new awareness of this must go ahead of any revival. May we love Him with all of our hearts and minds and souls first and foremost, before anything else.

PS: I don't think I have ever started a post,so I am posting this with a prayer that it is truthfully and clearly relating the things the Holy Spirit has been teaching me. I mostly come here to learn from those of you with much more wisdom and education :)

2011/2/2 23:22Profile

Re: Love your neighbor as yourself - in the right order of priorities

humbly, the First Royal Commandment from Jesus, the Schma, is your private ministry, its just between you and God

don't you think?...after all, only He knows your heart, and you strive to know His, this is after personal work. its foundational, and its private, you and Him...intimate, face to face, or our face's to the rug, correct me if i'm wrong.

the Second Royal Commandment, taken out of another different work, Leviticus, "love your neighbor as yourself", is our public ministry, preaching, benevolence, teaching, being an ear to the those who have few kin, a shoulder to cry on, etc etc(like a true Blood bought family)....that outward display of love is our public ministry, whatever form that be.

first Commandement---private, loving, intimate, the vertical, us up to Him, Jesus.

second commandment----fueled by the first essential foundational Relationship, walked out publicly with Grace. mercy, humility, love. the horizontal, us with each other.....and essential, we show this same love to all flesh, just as Jesus beckons to all flesh, just as life giving rain falls on the foolish as well. (i personally prefer "foolish" to refer to those who know not God, or are "mad" at God, or been maltreated by some former heinous man centered institution of religion...because in the Proverbs, a Marvelous teaching i find that both Paul, Peter, James ate of, use the word "fool" to those who need Help.

bellowing "wicked" at those not as blessed as we,( those, who enraptured with God as we are) is not the authoritative winsomeness we should walk with.

They're not "wicked", they just havent met the Christ that lives in you, we're the missing link.

and it sure is hard to be authoritactively winsome when your day is a nightmare, and its very easy to scorn the scornable.

It's very easy to stand outside a country stripclub, wearing a sandwich board, bellowing at arriving/departing patrons, that unless they repent they're gonna split hell wide open.

Not wise, many of them are inebriated, probably half know they;re sinning and feel utterly convicted and miserable at the depraved nature of their sin, only to have a hard edged rebuke up in their face...to a drunk.

If one felt called to "tavern" work (stripclubs) why not just very unthreatenly approach the "patron", beg their forgiveness at this intrusion and hand them a nice handwritten tract/invite to your church, and say, "If God is saying anything to you, He wanted me to let you know where you can go, if you need to get with God".......

period...walk off, no shouting, no bullhorns....just a silent prayer that Jesus used you to prick a heart, and that soul will be laying at the altar, dying to self.

forgive me for going off track, to summarize

1st Royal Commandment-private ministry

2nd Royal Commandment-public ministry fueled by the first.

2011/2/3 0:04

Dear Brother Sola Veritas, I'd like to just post Sola Scriptura on your thread and not add words to it - only to say that maybe we could see something more of this love from these verses - I pray over them often and am striving in the proper way to live this out as well - in Spirit & Truth.
Thank you and GOD Bless!

Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Lev 19:34 But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Deu 4:29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.

Deu 6:4, 5 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Mat 5:44, 45 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven

Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

Mar 12:30, 31 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Mar 12:33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

Luk 6:27-29 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

Luk 6:31-33 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

Luk 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

Luk 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Joh 5:42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.

Joh 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Joh 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

Joh 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Joh 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

Joh 15:17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Joh 17:26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Rom 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another

Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

1Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

1Co 8:3 But if any man love God, the same is known of Him.

1Co 16:22 If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Gal 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

Php 2:2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

1Th 3:12 And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you

1Th 4:9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

2Th 3:5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.

2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works

Heb 13:1 Let brotherly love continue.

Jas 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Jas 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

Jas 2:8,9 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently

1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 3:11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1Jn 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

1Jn 3:16-19 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1Jn 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

~1Jn 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1Jn 4:11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

~1Jn 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1Jn 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

1Jn 4:20 ,21 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

2011/2/3 0:57

I'm sorry - I missed one - though even all of these aren't all of them.

1Jn 2:9-11 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

2011/2/3 1:35

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy