SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : devotion on humility

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
learnermike

Oklahoma

devotion on humility

at the local church that i am a part of we have a 15 min devotional time after singing. I have been asked to lead out in next week's devotional. Can anyone think of some OT examples of humility? (that is the main focus of the devotional) How about OT examples of pride?

Thank you

2011/2/1 11:04Profile

Re: devotion on humility

Do you have a Bible Program Mike? Like www.e-sword.net, where you can do a 'word search' from the Bible.... like typing in "humble" and "pride".

I don't believe we should do other's homework for them. :)

We truly do need to study to show ourselves approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

We do more harm than good to always answer other's Bible questions. And that's the truth.

Besides, you've got the rest of the week to get Blessed, digging into The WORD of 'LIFE'.

GOD Bless!

2011/2/1 12:12
learnermike

Oklahoma

Re:

Well, SI is kind of like Bible software or using a concordance. I am typing in humility to see what "pops up". I will still do my homework. I agree with what you have said.

2011/2/1 12:25Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

I agree with Jesus as God. You might however consider a different course than the obvious as men should always be brought to Christ. Was there humility in the plan of the Godhead? Might that humility define and lay bare all men who would look upon it and come to life because of it? I would never approach any lesson, proclamation, or testimony without asking God to supply it to me. He may give you direction while you have submitted yourself to prayer. He may also give you insight as you research and He may change your direction to His the very last moment. When He does this He displays His wonderful Grace and Guidence to you and it is a wonderful thing to be the recipient of His work.

2011/2/2 10:19Profile
bobmcd510

In Isaiah 6 we have Isaiah seeing the Lord "high and lifted up". Then in v5 we see Isaiah see himself in a true light because he saw God:

Then I said, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

There is a false humility called "low self-esteem" which says "I am good for nothing", but the focus is still on self. Isaiah does not have this, but he has a true humility. This is proved in verse 8:

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah did not have 'low self-esteem' but he had true humility, which thought nothing of himself and all about the Lord - this is why he was quick to jump and be the one to serve God... he thought much of God and "forgot about" himself.

CS Lewis said, "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less."

Isaiah is a great OT example of true humility gained after seeing the Lord in a true light.

2011/2/2 12:09Profile
whyme

Re:

Nebechenezer for pride and Nebechenezer for humility.

2011/2/2 13:47Profile
learnermike

Oklahoma

Re:

Thanks for your feedback. It seemed to go well. I only told my wife and the song leader what I was going to speak on. After I spoke, a dear brother got up to lead the children's lesson. He did not tell me what he was speaking on before hand. He had prepared a children's lesson (which is taught in the presence of the adults) on the exact same subject using many of the exact same scriptures. It was a little sobering. perhaps our church did need to hear a message on humility. I know after I spoke about it I felt a greater responsibility and desire to apply it by God's grace. May this be a continual work in my heart and in the heart of every follower of Jesus.

2011/2/6 21:36Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

I know I am in a little late with the reply, but your question made me chuckle. I was reminded of the man in the OT who is called the meekest man on the face of the earth.

Num 12:3
(3) (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)

What is so funny about this statement is that Moses is the author.

True humility is accepting whatever it is that God says about you. No more, no less. Moses was truly humble in that he could bring himself to accept what God said of him and say that as well (He spoke and wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit). For Moses to hear that statement from the Lord and say, "No way. I could never say that of myself." could have meant that he valued the possible ridicule of man for making such a statement more than he valued the opinion of God. But he humbly accepted God's word and spoke it.

Think neither more of yourself nor less than what God thinks and says.

2011/2/7 19:04Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy