SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What Billy Graham would do different

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Giggles

What Billy Graham would do different

Billy Graham was just interviewed. Here is what he said to the question:

If you could, would you go back and do anything differently?

"Yes, of course. I'd spend more time at home with my family, and I'd study more and preach less. I wouldn't have taken so many speaking engagements, including some of the things I did over the years that I probably didn't really need to do—weddings and funerals and building dedications, things like that. Whenever I counsel someone who feels called to be an evangelist, I always urge them to guard their time and not feel like they have to do everything.

I also would have steered clear of politics. I'm grateful for the opportunities God gave me to minister to people in high places; people in power have spiritual and personal needs like everyone else, and often they have no one to talk to. But looking back I know I sometimes crossed the line, and I wouldn't do that now."

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/januaryweb-only/qabillygraham.html?start=1

2011/1/26 15:03Profile
Compton

Re: What Billy Graham would do different

Honest regrets from a faithful man.

2011/1/26 15:40Profile

"I also would have steered clear of politics."

Servants of Christ, BURN that into your hearts, minds and souls.

2011/1/26 17:22
blandina

Re:

Yes, sadly, the False Prophet riding the Beast is the marriage of Religion and Politics.

Synonym for Politics is Compromise, Bribery and Power.

Come out of her My people.

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Pro 16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

2011/1/26 17:39Profile
blandina

Re:

Amazingly honest and I appreciate him for that.

Some very good lessons in this quote by him, also. Good lessons for old and young alike. Any of us whipper-snappers who want to do "great" things for God. What would He do without us!!

"Yes, of course. I'd spend more time at home with my family, and I'd study more and preach less. I wouldn't have taken so many speaking engagements, including some of the things I did over the years that I probably didn't really need to do—weddings and funerals and building dedications, things like that. Whenever I counsel someone who feels called to be an evangelist, I always urge them to guard their time and not feel like they have to do everything.

2011/1/26 17:43Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

This was a revelation to Paul Washer as well. It was good that he recognized it earlier in life rather than later so that he could teach it to others by example. I understand he does not travel much without his family. He now sees them as the first priority of his ministry. Oh how that would change the face of Christianity in America! What good is it to give bread to others while your family whom you are responsible for is malnurished and starving?

On a different note it is interesting to hear Mr. Graham speak about how elated he would be if just four or five percent of those who came forward in all of the crusades making a profession of faith are truly born again.

2011/1/26 19:15Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

"I'm grateful for the opportunities God gave me to minister to people in high places; people in power have spiritual and personal needs like everyone else, and often they have no one to talk to. But looking back I know I SOMETIMES crossed the line, and I wouldn't do that now."

Sometimes.

I think that the definition of "politics" varies from person to person. Not everyone holds a "synonym for politics" as being "Compromise, Bribery and Power." Some could argue that "politics" is merely sharing your voice through a vote...or a man that God raised up and set up to bring about a particular event or act justly. Some could even argue that going to a judge (like the persistent widow) is actually engaging in "politics."

I suppose that someone could easily argue that Paul the apostle meandered into "politics" via his desire to bring the Gospel to Caesar. Of course, this wasn't really politics, but the spiritual influence of politicians.

Our greatest calling is to bring Christ to the people of this fallen world. That should be the underlying motivation for all that we do.

Still, while I live on this fallen world, I continue to go to work in order to provide for my family. I drive on roads built by our tax dollars (of which, ironically, many Christians who have "come out from amongst her" still file in order to receive a refund). I obey the laws that are set up by governors and, by proxy, God. I feel the liberty to vote (which is merely sharing a voice...or, in my case, a prayerful opinion). If there is a gross injustice against my family, I feel that I may have the freedom to go to a judge or elected leader. Many fear God...but still honor the king (II Peter 2:17).

Over the years, I have often noticed that some of the most "non-political" believers end up being the most vocal on the matter. Yet, many believers still feel that we can maintain our relationship and service to the Lord while we also fulfill our responsibilities to reach out to ALL people (kings, governors, the poor and fellow believers) and what we consider natural responsibilities as we walk through the wilderness of this world...for such a time as this.

2011/1/26 19:27Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
On a different note it is interesting to hear Mr. Graham speak about how elated he would be if just four or five percent of those who came forward in all of the crusades making a profession of faith are truly born again.

No doubt about it.

But had you been among the few that came to the LORD because of his preaching, you would be ever so grateful. The monies spent to put that meeting on would have made it all worthwhile.

Remember the story of how Jesus healed the man filed with devils? How these devils asked Jesus for permission to go into the swine and he granted it to them? and how this financial loss frightened the locals where they asked Jesus to leave? Ever consider the financial loss to this community just because one man was delivered? I would guess this loss was substantial...what value does one place on a soul?

2011/1/26 19:29Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Quote:
Remember the story of how Jesus healed the man filed with devils? How these devils asked Jesus for permission to go into the swine and he granted it to them? and how this financial loss frightened the locals where they asked Jesus to leave? Ever consider the financial loss to this community just because one man was delivered? I would guess this loss was substantial...what value does one place on a soul?

Good thing to think about! Thanks!

2011/1/26 19:30Profile
blandina

Re:

Nevertheless, it takes a lot of humility for him to make these admissions.

Many (myself included) look back with regret on much of our "spiritual activity", knowing that much of it was the arm of the flesh.

We will all make many mistakes, even losing our first love. The great Ephesian church lost their first love and was chastised by the Lord. They may have become proud on how good they were at "doing" this thing called Christianity. And yet, it is about knowing Him and hearing His voioe and being led by the Spirit.

2011/1/26 20:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy