SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Sabbath Keeping - Part II - The NEW Testament

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
reproach

Re:

Quote:
The whole point of Jesus being Lord of the sabbath, I don't believe is to free me from it so that I can do whatever I want on that day. Will He condemn a soul for observing His day on Saturday or Sunday ... or whatever day they observe it on? Was that really the point?

Ruthanna, you miss the point if you think God just gave us ONE day where we are "not supposed to do what WE want".

2011/2/1 20:47Profile

Re:

Brother "wedied", we're not to forsake the fellowshipping of ourselves together, and all the more as we are seeing that day approaching - thus my signature - but there is nothing in the NT to tell us which day that MUST be on. I believe it should be as much as logically possible, especially now.

What I meant was 99.95% of Christians - if they do fellowship on just one day a week - spend the rest of that day as they please and then the rest of that week with a "hit or miss" type walk.

What grieves the Spirit of GOD the most is that we seem to Only concentrate on what Jesus did on the cross for us and not "the man" Christ Jesus - Who was the absolute representation not only of GOD - that is when He is called the "Son of GOD" --- but where He is called "the son of man" is where we miss His entire purpose - which was to be our only example of how to walk, being "led by The Spirit", as He was.

As He was in the world - so are we - if we are indwelled & filled with the same Spirit that rose Him from the dead.

We are to walk as He walked - by a complete dependence on His Spirit to lead, guide, give us the words, give us discernment, wisdom, knowledge, doctrine, direction on what to do - minute by minute --- as He did.
That is "walking in the Spirit" - but because GOD Knows that this "walk" is and would be a very difficult thing for us to do - He, in His Mercy, gave us all of the "Dos and Don'ts" even of the N.T..

If we loved GOD with all of our hearts, minds, souls, and strength and loved others as ourselves, and are "willing to do His will" - then these "dos and don'ts" would not be necessary --- because to be Spirit-Led is to fulfill all Godliness or Christlikeness. We wouldn't need rules because we'd love His Body so much, we'd want to fellowship in love with them without needing to be told to.
We'd be governed by HIS Heart for the lost.
We'd "hear His Voice" because we wanted to and have the mind of Christ.
We'd want to get our words from The Father and not from ourselves, as He did, while He was on earth, being our Example.
We'd not think of ourselves - as He didn't. He was 100% self-sacrificial - even to emptying Himself and becoming "obedient" to the Father.
We'd pray as He prayed. He'd stay up all night sometimes to pray --- that's total child-like dependence upon the Father.
He wouldn't speak unless He was given the words, He said.
He wouldn't act or move, unless the Father directed it.

He was 100% led of the Spirit, by choice, as our example of how we all are to walk - as He did - led of The Spirit in 100% dependence on Him for EVERYTHING we think, say or do - minute by minute --- but, we don't - so, we have NT laws as well....
The dos and donts that wouldn't be necessary for the Apostles through Jesus, to put into writing, if humans could just die to self and not lean on their own understanding and in all of their ways, acknowledge Him, so He could direct our paths.
If we could just love Him and others enough to allow that death process that He exhibited while yet alive as one of us.
We possess ALL that He had, while He was here on earth, as a human being - flesh... but we don't seem to grasp that. We'd rather just walk by dos and don'ts and pick and choose which of those we like or dislike, rather than die to ourselves and be led.

An example would be - you're on your way "to church" and The LORD speaks to your heart to go to the slum instead and witness. Or to the old-people's-home and their awaits just one person there that Jesus knows is ready to hear the gospel - so you go - and even if you see no fruit - you know that you've obeyed GOD.

We hear testimonies like this every day and are "awed" by how GOD "spoke to somebody" and something awesome happened - but this should be "the normal Christian life."

Maybe, if we wanted to enough - we could pick up a directional manual written by a brother and though it's a lot to read, try reading it. Walking in the Spirit was Watchman Nee's speciality. He had his eschatology a bit askewed, but so did many back then - but this topic of walking in the Spirit was the one topic that The LORD had annoited that man to teach about. "The Spiritual Man" and other such books are a blessing to this Church, that's lost this principle teaching of our Example Jesus.

Watch Jesus' life and not merely His death, that purchased our way to Heaven. His life was all that ours must/should be.

GOD help us all to see His Royal Law and the law of The Spirit and to walk in both, and not the letter of the law, only. Amen, and Amen?

2011/2/1 21:39
wedied

Re:

JIG,

What exactly were you addressing?

What was your main point?

2011/2/1 22:28Profile

Re:

wedied, the 1st two paragraphs was a reply of my understanding of your first post on page 2.

The remainder is what we need to see of Jesus' 'life' on earth and what it should mean toward how we live ours.

2011/2/2 3:22
wedied

Re:

Quote:
That is "walking in the Spirit" - but because GOD Knows that this "walk" is and would be a very difficult thing for us to do - He, in His Mercy, gave us all of the "Dos and Don'ts" even of the N.T..

Slight correction: God knows that this "walk" is and would be IMPOSSIBLE for us to do, period without His indwelling Spirit, without His life in us.

Not sure what you mean by "Dos and Don'ts".

I thought we walk by the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus. His laws (your dos and don'ts) are written in our heart and He leads us by His Spirit.

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

I suspect that this agrees with you and that we are just probably using different words.

But, I am sure you will agree that this Christian walk is absolutely impossible apart from His life indwelling us.

2011/2/2 12:34Profile

Re:

reposting - partial quote from original post -

What grieves the Spirit of GOD the most is that we seem to Only concentrate on what Jesus did on the cross for us and not "the man" Christ Jesus - Who was the absolute representation not only of GOD - that is when He is called the "Son of GOD"

--- but where He is called "the son of man" is where we miss His entire purpose - which was to be our only example of how to walk, being "led by The Spirit", as He was.

As He was in the world - so are we - if we are indwelled & filled with the same Spirit that rose Him from the dead.

If we loved GOD with all of our hearts, minds, souls, and strength and loved others as ourselves, and are "willing to do His will" - then these "dos and don'ts" would not be necessary --- because to be Spirit-Led is to fulfill all Godliness or Christlikeness. We wouldn't need rules because we'd love His Body so much, we'd want to fellowship in love with them without needing to be told to.

We'd be governed by HIS Heart for the lost.

We'd "hear His Voice" because we wanted to and have the mind of Christ.

We'd want to get our words from The Father and not from ourselves, as He did, while He was on earth, being our Example.

We'd not think of ourselves - as He didn't. He was 100% self-sacrificial - even to emptying Himself and becoming "obedient" to the Father.

We'd pray as He prayed. He'd stay up all night sometimes to pray --- that's total child-like dependence upon the Father.

He wouldn't speak unless He was given the words, He said.

He wouldn't act or move, unless the Father directed it.

He was 100% led of the Spirit, by choice, as our example of how we all are to walk - as He did - led of The Spirit in 100% dependence on Him for EVERYTHING we think, say or do - minute by minute --- but, we don't - so, we have NT laws as well....
The dos and donts that wouldn't be necessary for the Apostles through Jesus, to put into writing, if humans could just die to self and not lean on their own understanding and in all of their ways, acknowledge Him, so He could direct our paths.
If we could just love Him and others enough to allow that death process that He exhibited while yet alive as one of us.
We possess ALL that He had, while He was here on earth, as a human being - flesh... but we don't seem to grasp that. We'd rather just walk by dos and don'ts and pick and choose which of those we like or dislike, rather than die to ourselves and be led.

2011/2/2 15:00
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

enduretotheend, you had to admit in a later post that Jesus kept the mosaic law, but your first posts left out this important "little" detail. Was that intentional? It provides a twisted picture of Jesus when you say that he did not keep the law because then he would have sinned. Can you see that point? I take issue with careless handling of scripture like that and libertad made the same mistake.
Read Exodus 16:29 in context and you will see that it refered to not going out to gather manna, so Jesus did not break the law when he left the house on the Sabbath. He also didn't break the law when he healed on the Sabbath, because it was only in the pharisees' clouded thinking that this was prohibited "work". Jesus broke the pharisees' additions to the law of God because they had completely lost sight of what He truly required.
While I agree that we have our Sabbath rest in Jesus under the new Covenant, we should not misquote/misinterpret scripture in order to prove this point. Or any point.

2011/2/2 18:36Profile
libertad

Re:

He did travel, though.

2011/2/2 18:39Profile
Giggles

Re:

Good point SV.

2011/2/2 18:47Profile
restinhim

Re:

Exodus 16:29, “let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.”