SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 2THESS 2:7 Could Micheal the Archangel be the restrainer if not why not?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread

Re:

Why is it that we only get what others have written or have spoken rather than direct dialoge or replies to our replies on preterism?

Can't listen to audio with this server, even if I wanted to.

Pet doctrine I would say, when it's handled in this fashion and there's little conversation with the Saints on the many other topics here. Must be very important to you Savannah that we not believe that there's much more ahead, that "is written" in The Revelation,etc..

I'm wondering why it's 'this' important to you and why you just post and take-off or hit and run.

Are there any other topics you feel this strongly about countering, that you can get into actual two-way discussions over with this Body?

2011/2/10 15:46

Re: 2THESS 2:7 Could Micheal the Archangel be the restrainer if not why not?

Hello Approved,

Quote:
The word "Finish" in "Finish the Transgression" is not the same word. Here it is "Kala", and not "Kata" in Thess.

It's almost surprising they're so similar! 'Kala' is Hebrew, and 'kata' is Greek.

I spent some time trying to figure out which word the Septuagint had chosen when translating 'kala' and I think it's 'teleo'.

The only place this word appears in the New Testament is as 'must be accomplished' in

Luke 22:37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

The prophecy to which Jesus is referring there, is

Isaiah 53:12 Therefore will I divide him [a portion] with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Here's what Strong's says

5055 teleo {tel-eh'-o}
from 5056; TDNT - 8:57,1161; v
AV - finish 8, fulfil 7, accomplish 4, pay 2, perform 1, expire 1, misc 3; 26
1) to bring to a close, to finish, to end
1a) passed, finished
2) to perform, execute, complete, fulfil, (so that the thing done corresponds to what has been said, the order, command etc.)
2a) with special reference to the subject matter, to carry out the contents of a command
2b) with reference also to the form, to do just as commanded, and generally involving the notion of time, to perform the last act which completes a process, to accomplish, fulfil
3) to pay
3a) of tribute

Vines lists

1) Accomplish, Accomplishment [teleo]

2) End, Ending [teleo]

3) Finish [teleo]

4) Fulfill, Fulfilling, Fulfillment [teleo]

5) Go (went), Go onward, etc. [teleo]

6) Pay (Verb), Payment [teleo]

7) Perform, Performance [teleo]

I think that's pretty clear!

Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

So I concede, 'restrain' is not mentioned through the Greek, and, on checking Newberry, it appears not to be in the Hebrew either. His marginal notes indicate

to finish [shut_up] the transgresson

to make_an_end__of [seal_up] sins

to make_reconciliation_for [atonement] iniquity

to bring_in everlasting (plural) righteousness

to seal_up vision and prophecy [prophet]

to anoint most (singular) [holy of holies] holy (plural)

1 Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether [we be] Jews or Gentiles, whether [we be] bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

I'm not sure what the Hebrew justification is for choosing Holy One, over holy ones. Clearly, it is the one Holy Spirit who anoints those who set themselves apart unto God.

2011/2/10 19:27

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy