SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Nature of Prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

The Nature of Prayer

I have a book that I have had for a long time.I have taken it out of my little library and ask myself 'why don't I use this more often?' Even though it shows alot of wear on it.

The book is called 'The sword of the spirit, the Word of God: A handbook for scriptural intercession' by Joy Lamb.

There is a common theme in the book that I find pushes me away. With each reading everything starts out with 'THANK YOU' which is then incorporated by a verse of scripture. It comes across to me more as a book for praise than actual prayer. I don't think anyone goes into prayer with everything being 'thank you .....'

What are your thoughts?

2011/1/31 8:43Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: The Nature of Prayer

First, let me say, I have never read, or even heard of this book, until now.

I know nothing of the author and am unfamiliar with the name. So, what I say can easily be rejected.

However, a few scriptures came to me whilst reading this, that she starts every prayer with thank you.

Daniel 9v4, 'And I prayed to the Lord my God and made confession, and said, O Lord, great and awesome God...'

For confession, Daniel appealed to God.

John 11v41, Jesus thanks God before raising Lazarus from the dead.

Matthew 26v39, Jesus is praying to let the cup pass from Him. There's no mention of Him thanking God.

We see in 1 Samuel 1 that Hannah is praying without the use of words and once again, there is no mention of thanks.

However, in 1 Timothy 2v1 it speaks of giving of thanks.

It's not mandatory to start every prayer with thanks, that would appear to become something of a habit, and might eventually not be heartfelt, but from memory.

Just a few thoughts.

2011/1/31 9:08Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: The Nature of Prayer

We enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. " Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name"

I am not familiar with the book referred to but any approach to God should be filled with thanks, praise and adoration. He is worthy and already knows our "grocery list", which we should make mention of.

I teach the children I work with, you can't get to first base with God without thanksgiving or gratefulness. Second base is praise, third is worship, bringing around to home is intimacy which creates a powerful circuit of life for a believer.

Give thanks to the lord for He is good!

Ruf

2011/1/31 9:12Profile
Ruthanna

Re:

The verse also that comes to my mind is:
Be careful [anxious] for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

2011/1/31 17:32Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray, he began the prayer with an acknowledgement of who God is and praised him for it. Here is the Scripture, Matthew 6:9-15: (NASB)

9Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.

10‘Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.

11‘Give us this day our daily bread.

12‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’]
14“For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15“But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

One thing about the LORD's prayer is that it is loaded with awesome theology. Analyze it verse by verse. Meditate on one verse everyday, asking the LORD to reveal truths concerning the concepts spoken. Doing so will leave you with a sense of awe...

BTW, I know nothing about the book you are referring to,nor do I know anything about the author.

2011/1/31 23:03Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

If I remember correctly I think I got this book from a weekend retreat that I went to dealing with homosexuality and how to counsel those struggling with it.

I think the 'LORDS PRAYER' is definately the best model and not just saying it but using its form to pray as well. I think many people in church say the Lord's Prayer and don't even know what they are saying. Just like the song 'Amazing Grace', they sing it because it is a song and nothing more. They say it because it is a prayer but it doesn't come from the heart.

2011/2/1 16:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy