SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : expositors study Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryB

expositors study Bible

I have one, but after looking through it once, I do not care to open it again. It could be just my taste in Bibles, but I just don't like a Bible with the commentators' words in red and Christs" words are in black. I'm not trying to discourage you from buying it, but I felt led by the Holy Spirit to not read from it.
Also, I have been considering buying the Strand Study Bible.

2011/1/30 3:37Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: expositors study Bible

Quote:
I have one, but after looking through it once, I do not care to open it again. It could be just my taste in Bibles, but I just don't like a Bible with the commentators' words in red and Christs" words are in black. I'm not trying to discourage you from buying it, but I felt led by the Holy Spirit to not read from it.

Many across China and other countries do not have "one" bible in their possession. They only at times have a page or 2 to use. To be honest I do not think God cares if the words of Christ are in black or red. May we see that our abilitiy to buy dozens of bible is or at least can be a sin for many of us. We just need one bible. May God open our eyes to eternity, how we use our resources and a church in the rest of the world that needs our resources that we use for ourselves so much.

I add myself as guilty to these things and God has been changing my heart. I used to care much about bible translations and these arguments but now I could care less, I want to live Christianity and just not have opinions on it.

2011/1/30 3:42Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Hello Greg,

In the 30+ years that I have followed Jesus, I have only paid list price for 2 Bibles. All others, including 2 Matthew Henry Commentaries, have been practically free at yard sales and flea markets. Many who had the Bibles for sale would tell me they did not feel right charging for them and would give it to me, others priced them so low I could not refuse. This way I have plenty I can share should the Lord occasion the need.

I would not turn my back on a tool for studying God's word simply because of the color of the print but if I felt such an aversion to a particular book I might consider asking God if there is some other reason I should not be reading it and not the colors. Perhaps there are portions that are misleading but not blatantly and that is what actually is causing me to turn away from it?

Kind regards,
white stone

2011/1/31 14:17Profile
knitefall

Quote:
Perhaps there are portions that are misleading but not blatantly and that is what actually is causing me to turn away from it?

Hmm, yes. I think we're on the right track.

2011/1/31 15:00Profile
knitefall

Quote:
...not led of the Holy Ghost to read it...

Oh yeah? that's funny because there are many who have gladly said they have more understanding now of the Word of God than ever after getting an Expositor's Study Bible.

Granted, not everyone is perfect in explanation but who said man needs to be perfect in order to receive God's Grace?

I have checked this Bible many times in my collection. The words are in red because it contrasts the best with our eyes. Green was tried and even blue I think. This is one of the best study Bibles a person can get these days. It really helps to place emphasis on the Cross for Victory and not man.

Let me ask one more question, "which words are more anointed in a RED LETTER EDITION bible -red... or black ink?

hope that helps-

2011/1/31 15:01Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

While it's true that if I did not have a Bible, I would take any English Bible regardless of the color of the text, I would prefer one in all black text if I had a choice. Stated simply, I hate red letter Bibles (the red text that is). Red lettering implies that the words in black text aren't the words of God. It also implies that the black text isn't as important as the red text. I had a hard time finding a giant print NKJV Bible without red lettering until I found one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Stanley-Life-Principles-Bible/dp/0718014626

And I love it!

2011/1/31 15:03Profile
TimmyJoe

Panama City, FL

Re:

Hmm I feel like im missing something in this thread? Are we talking about Jimmy Swaggart's study bible? If I do have one, and has a lot of good information... at the same time there are also things Im not so sure about (ex. Pre-adam civilization) but that is with all commentaries. He gleans a lot from the writings of Finis Dake. Don't worry about the color of print, that is meaningless. But the best thing to do is just get a simple translation you can understand and obey it.

2011/1/31 15:34Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i am old and set in my ways and a bible with the comments in the same column as the scripture is too distracting to me.jimp

2011/1/31 18:05Profile
restinhim

Re:

One thing that I am glad I never did was to buy a Bible that had a commentary in it. I was raised Catholic and they tell you in their Bible how to think about a passage. They nullify God's Word.

When I witness to some Catholics, they turn to those comments and it is like their mind has a vise-grip on it and they cannot think for themselves. Well, in fact, they are afraid to.

Probably one of the most beneficial things the Lord led me to do and I have done it my whole Christian walk, is to stay away from commentaries. Have I looked up some things? Sure. But I err towards, praying and asking the Holy Spirit to explain to me what is being said. I find that the Word explains itself and the Holy Spirit is the glorious interpreter.

Of course this way of doing things, has resulted in a lot of disagreement with the way man does things today.

Flesh can be so deceptively smooth and religious and holy yet be a complete counterfeit. We need discernment more than anything today.

2011/1/31 18:31Profile
knitefall

Re:

Good news everyone! If you would like to do more research on the Expositor's Study Bible, they are selling it today for a reduced price. People are buying them 100's an hour
at JSM dot org.

click the SBN button toward the bottom and listen/watch LIVE! They may show it so you all can see for yourselves and make up your own minds. Study to show thyself approved!

peace.

2011/2/1 11:02Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy